The Helen Hayes theatre, located in 240 West 44th Street, is officially the smallest Broadway theatre. With only 597 seats that are spread across two sections, orchestra and mezzanine, the theatre is typically used for small, intimate plays as opposed to big splashy musicals. Originally named the Little theatre, the venue was designed by the architect Harry Creighton Ingalls of the firm Ingalls & Hoffman, and built by Winthrop Ames. Since 1979, the theatre has been privately owned and managed by Martin Markinson and Donald Tick. In 1983, the theatre was renamed in honor of acclaimed theatre actress Helen Hayes. Presently, when the theatre is not being used for theatrical productions, CBS uses the venue for radio recordings. Some of the acclaimed productions in the theatre include The Subject Was Roses, Charlie and Algernon, Prelude to a Kiss, Shakespeare For My Father, The Last Night of Ballyhoo, Say Goodnight, Gracie, and Rock of Ages.
Starting April 21, 2020, the stunning renewal of 2003 Tony Award-winning play Take Me Out makes it return to Broadway at teh Helen Hayes Theatre!
Looking forward to watching Take Me Out? Our Helen Hayes theatre seating chart will help you with all the info you need to make your Broadway experience special. Also, here’s a handy link to the seat availability and real time prices for different seats/dates for Take Me Out on Headout.
Address: The Helen Hayes Theatre, 240 W 44th St, New York, NY 10036, USA
Seating Capacity: 597
Check out the Helen Hayes Theatre Seating Chart here.
Take Me Out - Playing At The Helen Hayes Theatre
Richard Greenberg is a renowned playwright, and best known for Take Me Out. A Pulitzer Prize finalist, and Drama Desk Award-winner, Greenberg is famous for his portrayal of middle-class American life. Director Scott Ellis promises to bring forth a gripping revival of Greenberg’s award-winning play. Renowned star Patrick J. Adams is in a lead role, with well-known actors Jesse Tyler Ferguson and Brandom J. Dirden by his side. Adams is famous for his role as Mike Ross in the TV series Suits, while Ferguson is well-known for portraying Mitchell Pritchett in the TV sitcom, Modern Family. Ferguson is a Drama Desk Award winner, with five Emmy Award nominations.
Darren Lemming is the star center fielder of the Empires. At the peak of his career, Lemming enjoys immense popularity and success in baseball. He decides to come out, and the reception reveals the long-held unspoken prejudices against the gay community. Several friendships are strained, and teammates turn hostile, while others are extremely supportive of Lemming’s decision to come out. The Empires struggle to rally for a championship season, as fans and players begin to question loyalties and the price of victory
Show Timings - April 2020 onwards
Tuesday and Thursday - 7 PM
Wednesday and Saturday - 2 PM & 8 PM
Friday - 8:00 PM
Sunday - 3:00 PM
Monday - No Show
To be confirmed
There are steps into the theatre from the sidewalk, but a wheelchair ramp is provided. Please note that where there are steps either into or within the theatre, and the theatre staff will be unable to provide assistance.
Accessibility: There are no steps into the theatre from the sidewalk.
Restroom: There is one ladies room which is wheelchair accessible, located on the orchestra level with no steps. This restroom is also available for men in wheelchairs. The men’s restroom is located in the lower lounge, down 2 flights of steps.
Concessions: Concessions are on the main level.
Assisted Listening Device: : The theatre will have access to the Loop Assistive Listening System - a wireless technology that transmits speech or music on stage directly to theatergoers' cochlear implants and hearing aids with T-coils.
- Audio Description is provided for one performance during each of the productions playing at the Helen Hayes Theatre. Check with the staff to learn more about the specific show timings.
- The Helen Hayes theatre is accessible, with an elevator reaching from the lower level café to the mezzanine.
- What The Constitution Means To Me is a 120-minute long play, with no intermission.
- While some seats in the orchestra under the overhang may have a poor view of the very top of the stage, a very few plays that are mounted on this theater utilize upper level space on the stage, rendering this concern insignificant.
- The Helen Hayes theatre box office has a wheelchair accessible window to help disabled people buy their own tickets from the box office
The Helen Hayes theatre is located at 240 West 44th Street, along with most other Broadway theatres. Since the Theatre District is one of the most popular destinations in New York City, getting to the Helen Hayes theatre isn’t challenging at all.
If you’re planning on taking the subway, there are plenty of options you can pick from depending your starting point. You can either take the A, C, or E train to 42nd St–Port Authority or the N, Q, or R train to 42nd St and trains S, 1, 2, 3, or 7 to 42nd St–Times Square. There are also plenty of parking spaces close to the theatre. Bright Management at 329 West 46th Street or LAZ Parking at 247 West 46th Street are good options for safe parking around Helen Hayes theatre.
Restaurants near Helen Hayes Theatre
1. Ellen’s Stardust Diner: This multi-level, '50s-themed diner with singing servers has an expansive menu of classic American fare.2. Supernova : An airy, window-filled eatery in 226 West 52nd Street, Supernova serves New American fare in modern digs.
3. The Palm West Side: This clubby eatery serves high-end steakhouse fare, seafood and diverse wines.
4. Russian Samovar: Get a taste of authentic Russian in Broadway at this iconic eatery with live piano music to accompany the delicacies.
5. Blue Fin: A classy restaurant which serves pre-theater seafood and sushi served in a trendy setting with a glass-enclosed bar.
6. Gallaghers Steakhouse: An iconic joint for classic cuts and raw bar items in renovated digs, located on 228 West 52nd Street.
Check out our theatre district restaurants guide for even more fantastic dining options in and around Broadway district. It has everything you're looking for. And more.