The Richard Rodgers Theatre opened in 1924 and, originally called the 46th Street Theatre, it was renamed in 1990 to honor the legendary composer Richard Rodgers, whose shows defined Broadway for more than three decades. This theatre has been a house of hits, hosting a long line of famed musicals including Anything Goes, Guys and Dolls, Damn Yankees, How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying, The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas, Nine, Chicago, and Movin’ Out.
The theatre was refurbished in 2006 and houses The Richard Rodgers Gallery featuring historic memorabilia from its namesake’s storied career.Since 2015, the Tony Winner for Best Musical and international smash hit Hamilton has called the Richard Rodgers Theatre home.
If you’re looking to catch the show, our Richard Rodgers Theatre guide is here to help you find the best seats.
Address: 226 W 46th St, New York, NY 10036
Seating Capacity: 1324
Front Mezzanine: 796
Rear Mezzanine: 252
Check out the Richard Rodgers Theatre here.
Top Trending Shows on Broadway
Orchestra: The Richard Rodgers Theatre Orchestra is step-free for all patrons from rows CC-H and can be reached easily from the main lobby. Six wheelchair spaces for each performance are all located across row H in the Left and Right Orchestra, whilst ten step-free aisle transfer seats are spread across rows A, C, D, E and F.
Mezzanine: The Front Mezzanine is located up one flight of stairs from the Orchestra and step-free lobby, with a handrail available on every other row when stepping down to seats. The Rear Mezzanine is located up one flight of stairs from the Orchestra and step-free lobby, with a handrail available on every other row when stepping up to seats.
Restroom: Restrooms are available downstairs. Wheelchair accessible restroom is available on the orchestra level.
Accessible Seating: Wheelchair seating is available in the orchestra level.
Water Fountain:Water fountain available in lower lounge.
Hearing Assistance: Headsets and inductive loops are available at theater. Photo ID required.
Wheelchair Access: The theater is wheelchair accessible from the street entrance.
- Rows after S are much more affected by the Mezzanine overhang; patrons may have to duck a little to see elevated walkways in Hamilton.
- Stadium-style seating starts at row L for clear views down to the stage.
- Center Orchestra rows B-H are some of the best seats in the house.
- Accessible seats available step-free in the front half of the Orchestra.
The Richard Rodgers Theatre is located at 226 West 46th Street, within walking distance of many other Broadway theaters. People visiting New York will find a multitude of hotels and restaurants nearby, with plenty of famous attractions including Times Square and Central Park less than 20 minutes away
The closest subway station to the theater is 49th Street, on the N, Q, R or W line. From the station, visitors should walk south on Broadway towards West 47th Street, before turning right onto West 46th Street. This walk should take no more than five minutes.
Getting to Richard Rodgers Theatre is just as easy above ground. The area around the theater is well served by buses including the M20 and the M104, which stop between 8th Avenue and West 46th Street, and the M7 which stops between 7th Avenue and West 44th Street. Walking from the bus stops to the theater takes less than five minutes.
Restaurants near Richard Rodgers Theatre, NYC
You can make your Broadway experience extra special with our hand-picked selection of the best restaurants near Richard Rodgers Theatre. If you’re looking for an in-depth guide for food options in the Theatre District, we have got you covered. Looking for a quick bite before or after your Broadway show? Here our some of our favorite restaurants around the Richard Rodgers Theatre:
1. JR Restaurant: Stop in for a day in the city at JR Restaurant for deli sandwiches, burgers and beer.
2. Patzeria Perfect Pizza: You'll find more than just pizza at the top restaurants in New York. Try some of the local top dishes for a treat. Try Neapolitan Pizza and see what all the fuss is about.
3. Bond 45 Italian Kitchen & Bar: Bond 45 is best known for its vegetable antipasto bar which offers a rotating selection of market vegetables and features an expansive menu that include specialty veal chops, seafood, house made pasta, thin crust pizza and breakfast all day.
4. Pergola Des Artistes:If you're looking for good food at a reasonable price, Pergola is for you. If you want haute cuisine, you won't find it here. Many of the recipes were brought over from small villages in France.
5. The Mean Fiddler: The mean fiddler is a Sports bar and Irish pub in Times Square Manhattan, offering the best bottomless brunch, outdoor brunch, and happy hour in midtown.
If you're looking for more dining options around Richard Rodgers Theatre, our Broadway Theatre District food guide is a great read!
FAQs: Richard Rodgers Theatre, NYC
The Richard Rodgers Theatre opened in 1924 and, originally called the 46th Street Theatre, it was renamed in 1990 to honor the legendary composer Richard Rodgers, whose shows defined Broadway for more than three decades.
226 W 46th St, New York, NY 10036, United States
Richard Rodgers Theatre has a seating capacity of 1,319.