With more than a millennium of history dating back to Moorish times, the Alcazar of Seville has earned a claim to fame as the oldest royal residence in Europe still in use. Located in the heart of Seville, it is a UNESCO protected royal widely renowned as a beautiful example of Moorish architecture, especially for it’s outstanding examples of Mudéjar architecture. There's no leaving Seville without visiting the Alcazar, and since everyone thinks so, the queues to the Royal Alcazar of Seville are never ending.
But, don't you worry! We have a couple of last minute hacks under our sleeves that will help you skip the lines at Alcazar Seville. Read on to know how.
Understanding Your Alcazar Seville Ticket Options
Before looking at the different ways to skip the lines at Alcazar Seville, know the 6 different types of ticket option available:
- General Admission Tickets - These are the most basic tickets (€ 12.5) which give you access to the ground floor of the palace complex and gardens. You don't have the skip the line option or guided tour on these tickets basic tickets, but they can be purchased online in advance. Should you want, you can purchase on audio guide on-ground to compliment these tickets.
- Royal Apartments Tickets - These tickets give you access to the furnished royal palace upper floor which may be added to the general admission. They cost €17 and you are assigned a slot as per availablity on the date of your convinience. Online reservations in advance are highly advisable. Note, most morning guided tours give you access to the Royal Apartments.
- Skip The Line Tickets - These fast track tickets allow you to skip the lines and avoid the queues that could take up to 1-2 hours and waltz in by just flashing your mobile tickets. They are economical, hassle free and simply the best! You also have the option to pair this up with an audio guide, should you like to learn some interesting commentary of the surroundings during your visit. Book Now >>
- Skip the Line Tickets With Guided Tour- This one's the real deal, my personal favourite. You are entrusted with a historian guide who will usher you in, away from the crowds and give you an impeccable tour of the Alcazar. Nothing beats having a tour guide in a place immersed in such history. Honestly, no audio guide, book or even google can do justice to the lores and facts this local historian guide can give you. Book Now >>
- The Combo Deal : Alcazar + Cathedral - Seville has 2 prime attractions - the Alcazar and the Cathedral of Seville. If you're planning to visit them both, why not grab a combo ticket and save a few euros? Also, you can do away with the hassle of buying two seperate tickets and have them bundled into one! Makes sense? Yes! Book Now >>
- A Night Tour : For the night owls, here's a tour that you'll love. Exploring the city of Seville at night is a sight that words often fail to evoke. However, note that you will not be allowed entry into the Alcazar, but you will be able to see the General Archive of the Indies, the Alcazar palace complex, and the Seville Cathedral on this night tour. PS: You get to visit Casa de la Guitarra and enjoy a traditional flamenco show! If you're in Seville for just an evening, this experience is your best bet. Book Now >>
Most Popular Alcazar Seville Tickets
How To Buy Alcazar Seville Tickets?
Tickets for the Real Alcazar of Seville is easily available on their official website. While you do have to pay a €1 surcharge for the privilege of booking online, any euro that allows you to skip past the queues and head straight in, is a euro well spent in my books. Tickets on the website sell out months in advance, so make sure you grab them well before your day of visit.
Third Party Vendors
The best part about third party vendors like Headout is that you get to score a few discounts on your purchase as compared to the official website prices. Moreover, you have the option of buying combo deals, night tours and other deals that the website may not offer you.
The Guided Tours
To get the best of your Real Alcazar Seville experience, I would say go for a guided tour with no second thoughts! Having a local historian guide who relays the history, facts and lores of the Alcazar enhances your experience leaps and bounds. I know they are slightly costlier, but trust me, it is well worth your money. Moreover, these guided tours allow skip the line access and they are an absolute boon during peak hours/season
Here's everything you must know before taking an Alcazar Seville tour.
This is most definitely the easiest and cheapest way to get tickets as it involves no planning. You just have to turn up and stand in a queue to get your ticket. However, queues to buy tickets for the Alcazar Seville can be long, slow and very, very hot. Temperatures in Seville reach 40 degrees celsius during summers and by the time you get your tickets, you probably want to head home for a nap! However, if you do want to save the €1 fee charged on online bookings, this one's your best resort.
3 Ways To Skip The Lines at Alcazar Seville
Now that we've looked at our ticket options and how to buy them, let's look at the easiest ways to skip the lines at Alcazar Seville:
Grab your tickets online in advance
The Alcazar only allows 250 guests per hour. The easiest way to ensure guaranteed entry at a time and date of your convenience is to grab tickets in advance. This way you can avoid having to wait in line only to miss out on your slot at the ticket counter. Moreover, this could take up your whole day which could otherwise be spent exploring the rest of Seville.
Invest in Skip-The-Line Tickets
This one's a no-brainer. Grab Skip the line Alcazar Seville tickets online and avoid the hassle of standing at the ticket counters. You can simply display your e-ticket and head inside. Your priority access allows you to bypass the long waiting lines and directly skip to the security check.
Sign up for a Guided Tour
Buying tickets to an Alcazar Seville tour has two benefits: first, you will be accompanied by a professional guide who will regale you with interesting stories about the landmark; second, your guided tour also includes skip-the-line access, allowing you to bypass the waiting lines and head straight to security check.
Alcazar Seville Hours
October to March: From Monday to Sunday, 09:30 to 17:00
April to September: From Monday to Sunday, 09:30 to 19:00
Closed on the 1st and 6th of January, Good Friday and the 25th of December
Free Mondays 16:00 to 17:00 (October-March) and 18:00 to 19:00 (April-September)
Good To Know Before You Go
- If you're purchasing tickets on the official website, make sure you use a Mastercard and not a Visa Card. Many people have faced difficulties in their payment going through with a Visa Card. Headout does accept all cards, hence go ahead and purhcase from Headout if you have a Visa card. You'll face no issues.
- Admission is free on Monday during the final hour of the day. However, I'd recommend buying online tickets (€1) for this time too, as on busy days, i.e. almost all Mondays, visitors queuing without tickets may not gain admission. This is because on Mondays, the number of visitors allowed into the palace complex remains limited to keep the crowds in check. Spend the €1 and you'll have an assured entry on the free Monday.
- The Royal Apartments (Cuarto Real Alto) constitute the 15 rooms on the upper floor of the palace that required an additional ticket and is open for visit only until 13:30 daily. You can purchase the Royal Apartment tickets while booking your general admission tickets or make a reservation at the dedicated desk as soon as you enter the complex. Note, admission to the royal apartments is strictly by time slot reservations and the time printed on your tickets are for entering the Royal Apartments, not the Alcazar complex.
- The best times to visit the Real Alcazar Palace, like most top tourist sites in Europe is first thing in the morning (9:30 AM) or towards the end of the day. Avoid weekends and holidays as much as you can. The Alcazar is noted to be busiest from just before 11:00 to mid-afternoon, so avoid these times too.
- You have limited food options inside the complex. The cafeteria in the garden serves basic snacks and drinks and is the only café in the complex.
- Toilets are available off the Patio de la Monteria before entering the main Mudejar palace. It's close to the café, at the far end of the garden.
- Parking at the Real Alcazar can be tight. It's best that you leave your car in one of the parking lots in the city centre and walk from there.
Top Recommended Alcazar Seville Tickets
Frequently Asked Questions
What do I do if the tickets are sold out?
If the tickets you want are sold out, your best bet is buying a guided tour ticket. They are almost always available, especially last minute. The combo tours with the Alcazar and Cathedral visit are also available last minute.
Is the Alcazar Seville Guided Tour recommended?
Definitely! Nothing beats an expert guide taking you through the rooms and passages of Alcazar, narrating the stories and lores that the walls of the palace have sealed for centuries. No audio-guide or book can do justice to this experience, and who would you ask questions if you want to know something more about the Moorish clan? A guided tour is recommended all the way!
Can I visit only the Gardens of Alcazar?
Unfortunately, no. There is no ticket that covers only the gardens. You will have to purchase the General Ticket which includes both, the palaces and the gardens.
Can I visit only the Royal Apartments of Alcazar?
Unfortunately, no. There is no ticket that covers only the Royal apartments. You will have to purchase the General Ticket along with the Royal Apartments to gain entry.
What is the cancellation policy for Alcazar Seville Tickets?
Depending on the ticket, the cancellation policy varies. If you're looking for a flexible cancellation policy ticket, you can buy the Fast Track Guided Tour to Alcazar of Seville that allows you to cancel 24 hours in advance for a full refund or the Alcázar, Seville Cathedral and La Giralda Guided Tour which again allows for a full refund 24 hours in advance. If your plans are not concrete, you can opt for these tickets. Note, the cheaper tickets can have a stricter cancellation policy and the ones bought off the website cannot be cancelled.
Is there a way to see the Real Alcazar for free?
The Real Alcazar of Seville can be viewed for free on Mondays. Again, it’s best you pre-book your ticket for 1 Euro even for those free days so that you can skip the lines. If you are under 16 years of age, born in Seville or a citizen of Seville you can visit the Alcazar for free every day of the year. Note, only the general admission tickets are free and not guided tours.
What is the best time to visit the Real Alcazar of Seville?
As with most tourist attractions in Europe, it’s best to avoid visiting on weekends, especially during summers and holiday seasons. It's best to make it during a weekday in a shoulder season such as spring or autumn. It also helps if you pick a time slot which is very early in the morning or later in the afternoon.
Is there a baggage check at the entrance?
Yes. There are baggage checks, but they are not airport style. If you have a big backpack, you'll have to lock it away in a locker for EUR 1.
Ready to Explore Seville?
Check out the top things to do in Seville and plan your vacation like a pro!