With countries gradually opening up their borders for tourists, there has never been a better time to pack your bags and go on an adventure to unwind from the stress of the last two years. Although certain restrictions such as showing a vaccination certificate, social distancing are still in place across the world, these restrictions are likely to dwindle as well by the end of the year.
20 Best Places to Visit in January
This comprehensive list of best places to visit in January features familiar names as well as a few lesser-known but equally fascinating countries to visit in January.
Tips for your travel in January
- Although the pandemic is probably going to be less rampant by January, it is always a good idea to carry masks, sanitizers, and other COVID-19 personal protection regardless of where you are traveling to.
- South American countries in the southern hemisphere will experience peak summer during January and February. Hence, you should carry comfortable clothing and beach-wear that is suitable in this climate.
- Certain regions of countries such as Venezuela and Nigeria are not safe for tourists. If you are planning to visit these countries, stick to tourist guidelines and avoid politically unstable regions.
- Follow all COVID-19 testing norms and always carry your RT PCR report with you.
- Avoid eating in highly crowded touristy areas. Instead, look for local places that can possibly give you a more authentic experience.
- Make good use of hospitality websites and apps like Airbnb to meet locals and get a taste of the culture of the country you are touring.
- Your home country might require you to quarantine for 2 weeks after you are back from your tour. Ensure that you are aware of quarantine requirements before you plan your trip.
- Always remember to get travel insurance. You might feel it is an added strain on your budget, but it can prove to be quite valuable if you get robbed or hurt on your tour.
FAQs about traveling in January
Island nations like Cape Verde and Singapore are quite warm during January.
Pack sufficient COVID-19 safety equipment. You will need both loose-fitting clothing as well as warm clothes, especially if you are visiting landlocked nations where temperatures can swing from very hot during the day to cold at night.
Owing to the variety of festivals and the moderate weather conditions, Malaysia is arguably one of the best places to visit in January.
A safe country like Singapore or Monaco is the ideal family vacation destination.
Ethiopia and Kenya offer some of the best safari experiences. If your kid is more interested in amusement parks, Singapore or Malaysia might be a better option.
Cabo Verde, Antigua & Barbuda, and Grenada offer great beach experiences for couples.
If you are on a tight budget, consider going on a tour of Chile. It is easy to backpack through the region and the locals are very welcoming.
Brunei is an interesting and unique Asian country to visit in January. Singapore is a more generic tourist destination that is both safe and enjoyable for the family
Ethiopia is one of the best places to visit in Africa due to its varied landscapes and rich culture.
Fiji offers a unique and relaxing experience for tourists who wish to visit Oceania in January.
Although it can get quite cold in winter, Fairbanks in the state of Alaska offers an unmatched Aurora Borealis experience.
Torres del Paine in Chile and Los Roques Archipelago National Park, Venezuela are some of the best places to visit in January in South America.