The Lyric Theatre London opened on 17th December, 1888 with the hit comic opera, ‘Dorothy’. The theatre was designed by renowned architect, C.J Phipps for Henry J. Leslie, who financed the construction of this new theater from the profits he made from ‘Dorothy’. The Lyric Theatre, today, is one of four theatres on Shaftesbury Avenue, the others being the Apollo, Gielgud, and Queens.
An interesting fact about this theatre is that it still uses water to operate its iron curtains. Originally this water was sourced from the Thames River using hydraulically operated lifts, but now this is done using an electric pump.
Some of the most popular and well received productions to have graced the stage here include ‘Blood Brothers’, ‘Five Guys Named Moe’, ‘Cat on a Hot Tin Roof’, and ‘Cabaret’. Currently, Lyric Theatre London plays host to ‘Six The Musical a widely acclaimed play , known for its unique take on the 75 years of King Henry VIII’s infamous marriages.
Address: 29 Shaftesbury Ave, Soho, London W1D 7ES, UK
Seating Capacity: 887
Dress Circle: 148
Upper Circle: 178
Seating Chart: Check out the Lyric Theatre London Seating Plan here.
Coming Up Next
Get Up Stand Up! The Bob Marley Musical ( October 1, 2021 - February 24th, 2021)
Now Playing At The Lyric Theatre London
Six The Musical
This critically acclaimed play offers us a unique glimpse into the life of King Henry VIII and his infamous marriages. Icons like Beyonce, Avril Lavigne and Adele lend an air of stardom to the show, elevating your experience with their sassy, upbeat tunes.
The story follows the lives of King Henry VIII's six wives - Catherine, Anne, Jane, Anna, Katherine, and Catherine - who decide to take control of their lives and go on tour, as part of a girl band.
Wheelchair user access is located in the Dress Circle Boxes, which are at street level. Wheelchair spaces are in boxes C, D, and E and each box can accommodate 3 people.
Assistive Listening System: There is no assistive listening system in place at the venue.
Bar: There are bars located at each level of the theatre.
Cloakroom: There is a cloakroom at the theatre, where large bags and pushchairs can be checked in for £1.
Guide Dogs: Lyric Theatre allows guide dogs in the theatre. In case you deem the sound too loud, the theatre staff is happy to look after your guide dog. Please note that the theatre can dog sit only two dogs at a time.
Toilets: There are male and female toilets on each level of the theatre. The disabled toilets can be accessed from the Dress Circle.
- Make sure you book your tickets as soon as possible. The earlier you reserve your seats, higher the chances of you getting good seats at a decent price.
- Ensure that you come on time for your show. Most West End shows do not entertain latecomers and the few that do, expect you to be as quiet as a mouse as you try to find your seats. Better to save yourself and others the trouble and be there at least 10-15 minutes before the show.
- Snacks can be brought into the auditorium but please note that hot food will not be allowed inside.
- The theatre is air conditioned, so be sure to carry a light sweater in case it gets chilly.
Tube: The nearest tube stations to the theater are Piccadilly Circus (Bakerloo and Piccadilly Line) and Leicester Square (Northern and Piccadilly Lines).
For Shaftesbury Avenue: 12, 14, 19, 38.
For Regent Street take: 6, 15, 23, 88, 93, 139, 159, 453.
Rail: The nearest station is Charing Cross.
Restaurants near Lyric Theatre London
1. Jamie's Italian: Featuring recipes loved and used by Jamie Oliver, Jamie's Italian brings delicious traditional Italian dishes, which are perfect for a meal before or after the show.
2. Wok to Walk: Another healthy fast food outlet, this place offers great woks and chinese starters at amazing prices. Wok to Walk is one of London’s most highly rated eateries.
3. Gelupo: For all you people with a sweet tooth! Gelupo is famous for its mouth-watering gelatos, ice creams and sorbets. Perfect for a post-theatre snack.
4. Wasabi: A Japanese restaurant located at 33 Shaftesbury Avenue, Wasabi is well known for its sushis and super fast service.
5. Rainforest Cafe: A simple cafe serving up some American and European comfort food like burgers, steaks and sandwiches, this place is perfect for families and little kids.
Where is Lyric Theatre, London located?
What is the seating capacity of Lyric Theatre, London?
Does Lyric Theatre, London have accessible seating?
What are the facilities available at Lyric Theatre, London?
Has Lyric Theatre been granted the See it Safely mark by the Society of London Theatre?
Which is the nearest tube station to Lyric Theatre, London?
More West End Guides
For more West End information, here are some helpful quick links!