Broadway and Off-Broadway. Two sides of the same coin. Sure, Broadway shows have bigger budgets, bigger names performing, and thus an effectively bigger audience, but from a purely artistic point of view, the best Off-Broadway shows can rival and sometimes even one-up Broadway shows.
Whatever your reason to watch the show, there's something special about experiencing theater in New York City's off-Broadway scene!
Best Off Broadway Shows Guide
What is an Off Broadway Show?
Off Broadway shows are theatre productions that are not staged in one of the theatres located on Broadway in Midtown Manhattan, New York City. These productions may be staged in venues located in other boroughs of New York City, or in neighbouring states such as New Jersey or Connecticut. Off Broadway shows are typically smaller in scale than Broadway productions, and may feature less well-known actors or companies.
Off Broadway productions are often seen as more experimental or avant-garde than those presented on Broadway. They may also be less commercial in nature, and thus may have a harder time finding financial backing. Nevertheless, many Off-Broadway shows have gone on to find success both critically and commercially.
Best Off Broadway Shows to Watch This Season
Off Broadway shows manage to have equally impressive productions, when compared to their Broadway counterparts. Which is why we've curated the best off Broadway shows you should be watching while in New York:
How to Buy Off Broadway Show Tickets?
Some off broadway shows only run for a limited time, so it's important to buy your tickets as soon as possible. You don't want to miss out on seeing a great show!
With Headout, you can book your Off Broadway Show Tickets online from the comfort of your home, with better discounts! You can also buy tickets at the box office, but you'll need to get there early to stand in the queue to get the best seats.
4 Reasons to Watch an Off Broadway Show
- If you are looking for something different to watch, off Broadway shows are the best bet! Off-Broadway shows are often experimental, so you'll often find innovative productions at off Broadway venues.
- The actors and directors in Off-Broadway shows are also more likely to be new, featuring up-and-coming talent and young playwrights.
- If you're looking for an affordable night out, off Broadway shows can be cheaper than Broadway shows.
- Off Broadway theaters are smaller than Broadway theaters, which means that the shows tend to be more intimate and engaging.
Whatever your reason, off-Broadway shows are a great option for theatergoers in New York City!
Broadway Shows Vs. Off Broadway Shows
As mentioned earlier, Broadway shows are typically more expensive than off Broadway shows. However, Broadway shows are typically of a higher stature than off Broadway shows.
Off-Broadway shows are usually more intimate than Broadway shows, meaning that they often have a smaller venue and audience. This can result in a more personal experience for both the performers and the viewers. Additionally, off-Broadway productions are often experimental in nature, giving audiences a chance to see cutting-edge theater. However, because of their smaller scale, off-Broadway shows typically have a lower budget than Broadway shows.
Although not as popular as the Broadway shows, we would recommend you visit Off Broadway theatres and not miss out on the shows, as they often have some hidden gems.
How to Dress for an Off Broadway Show?
If you're looking to dress up for an off-Broadway show, there are a few things to keep in mind:
- For one, most off-Broadway theaters are smaller than traditional Broadway theaters, so it's important to avoid wearing anything too extravagant or flashy.
- You'll also want to dress comfortably; off-Broadway shows can be long and involve a lot of standing and sitting.
- A versatile outfit that you can easily adjust as needed is your best bet. For example, a dress or skirt paired with a blazer or sweater that you can take off if it gets too warm.
- Flats or comfortable shoes are also a must.
When you visit an off Broadway show, there are a few things you should keep in mind. Here are some tips to help make your experience more enjoyable:
- Arrive early - This will give you time to find your seats and get settled before the show starts.
- Dress comfortably - You'll be sitting for a while, so dress in clothing that is comfortable and won't restrict your movement.
- Be aware of your surroundings - Keep noise to a minimum and don't disturb others who are trying to enjoy the show.
- Don't bring food or drinks into the theater - This can be disruptive to the audience and performers.
- Make sure to enjoy the performance - Off Broadway shows can be spectacular, so be sure to savour the moments!
To discover other shows on Broadway, check out our guide on the Best Broadway shows in New York. Check out our exclusive deals & offers and get cheap Off-Broadway show tickets! The choice is all yours!
Frequently Asked Questions about Off Broadway Shows
Broadway shows are typically bigger productions that are staged in large theaters. Off Broadway shows are typically smaller productions that are staged in smaller theaters.
No, off Broadway shows generally have shorter runs, meaning they may close after a few weeks or months while Broadway productions can go on for years.
Ticket prices for off-Broadway shows vary depending on the production and the specific theater. Generally speaking, tickets for off-Broadway shows range from $25-$70.
Some theaters may offer student discounts or promotions for certain performances that can reduce ticket prices.
In most theatres there isn't an age limit for watching the shows; however, some require children under the age of 18 to be accompanied by an adult.
Off Broadway shows often have smaller casts and crew, which can lead to more intimate performances. Additionally, they tend to be less expensive than their Broadway counterparts, allowing you to save money while still enjoying a great show.
More Broadway Guides
Know more about Broadway New York - Where to get the Best Deals, How to Win Lottery Tickets, Best Broadway Shows that are currently running, Detailed Theatre Seating Charts and More!