London has an elaborate and thriving theatre scene. While most of the world has moved on to the screen medium, the largely orthodox London performance art arena has concentrated on the proper development of theatre through the West End. This initiative was met with an overwhelming response and thus came up the ‘The Half Price Ticket Booth’ in the 1980s. Over the next few decades, the booth changed its position a number of times within Leicester Square without losing even an ounce of its significance. Later on, this booth was rebranded as the TKTS booth to maintain consistency with its New York counterparts. Every bit of profit made by the TKTS Leicester Square booth goes to the Theatre Development Fund, to be used to promote this legendary art.
TKTS London Tickets - About & Availability
1. What is a TKTS Booth?
TKTS booth is the most authentic way to buy last-minute discounted tickets for London West End shows.
2. How is TKTS different from other ticket centres in West End?
Unlike many other ticket centres, TKTS is a member of the Society of Ticket Agents & Retailers. As such, the tickets you purchase are authentic. TKTS also aims to uplift the theatres and works towards driving more people to the stage by charging the lowest booking fee possible.
3. Where is the TKTS booth in London located?
London’s only TKTS booth is in Leicester Square, just overlooking the Leicester Square Kitchen.
4. What are the opening and closing hours?
The regular opening hours are Monday to Saturday from 10 AM to 7 PM, and Sunday from 11 AM to 4:30 PM. Special hours are applicable on December 24, 2018, from 10 AM to 3 PM, December 26, 2018, from 12 PM to 7 PM, and January 1, 2019, from 12 PM to 7 PM.
5. How does a customer contact the booth?
TKTS Leicester Square can be reached on phone at +44 20 7557 6700. You may also mail at email@example.com
6. Can TKTS tickets be purchased online?
No. TKTS offers its services only from their booth and you have to be there in person to purchase tickets.
7. Which show tickets are available at the TKTS booth?
Tickets for the same day and the next two days are available at the TKTS booth. Currently, the shows available are Austentatious Extends West End Run, The Comedy About A Bank Robbery, Disney’s The Lion King, The Wider Earth, Matilda The Musical, The Play That Goes Wrong, and School of Rock - The Musical. Refer to this link for any changes in the lineup.
8. Which days can a customer see a matinee show?
Matinee show tickets are available for the same day only.
9. Which days can a customer see an evening show?
Evening show tickets are available for the same day and the next day at the TKTS booth.
10. Can I purchase tickets for a show in advance?
Yes. Tickets can be purchased in advance subject to availability.
11. How many tickets can be purchased in one go?
There is no limit to the number of tickets that can be purchased by one person, subject to availability.
12. What is ‘Show of the Week’?
Every week, TKTS highlights one show from the West End lineup to demonstrate the variety of offerings at the TKTS booth. The show may also have a special discount or free gifts in order to encourage you to tread off the beaten path.
13. What does a customer need to do if they lose their tickets?
If you have lost the ticket, contact TKTS straight away either by mail or by visiting the booth at the earliest.
TKTS London Tickets - Pricing & Payment
14. Are the tickets offered at the booth discounted?
Yes. Tickets are available at both discounted and original rates.
15. Are Theatre Tokens accepted at the booth?
Yes. Theatre tokens are accepted at the TKTS booth. You can purchase theatre tokens as well.
16. Which vouchers are accepted at the booth?
17. Are there any further discounts offered to students/kids/senior citizens?
No. There is no age-based concession available at TKTS. However, the discounted rates at TKTS are quite competitive.
18. Is a booking fee applicable?
Yes. A booking fee is applicable. TKTS is a non-profit venture, and the booking fee is entirely utilized towards the cause of theatre.
19. Can TKTS tickets be exchanged or refunded?
No. TKTS tickets cannot be exchanged or refunded.
TKTS London - Miscellaneous Queries
20. Can customers decide the seat location?
Although you cannot pick your seat, the TKTS staff is highly trained and will describe the exact placement of your seat.
21. Are queues expected at the booth?
Given the popularity and the lucrative discounts offered by TKTS, you should expect queues at the booth.
22. How far ahead should customers arrive at the theatre?
Please reach the theatres at least 15-20 minutes before the show commences.
23. Are only London theatre tickets available at the booth?
Yes. Tickets for only the Society of London Theatre members are available at the TKTS booth.
24. Are any meal deals applicable on TKTS tickets?
Yes. There are meal deals available with some tickets at the TKTS booth. Simply ask the staff to know more.
25. How do customers redeem these meal deals?
All you have to do is carry your ticket to the restaurant or counter and show it before you enter. You must read all the terms when you buy the tickets as some restaurants may need you to make an advanced booking. You can, however, make an advanced booking regardless of the restaurant.
26. Are there any other ways to purchase London theatre tickets cheaply?
Yes. You can choose to buy tickets online in advance from the official website to secure discounts. You may also want to visit the theatre counter just before the show to scoop up standby and canceled tickets for a much lower rate. Also, you can look up this link to stay updated on deals and offers. Make sure you get your tickets from the Society of Ticket Agents & Retailers members only.
More West End Guides
For more West End information, here are some helpful quick links!