A sprawling structure overlooking the Seine River, the Louvre is one of the most iconic landmarks of Paris. Known for its extraordinary collection of artworks, it is also one of the most visited museums in the world. No trip to Paris is complete without visiting the world’s largest art museum and marveling at the awe-inspiring art exhibits it hosts. What best way to discover this treasure trove than by indulging in a Louvre guided tour?
What are the advantages of Louvre Guided Tours?
As you consider all the activities in the city and plan your days of exploring, choosing a guided tour of the Louvre Museum is essential to ensure that you do not miss out on the icons that have made it the most popular museum in the world.
One of the best features of guided tours is that you can choose one according to your own convenience. The museum opens to the public at 9 AM every day. Headout offers a variety of Louvre guided tours with different timings to suit your convenience. You also get to choose from different types of Louvre guided tours such as priority access tours, small group guided tours, skip-the-line tours, etc, allowing you to enjoy a largely personalized experience.
Make the Most of Your Trip
Just as it is one of the most popular museums of the world, it is also one of the largest. It roughly covers around 60,600 square meters and houses more than 35,000 artworks. The museum is divided into eight departments and displays sculptures and artefacts along with paintings. Navigating a museum of this size can be quite overwhelming, especially taking into consideration the large crowds on any given day. The best solution to this problem is opting for a Louvre guided tour where your professional guide will take care of everything.
Take Advantage of your Guide’s Expertise
Guided tours come with professional and experienced guides. They know everything, from the best route to take to the best ways to avoid the crowd. They also come with a wealth of interesting information regarding the attraction you are visiting, making your experience even more enjoyable. Therefore, if you are looking to make the most of your visit to the Louvre, your best bet is to choose a guided tour.
Enjoy a Hassle-free Experience
Other than making sure that your camera is charged, you have nothing else to worry about. From purchasing the tickets to navigating through the crowd, your guide will do all the hard work. They will also make sure that you get to see all the must-see works of art at Louvre. All you have to do is meet your guide at a pre-decided meeting point.
Enjoy an Immersive Experience
If you are looking for an immersive experience, you can choose to take part in a small group guided tour of the Louvre museum. As the name suggests, you will be part of a small group (usually ranging between 10-20), which ensures that you receive undivided attention from your guide. Your guide will answer all your questions, thus making your Louvre experience a fulfilling one.
The Best of Louvre Guided Tours
We have compiled a list of the best Louvre guided tours to get you started. Depending on your budget, the time you are willing to spend and other factors, you can pick one that meets all your criteria.
Louvre Museum: Skip the Line Tickets
- Beat the crowd with this skip-the-line ticket and enjoy one of the world's most visted museums.
- Marvel at world famous artworks like Da Vinci's Mona Lisa and Eugène Delacroix's Liberty Leading the People.
- Additionally, gain access to the Musée Eugène-Delacroix along with the temporary collections.
- Discover the Louvre Museum at leisure with tickets that are valid for the entire day.
Skip The Line Louvre Tickets with Audioguide
- Skip past the winding ticket queues and head right into the Louvre, one of the most visited museums in the world.
- Check out the most iconic collections of art, such as Da Vinci’s Mona Lisa, Eugene Delacroix’s Liberty Leading the People, and many more artistic jewels.
- After the mandatory security check, you can explore the museum at your own pace.
- The audio guide is available in 10 languages for your convenience.
Louvre Museum : Masterpieces & Royal Palace Guided Tour
- Make the most of your visit to the Louvre Museum with this ticket that allows you access to all its sections.
- Beat the crowd with the skip-the-line feature of this ticket.
- Explore the expansive courtyards of the Louvre Museum and allow your guide to answer all your questions.
- Enjoy the Royal Palace and the Napoleon Apartments that allows you a peek into the lives of French aristocracy.
Small Group Guided Tour of the Louvre Museum
- Discover the highlights of the Louvre Museum on a guided tour with no more than 15 people.
- The skip-the-line feature allows you to bypass the crowd and explore the museum to your heart's contend.
- Once the tour is over, you are free to roam the halls of Louvre until the closing hours of the museum.
- This small 15-member group tour makes it an immersive experience, allowing you to closely interract with your guide.
Louvre Guided Tours: What to Expect
Meet your guide
Meet your professional guide at the designated meeting point. Once your guide makes sure that your entire group has arrived, he or she will then lead you towards the entry line. If you have opted for a skip-the-line tour, your guide will lead you past the long ticket lines and towards the mandatory security check. After the security check, you are free to enter the museum.
Explore the museum
Your tour guide will guide you through the various galleries, all the while imparting relevant information regarding the same. You will be shown all the major exhibits such as The Mona Lisa, the statue of Venus of Milo and The Winged Victory of Samothrace and many other masterpieces. Your guide will make your visit to the museum even more interesting by offering insights into the history of these works and the stories behind them. After the tour, you are free to explore the museum on your own until the closing hours.
Are Louvre Guided Tours Worth It?
Short story - yes! Taking a guided tour of the Louvre with a historian guide allows an immersive experience of the museum. Understanding the history behind each work of art, having an expert to answer your questions and exploring the Louvre with like-minded people in your group heightens the beauty of your experience.
Having a guide also ensures you don't miss out on the best parts of the museum. Covering the Louvre in a day is practically impossible, but having a guide by your side ensures you're making the most of your day.
Louvre Guided Tour Essentials: Everything You Need to Know
Rue de Rivoli, 75001 Paris, France
Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday & Sunday: 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM
Friday: 9:00 AM to 10:00 PM
Closed on Tuesdays
Closed on January 1, May 1, December 25
How to Reach:
Palais-Royal–Musée du Louvre station on Line 1 is the closest metro station to the museum.
21, 24, 27, 39, 48, 68, 69, 72, 81, 95
There are three entrances at Louvre that can be used to enter the museum:
Pyramid Entrance: This is the main entrance to the Louvre. You can enter after the mandatory security check. However, it should be noted that you can only gain entry if you have a pre-purchased ticket.
Richelieu Passage Entrance: This is the closest entrance to the Headout ticket redemption center.
Carrousel du Louvre entrance: Head over to the Arc de Triomphe du Carrousel past the shopping center.
Visiting Louvre: Tips, Guidelines and More
- Try to visit the museum at 9AM, right after it opens, when the crowd is the thinnest. If you can not make it so early, wait till around 3PM. The Louvre is most crowded at 1PM, around lunchtime.
- One of the most popular museums in the world, the Louvre sees hundreds of visitors every day. One way to bypass the crowd is to purchase your tickets online. This will save you a lot of time.
- Out of the three entrances, the Passage Richelieu entrance is the least crowded. It also features an escalator that directly takes you to the entry hall.
- Those under the age of 18, 18-25-year-old residents of the EU, visitors with disabilities and the person accompanying them, and teachers of art & art history can avail free entrance to the museum.
- On the first Saturday of each month, the Louvre museum is open until 9:45 PM. Admission to the museum is free from 6PM onwards.
How do I skip the line at the Louvre Museum?
Websites such as Headout offer tours with skip-the-line feature, allowing you to bypass the crowd.
Do I need to book advance tickets for a Louvre guided tour?
Louvre is one of the most visited museums in the world. This means that Louvre tickets tend to be sold out quite often. Therefore, it is advisable to book your ticket online in advance.
Are there long lines at the Louvre Museum?
The line at the Louvre tends to be atleast 2 hours long on an average. Even on quieter days, visitors can expect a wait of atleast 40 minutes.
Are Louvre guided tour tickets refundable?
Headout offers Louvre guided tour tickets that are refundable.
Can I bring food inside the Louvre Museum?
While visitors are not allowed to carry food inside the museum itself, they can enjoy a meal at the hall near the pyramid.
Is photography allowed inside the Louvre Museum?
Yes, photography is allowed inside the Louvre. Therefore, make sure that you bring your camera!
Ready to explore Paris?
Here are the top recommended things to do in Paris. Don't forget to check out our Paris Travel Guide for itineraries, tips and hacks to explore the best of Paris, curation of the best hotels, restaurants and more.