Located at 214 West 43rd Street, the Lyric Theatre is the second biggest theatre on Broadway after the Gershwin Theatre. In 1997, the Lyric Theatre opened as the Ford Center for the Performing Arts. It stands on a location previously occupied by two neglected Broadway theatres, the original Lyric, and the Apollo. The new Lyric Theatre has many features that were part of the Apollo and original Lyric theatres, including the original Lyric’s stunning brick and terra-cotta exteriors, with its exquisite rows of windows and balconies. Also, the Apollo’s significant interior features were utilized in the theatre, including the lobby, which was renovated and is now used as a lounge. In its two decades of existence, the Lyric Theatre has hosted some truly spectacular productions, including Jesus Christ Superstar, 42nd Street, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Young Frankenstein, Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark, and Paramour.
In 2018 the Lyric Theater opened its doors to one of the most anticipated shows in the history of Broadway; Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. After a mega successful West End run, the original cast from London is coming to Broadway. Harry Potter and the Cursed Child follows the life of the Boy Who Lived nineteen years after the Battle of Hogwarts. With his kids now headed to Hogwarts, Harry has to balance being a father and his work in the Ministry, all while discovering that dark forces are on the rise again!
Excited about visiting Hogwarts again but this time via live theatre! Our Lyric Theater guide is here to help you find the best seats.
Address: The Lyric Theatre, 214 West 43rd Street, New York City, NY; United States
Seating Capacity: 1622
Dress Circle : 476
Balcony : 344
Check out the Lyric Theatre Seating Chart
Top Trending Shows on Broadway
Wheelchair access is available at our 42nd Street and 43rd Street entrances. It is recommended to use the 42nd Street entrance at 213 West 42nd Street for a more seamless experience. There are designated ADA locations in the Orchestra and Dress Circle levels, with elevator access available to both. There is no elevator access to the Balcony level.
Restroom: Wheelchair accessible restrooms are located in the Dress Circle lobby.
Concessions: There is a large lobby with a gift shop.
Assisted Listening Device: : The theatre is equipped with an infrared listening device system
- The dress circle overhangs the orchestra at Row Q and the balcony overhangs the dress circle at Row E. Book your tickets accordingly.
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is a two part play and tickets for both parts are sold individually. If for some reason you’re unable to watch both parts together, make it a point to book tickets for second part within the next day.
- The Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Merchandise Store is located at 213 West 42nd Street. The store will close to the public two hours before curtain and will reopen to ticket holders with the house one hour before the show.
- Taking flash photos and videos of the production is strictly prohibited.
- Travel to the theatre lighty because large bags will be required to be checked at coat check.
- No elevator goes up to the balcony level. If you or anyone you’re bringing along find it difficult to climb steps, please book your tickets for the orchestra or dress circle section.
- You’re not allowed to smoke in the theatre at any time and alcoholic beverages should be consumed in a responsible manner.
- The orchestra section at the Lyric Theatre is much deeper than other Broadway theatres, so the last few rows are further back from the stage than you might be used to. Get dress circle seats over the last few rows in the orchestra for a great experience.
The Lyric Theatre is located at 214 West 43rd Street. If you’re looking for ways to get there, we have got you. Since the theatre is located in such a prime, thriving New York City locality, there are transport options aplenty. .
Public Transport: There are many buses and metro trains you can take to reach the Lyric Theater. Buses plying to Theatre District are M104, M42, M6, M10, and M27/50. If travelling by subway is more your thing, you can take the 1, 9, C or E train to 50th Street or the N or R train to 49th Street.
Car: There are many paid parking spots close to the Lyric Theater Some of the popular ones include Bright Management, LAZ Parking, Impark and Edison ParkFest.
Restaurants near Lyric Theatre
1. Bubba Gump Shrimp Co: Visit this family-friendly chain for classic American fare and delectable seafood.2. Carmine's Italian Restaurant : This bustling restaurant is famous for its serving of Italian food that is served family style.
3. Dallas BBQ: A crowded local chain known for its massive servings of saucy meats, jumbo margaritas, and other classic fare.
4. Wolfgang's Steakhouse: Visit this upscale chophouse chain for a dry-aged steaks, seafood and their special collection of wine.
5. Playwright Celtic Pub: A pub straight from the dales of Ireland, the Playwright Celtic Pub is spread over 4-floors and roof. The Playwright is one of the best plays to catch a drink before/after your Broadhurst experience.
6. The Counter: Get your fix of custom vegetarian burgers and beer at this contemporary chain located at the heart of Broadway. Looking for more food options around Lyric Theatre? Our Theatre District food guide has everything you need and more!
Frequently Asked Questions About Lyric Theatre
The Lyric Theatre is a West End theatre in Shaftesbury Avenue in the City of Westminster. It was built for the producer Henry Leslie.
55 Ridgeway St, Belfast BT9 5FB, United Kingdom
The Lyric Theatre has a capacity of 1622 seats. Section capacities are 802 in Orchestra , 476 in Dress Circle and 344 in Balcony.