Perhaps one of the most awe-inspiring structures ever built, the Colosseum is located in the heart of Rome. Thousands of Romans flocked to the largest amphitheatre in the world to witness gladiators fighting against each other. Today, as you walk through those very same paths, you will find yourself transported back in time to the ancient Flavian era .
The best way to truly understand the significance of this ancient ruin and trace its history across various timelines is to opt for a guided tour of the Colosseum. Your expert guide will provide you with historical tidbits and fascinating stories, making your experience a memorable one.
What are the Advantages of Colosseum Guided Tours?
One of the most popular tourist destinations of the world, the Colosseum attracts thousands of people every year. However, visiting these ancient ruins can become quite daunting, especially on your first visit to Rome. From waiting in line for hours to finding your way around the world’s largest amphitheatre, it can be quite the nerve-wracking experience. An easy way to avoid this problem is to opt for a guided tour of the Colosseum. Your expert guide will take care of everything, from finding a convenient time to planning the trip in detail. Thus, Colosseum guided tours are, without a doubt, your best bet for an easy and hassle-free experience.
Gain direct entry
The Colosseum allows entry to only 3000 people at one time. Combine this with the security procedures and you are looking at atleast a few hours of waiting in line. To avoid this, you can purchase a Colosseum ticket with a skip-the-line feature that lets you bypass the crowd and gain direct entry into the Colosseum.
Save precious time
Another advantage of Colosseum guided tours is that there are separate gates reserved for such groups. The entry lines at these gates tend to be less crowded and therefore move much faster, allowing you to save precious time.
See everything there is to see
Certain areas of the Colosseum such as the Arena, the Underground and the Belvedere are not accessible to individual visitors. Therefore, if you are looking for an immersive tour, it is recommended that you book a Colosseum guided tour. These tours often include nearby attractions like the Roman Forum and the Palatine Hill as well, providing you with a complete experience.
Gain interesting insights
Perhaps one of the most recognizable icons of Rome, the Colosseum plays a significant role in the city’s history and heritage. If you wish to view the site the way it is meant to be viewed, with detailed explanations and insights into its construction and purpose, it is recommended that you invest in a Colosseum guided tour.
Benefit from expert guidance
Owing to its sheer size, a guided tour of the Colosseum will ensure that you do not miss out on any of the must-see attractions. Not to forget the fun facts and fascinating tidbits that only an expert guide can provide you with. Thus, opting for a Colosseum guided tour will considerably elevate the quality of your visit.
Enjoy a hassle-free experience
If you are looking for a hassle-free experience, your best bet is to opt for a Colosseum guided tour. All you will have to do is arrive at the designated meeting point. From booking a convenient time slot to planning out the trip, your expert guide will do all the hard work for you.
The Best of Colosseum Guided Tours
Since there are quite a few guided tours available in the market, it is important that you choose one that meets all your necessities. Headout offers a variety of Colosseum guided tours that are hassle-free and convenient.
If you opt for a Colosseum guided tour with skip-the-line feature, you can beat the crowd and gain direct entry, leaving you with more time to actually explore the attraction. If you are short on time, opting for a combo tour is the best way to make the most of your visit to Rome. Conveniently located in the heart of the city, there are many Roman attractions that can be combined with your Colosseum guided tour. Not to forget, combo tours are the best way to save both time and money. If you are on a strict budget, combining a few tourist attractions will ensure that you experience the best of Rome at an affordable price. Here are some guided tours as well as combo tours of the Colosseum that you can consider.
Skip-the-Line Colosseum Guided Tour with Access to Arena, Roman Forum & Palatine Hill
- Head straight for the Colosseum without wasting time in long queues with your skip-the-line Colosseum ticket.
- Admire the amphitheater from the arena floor and the Emperor's Box, stepping into the world of gladiators and ancient emperors for a few hours.
- As you make your way from the arena to the Roman Forum and the Palatine Hill, enjoy a rendition of historical insights and forgotten tales from your professional tour guide.
Semi-Private Colosseum Tour with Gladiator’s Entrance & Arena Floor
- Pass through the Gladiator’s entrance and rediscover the ancient world of Roman emperors and Gladiators.
- Enjoy special access to the Arena and the Colosseum’s backstage where gladiators prepared for battle.
- Make the most of your Colosseum tour by allowing your guide to regale you with interesting stories from years gone by.
Priority Access Guided Tour: Colosseum & Vatican Museums, Sistine Chapel
- Experience Rome’s top attractions with this comprehensive all-day tour with a local expert guide.
- Discover the stunning Vatican museums as you stroll through the halls and marvel at the Gallery of Tapestries and Geographical Maps.
- Learn more about the Vatican City as you head to the Sistine Chapel and admire the world-famous painted ceiling.
- Explore the Colosseum, Palatine Hill and the Roman Forum as you learn more about the history of Rome.
Borghese Gallery & Colosseum Half-Day Guided Tour with Roman Forum
- Witness the breathtaking collection at the Borghese Gallery that includes world-famous works like the statues of ‘Bernini and Canova’ and ‘David’.
- Spend a few minutes admiring the Borghese Gardens and the Arch of Constantine.
- Allow your guide to entertain you with fascinating stories from the history of Rome.
- Enjoy skip-the-line access to both the Colosseum and the Borghese Museum.
Priority Access to the Colosseum & Sightseeing Hop-On Hop-Off Bus Tour
- Enjoy priority access to the Colosseum, the Roman Forum and the Palatine Hill. Explore these archeological ruins and get a crash course in Roman history.
- Explore the city on your own terms with the 24-hour or 48-hour Hop-On Hop-Off bus tour.
- Hop on and off at your leisure as many times as you’d like for the entire duration of your ticket.
- The multilingual audio guide will provide you with more information on all the attractions you choose to visit.
What to Expect from Colosseum Guided Tours
No visit to Rome is complete without witnessing the mighty Colosseum. At the start of your Colosseum guided tour, your host will meet you at a pre-decided landmark. He or she will assist you to bypass the long queues (if you opt for a skip-the-line ticket) and gain entry through a special group's entrance to the Colosseum. Once inside the gigantic amphitheater, you will be guided through the different attractions depending on your choice of Colosseum guided tour. Some of these attractions include
Perhaps the most fascinating out of all the attractions at the Colosseum, the Arena is where the ancient gladiators fought, putting on a show for the ancient Romans. Massive in size, it will give you a 360-degree view of the largest amphitheatre in the world.
The Hypogeum consists of a vast network of underground tunnels that were traditionally used to hold animal cages. It also housed ancient elevators that were used to lift these animals on to the arena floor where they were made to fight.
Thousands of men and women sat in the massive stands or belvederes to witness the combat between gladiators. Divided into four floors, the belvedere offers a panoramic view of the Colosseum and is an essential part of any Colosseum guided tour.
The Roman Forum
Once the center of ancient Rome, the Roman Forum is now reduced to a set of historic ruins. Nevertheless, it’s sheer size and appearance does not fail to impress. Here, you will get to witness a number of popular sites such as the Temple of Antoninus Pius, the Temple of Saturn, the Arch of Septimius Severus and much more.
The Palatine Hill
One of the most coveted spots in ancient Rome, the Palatine hill was home to many emperors and aristocrats. It also offers one of the best views of the city. Here, you can explore historic sites such as the Stadium of Domitian and the House of Livia.
Colosseum Essentials: Everything You Need to Know
Located in the heart of Rome, the Colosseum is accessible through various means of transport. While grabbing a taxi might seem like the most convenient option, expect to shell out a considerable amount as cab fare. If you are looking for a pocket-friendly alternative, you can choose from the public transport options given below.
Line 75, 81, 673, 175, 204
Line B “Colosseo” The metro runs from 05:30 AM to 11:30 PM, Sunday to Thursday, and from 05:30 AM to 01:30 AM on Friday and Saturday.
After its reopening in February 2021, the Colosseum is open from Monday to Friday between 10:30 AM to 04:30 PM, with final admission at 03:30 PM.
The entrance to the Colosseum is on Piazza del Colosseo.
The only entrance to the Roman Forum is at Via Fori Imperiali.
The Palatine Hill can be accessed through Via S. Gregorio.
Visiting the Colosseum: Tips, Guidelines and More
- The Roman Forum and the Palatine Hill have several fountains with drinking water. If you don’t want the added expense of buying bottled water, all you have to do is bring an empty bottle along with you and fill it up at one of these fountains.
- Since Colosseum guided tours involve a lot of walking, you should wear comfortable shoes, preferably sneakers. Avoid heels as the pathway can become quite uneven. It is also a good idea to carry sunglasses and sunscreen, especially if you are visiting during the summer.
- Large bags and suitcases cannot be carried inside the historic site for security reasons. Neither is there a storage facility. Therefore, it is recommended that you leave your luggage at the hotel.
- All visitors and their belongings will be screened at the security checkpost outside the Colosseum. Even if you have a skip-the-line ticket, this screening is mandatory.
- The Colosseum is decorated and lit up at night, which is a sight not to be missed. If you opt for a night tour, you can witness its beauty under the moonlight.
- If you are planning to visit the Colosseum, it is always a good idea to plan your trip during the off-season. The weather will be pleasant and the crowd will be comparatively less, allowing you to make the most of your visit.
How long does a Colosseum guided tour take?
A Colosseum guided tour can take anywhere between two to four hours, depending on your tour package.
Are Colosseum guided tours refundable?
Headout offers various Colosseum guided tours that are fully refundable.
Does the Colosseum guided tour include the Arena and the Underground as well?
Depending on your tour package, you can visit the Arena, the Underground and the Belvedere, apart from the Palatine Hill and the Roman Forum.
Can I bring my bag into the Colosseum?
No, bags and backpacks are not allowed inside the Colosseum due to security reasons. You may be denied entry if you arrive with a bag.
Can I visit the Colosseum without a guided tour?
Yes, you can visit the Colosseum without a guided tour. However, certain areas like the Arena and the Underground are closed for individual visitors. You need to be a part of a group tour to access these restricted areas.
Can I bring water bottles into the Colosseum?
Glass bottles are not allowed inside the Colosseum. However, you can take plastic bottles inside. In fact, it is recommended that you bring along a bottle with you as it can get quite hot.
What time does the Colosseum open?
The Colosseum opens at 08.30 AM. However, its closing time varies according to the month.
Other top Experiences in Rome
While the Colosseum is a must-see in Italy, here are some other attractions that are now open to the public that cannot be missed! Check out more Rome attractions.