August Wilson | An Overview
Opened : 1925
Currently Playing : Mean Girls
Longest Running Show: Jersey Boys
Box Office Hours: Monday - Saturday: 10am - 8pm | Sunday: 12 pm-6 pm
Number of Seats: 1228 seats | Orchestra (743 seats), Mezzanine (485 seats)
Available Facilities: Coat check, Accessible entrance, Wheelchair accessible seats, Accessible bathrooms, Hearing assistance, Water fountain, Bar
A Brief History Of The August Wilson Theatre
Opened in 1925 as the Guild Theatre, the first performance at the theater was Caesar and Cleopatra, by George Bernard Shaw. After that August Wilson Theater served as a base for the WORD-Mutual Radio radio station in 1943, before becoming ANTA Theatre in 1950. The name stuck until it was purchased by Jujamcyn Theaters in 1981 and renamed the Virginia Theatre. It got its current name in honor of playwright August Wilson in 2005, a fortnight days after his death. Numerous popular shows have been seen treading its floors, including My Fair Lady and Smokey Joe's Cafe. Until recently, Jersey Boys had graced the theater for a very long time.
Best Seats in August Wilson Theatre
Value for money
Best views of the stage
Orchestra Center and Mezzanine Center first three rows.
Most expensive seats
Orchestra Center front seats
Interact with the August Wilson Theatre Seating Chart before buying your tickets.
Currently Playing At August Wilson Theatre
Cady Heron is a 16 year old, home-schooled girl who has spent most of her life growing up in Africa with her zoologist parents. Despite her life's adventures in the wilds, nothing quite prepares her for the vicious ways of the urban teenage world in her new estranged home in suburan Illinois. Know More
Broadway Shows Screened at August Wilson Theatre in the Past
Facilities Available at August Wilson Theatre
- Accessible Entrance
- Wheelchair Accessible Seats
- Unisex Accessible Bathrooms
- Water Fountain
- Coat Check
- Hearing Assistance
- Concession Stands
- Merchandise Booths
- The bathrooms for the theater are located on either side of the theater. Figure out which one are you sitting close to before the intermission.
- The bar sells products at an inflated rate. Get your eating and drinking done before you enter the theater.
- The mezzanine level has a few steps after every row, so be careful when booking tickets for that section if you have mobility restrictions.
- The first rows of the orchestra and mezzanine level or the corner seats offer extra legroom.
- Wear warm clothes as the theater tends to get chilly at times.
Getting To August Wilson Theatre
Due to its location close to the Central Park, August Wilson Theater is easily accessible from any part of New York with zero hassles. If you plan to take the subway there are plenty of choices that you can choose from depending on your starting point. You can either ride the C or E train to 50th Street and 8th Avenue, 1,9 to 50th Street and Broadway or take the N, R train to 49th Street and 7th Avenue. Cabs can take you directly to the theater from any part of New York.
Parking Near August Wilson Theatre
Hotels Near August Wilson
Restaurants Near August Wilson Theatre
- Chipotle Mexican Grill: Fast-food chain offering Mexican fare, including design-your-own burritos, tacos & bowls.
- John’s Pizzeria: Serving their trademark thin-crust pizzas since 1929, John’s Pizzeria in 260, West 44th Street, is a classic NYC eatery.
- Ippudo Westside: Japanese small plates, ramen & upmarket sake are dispatched in this simple but stylish outpost.
- The Lambs Club: A clubby, art-deco style restaurant in 132 West 44th Street, with cocktails and steaks to die for!
- City Kitchen: This takeout joint serves the city’s best ramen in a straightforward, no-fuss manner, focusing on the quality of the food instead.