The Legends of Rome: Walking Tour of the Velabrum
Set out on a journey through time that begins from about 3,000 years ago and continues on until the last century! Along with an expert guide, visit the places and stories that marked the creation of Rome.
- Travel back in time to see the very origins of Rome in the Velabrum Valley.
- See the iconic Bocca della Verità, (mouth of truth), which dates back to the 13th century.
- Explore the well-preserved ruins of Roman buildings and learn about their back stories from your friendly guide.
- Expert specialized guide
- Tips and gratuities
You can cancel these tickets up to 24 hours before the experience begins and get a full refund.
Rome is full of incredible mysteries, but to be able to see with your very eyes the exact spot where it was born is certainly something else. It is here, in Velabrum that we explore the amazing combination of beauty, history, and myth that lives in the shadow of the renowned Bocca della Verità. Follow your expert local guide and discover local traditions, as well as some sayings that are still used today; formulae for good luck that the daring can try to conjure to tempt fate. You also get to step into ancient churches, arches, and temples and let them reveal their treasured stories and timeless secrets.
The tour begins from Piazza Bocca della Verità, from the legendary mask, which was once a wellhead. Find out why it is feared to this day, and then walk on to see the great four-sided arch known as the Arch of Janus. Then, check out the 1,000-year-old church of San Giorgio in Velabro, next to which stands the richly decorated Arch of the Argentari.
Stroll along Via di San Giovanni Decollato and its church, until you arrive at Piazza della Consolazione, where the Tarpeian Rock towers. Continue on to the sacred area of S.Omobono (where you will learn about a particular vulgar saying!), before heading to the Church of San Nicola in Carcere, whose edifice stands imprisoned among the ruins of three different Roman temples. This is where the tour ends, and you'll find yourself right back at the starting point– the circle in Piazza Bocca della Verità, where you can see the Foro Olitorio and the Foro Boario, with whose temples are well preserved until today.
know before you go
know before you go
Make sure to wear comfortable shoes as there is plenty of walking involved in this tour.
- Piazza Bocca della Verità
- Arch of Janus
- Church of San Giorgio in Velabro
- Arch of the Argentari
- Tarpeian Rock
- Area of S. Omobono
- Church of San Nicola in Carcere
- Forum Holitorium
- Forum Boarium
Sat and Sun at 9am, 11am, 5pm, and 7pm.
- Your voucher will be emailed to you shortly.
- Display the voucher on your mobile phone with a valid photo ID at the meeting point.
- Please arrive 15 minutes before the scheduled time of your tour to avoid any delays.
- Meet your tour guide at Piazzale Ugo La Malfa - Monumento a Giuseppe Mazzini.
- Address: Piazzale Ugo La Malfa, 00153 Roma Città Metropolitana di Roma, Italy.
- The nearest bus stop is Circo Massimo/Roseto Comunale, which is 2 minutes away from the meeting point.
- Buses 81, 85, 628, C3, nMC, and more stop here.
This ticket is valid for the date and time selected during checkout.