Zoos & Aquarium in Melbourne
Popular Things to Do
Sort By: Our Recommendations
Browse By Themes
Tickets :Theme ParksZoos & AquariumParksLandmarksTours :Walking ToursGuided ToursTransportation :Airport TransfersPublic TransportCruises :Sightseeing CruisesDinner CruisesLunch CruisesFood & Drink :Food ToursDay Trips :Nature EscapesSightseeingEntertainment :OperaAdventure :SkydivingIndoor AdventureAerial Sightseeing :Hot Air BalloonWellness :SpaSpecials :CombosComing SoonStaycations :National Parks
Is it worth visiting zoos and aquariums in Melbourne?
Melbourne is home to a variety of fascinating zoos and aquariums. You'll find a variety of Australia’s unique animals here, such as kangaroo, koalas, marsupials wombats and wallabies, with sea creatures like cuttlefish, humpback whales, and penguins. If you have children or are traveling with them, a zoo and aquarium visit must go on top of your things to do in Melbourne since they offer amazing activities such as becoming a ranger, learning to tend to animals, and more.
Which are the best zoos in Melbourne?
The best out of the vast list of zoos in Melbourne are:
- Melbourne Zoo: Explore a wild variety of land and sea animals from Asia, Africa, and Australia’s bushlands and coasts. Meet playful elephants, get up close and personal with seals, visit African wild dogs, lions, Philippine crocodiles, Australian pelicans, little penguins, fish, seahorses, and more.
- Werribee Zoo: Encounter African habitats and go on a safari tour to meet Western Lowland Gorilla, African Lion, Hippopotamus, Serval, Cheetah, Vervet Monkey, Meerkat, and more. Become a ranger kid and train to be a wildlife adventurer in addition to making a visit to the animal kingdom.
- Healesville Sanctuary: Explore the Australian native exotic animals of the bushlands such as Koalas, Emu, Dingo Indian wolf, Lace Monitor, wallaby, Barn Owl, Kookaburra, and the small yet ferocious Tasmanian Devil!
- Moonlit Sanctuary Wildlife Conservation Park: Enjoy a variety of experiences such as animal encounters, animal feedings, night tours, and being a keeper for the day. You will meet Australian native animals such as wombats, koalas, dingo, pademelon, potoroo, lizards, turtles, water dragons, Tasmanian devil, and more.
- Ballarat Wildlife Park: Get involved in meeting their various animals from Southern Australia such as little penguins and Tasmanian devils. Also participate in their conservation program for Tasmanian Devils, Koalas, and SumatranTiger to learn about how we can save them from extinction.
Which is the best aquarium in Melbourne?
SEA LIFE Melbourne Aquarium is regarded as the best aquarium in Melbourne. The aquarium offers interactive sealife encounter, state-of-the-art displays, diver presentations, 12 incredible aquarium zones that houses thousands of sea animals, and first in the world to host a 2,200,000-litre oceanarium. As the cherry on top, it is awarded the Best Aquatic Life Attraction – Australia by LUXlife Magazine.
Which are the largest zoos and aquariums in Melbourne?
With an area of approximately 225 hectares (560 acres), Werribee Zoo is the largest zoo in Melbourne. The zoo transports and gives you a glimpse of Africa’s Savannah with slumber safari, African animal encounters, and more. The largest aquarium in Melbourne is SEA LIFE Melbourne Aquarium with 12 amazing zones, interactive diving experiences, and the 2,200,000-liter oceanarium. You can experience rare encounters such as Penguin Playground, Bay Of Rays,Touch & Feel Discovery Rockpools, Mermaid Garden, and more.
What animals can I see in zoos in Melbourne?
You will see some of the famous Australian native animals like Koalas, Emu, Dingo Indian wolf, Lace Monitor, Wallaby, Little penguins, Tasmanian devils, and Kangaroos in most zoos in Melbourne. Apart from the native animals of the land, you can also spot animals from across the globe such as African wild dogs, lions, elephants, crocodiles and a variety of beautiful birds.
What animals can I see in aquariums in Melbourne?
The most common sea animals that you will encounter at the aquariums in Melbourne are Jellyfishes, Fiddler rays, Sharks, Crocodiles, King, Gentoo, and Little Penguins, Clownfish, Blue Tang, Lionfish, and other coral species.
Do zoo and aquarium tickets in Melbourne offer skip-the-line access?
Yes, most zoos and aquariums in Melbourne offer skip-the-line tickets online that help you beat the long queues and head straight to encounter the various animals.
Which is the most popular zoo in Melbourne?
Melbourne Zoo is the best and the most popular zoo in Melbourne. The zoo is home to more than 300 species of animals such as kangaroos, wombats, koalas, elephants, lions and more. You also get to catch sight of the nocturnal animals at their night camp.
Can I take photos of animals at zoos and aquariums?
SEA LIFE Melbourne Aquarium allows photography inside without flash. Photography is not allowed in Melbourne Zoo, Werribee Zoo, and Healesville Sanctuary. Moonlit Sanctuary Wildlife Conservation Park allows visitors to use the photographs taken only for personal use.
Are night safaris available at zoos in Melbourne?
Yes. Moonlit Sanctuary Wildlife Conservation Park, Werribee Zoo, and Melbourne Zoo offer night tours or safari or camping experiences to experience and learn about the nocturnal Australian animals and their routines.
The world on your tap!Get the Headout app to get tickets on your phone and access app-only deals. Talk about win-win.