Small Group Tour of Vatican Museums, St. Peter’s Basilica and Sistine Chapel
This No Wait Access Vatican Tour gets you past long lines at the Vatican Museums, so you spend more time exploring the world’s most incredible art collection and less time waiting outside. Travelling in groups of 20 people or less, you will visit all the highlights of the Vatican Museums – from the Sistine Chapel to lesser-known gems of the collection, capping off the tour with a visit to St. Peter’s Basilica.
With commentary from your expert, English-speaking guide you’ll see the Pinecone Courtyard, the Hall of Maps, the Gallery of Tapestries, the Gallery of Candelabra and the incredible Raphael Rooms. Listen as your guide brings these works of art to life for you – pointing out things you never would have noticed on your own and teaching you about the characters behind these great works.
A definite highlight of this tour comes when you visit the Sistine Chapel. Guided tours are not permitted within the chapel, so your tour guide will have already filled you in on the details with the aid of photographs of the paintings. Take some time inside this world-famous room to pick out the details you heard about – Michelangelo’s boneless self-portrait for example, in which he expresses to the world that he would rather be skinned alive than paint the Sistine Chapel again. As incredible as his work is, it must have been back-breaking – a fact you’ll understand all the better after you learn what it takes to create a fresco.
After getting your fill of the Sistine Chapel, you will use your Skip the Line Access again, exiting by a special door which leads us straight into St. Peter’s Basilica and past another long line. See the incredible altar and marvel at Michelangelo’s beautiful sculpture, La Pietà, before heading outside to see St. Peter’s Square. Every morning but Wednesday the groups will have a guided tour inside St. Peter’s Basilica –on Wednesdays it’s highly likely that the Basilica will be closed to the public for the Papal audience. On afternoon tours the guide will deliver a commentary about St. Peter’s Basilica from St. Peter’s Square before groups enter the basilica to admire it in their own time. The tour finishes out in St. Peter’s Square where you can admire Bernini’s clever optical illusion, spot the balcony from which the Pope delivers his public addresses and snap photos of the imposing exterior of the basilica.
- Vatican Museums
- The Sistine Chapel
- Pinecone Courtyard
- Gallery of the Tapestries and the Candelabra
- Gallery of the Maps
- Raphael Rooms
- St. Peter's Basilica (when possible)
Know Before You Go
This tour occurs at 8 AM, 8:45 AM, 9 AM, 10 AM & 2:30 PM. Please note that the timings may change every season due to which not all timings will be available everyday. The duration of this tour is 3 hours.
At the bottom of the wide steps across the street from the entrance of the Vatican Museums. The steps are located between Caffè Vaticano and Hotel Alimandi Vaticano, on the corner of Viale Vaticano and Via Tunisi. Your tour guide will be wearing a blue City Wonders polo shirts or jackets for easy recognition. You are required to be at the meeting point at least 15 minutes prior to your tour.
If you face any difficulty in finding your meeting point, you can refer to this link.
The tour ends at St. Peter's Basilica
• On Wednesday mornings & afternoons St. Peter's Basilica may be closed to the public due to the Papal Audience taking place in Saint Peter’s Square. If you wish to visit St. Peter’s Basilica, please plan to travel on another day. The Basilica is also subject to last minute closures for religious ceremonies.
• This tour involves a fair amount of walking and stairs; comfortable shoes are recommended.
• Entrance into the Vatican requires a strict dress code. Knees and shoulders MUST be covered for both men and women.
• Non-flash photography is permitted throughout the tour, except in the Sistine Chapel where talking and photography are prohibited.
• Please note that our vendor will be unable to accommodate guests with wheelchairs or any impairments requiring special assistance. They will be unable to accommodate strollers or baby carriages as well.
Super Flexible Cancellation Policy
You may cancel up to 24 hours in advance for a full refund.
You will receive your mobile voucher via email instantly. No need to print!
Across the street from the entrance of the Vatican Museums, Viale Vaticano, Rome, 00165 RM, Italy, Roma
Other experiences similar to Small Group Tour of Vatican Museums, St. Peter’s Basilica and Sistine Chapel