Best of the MET Guided Tour
With over 2 million artworks from around the world spanning 5000 years housed in this institution, the Metropolitan Museum of Art (the MET) is the US' largest art museum. Our guided tour covers the best of what the MET has to offer in two hours, showing you sculptures, jewels, artifacts, paintings, and ends at the Met rooftop garden (only available if taking the tour between May-Oct) for breathtaking views of the Big Apple.
Why You Shouldn’t Miss This
Established in 1870, the MET Museum is the world's second-most visited museum. With over 2 million works in its permanent collection, spread over 17 departments, there is something for everyone. It not only houses art works, but also has costumes, musical instruments, weapons and armor from across the globe, making it a must-see for those visiting New York!
Given that the MET is so vast, those pressed for time can see the highlights of the museum with our expert guide through our meticulously curated tour. You can choose between a two-hour and a three-hour tour, the latter of which shows you additional works.
You will meet your expert guide at The Statue of the Pharaoh, in the the Main Lobby of the MET. Your group will be of 15 or less people in order to allow you to appreciate each work of art you encounter. Starting in the Ancient Egypt section, you will get a chance to observe perfectly preserved ancient Egyptian tomb models, and learn about the fascinating burial rituals of the time. You will also get to see the captivating Temple of Dendur, a whole Egyptian temple transplanted from Egypt right into the museum.
Moving on, you will get to see famous works like Claude Monet’s Water Lilies, a bronze of Rodin’s The Thinker, and selected works of Van Gogh, including his self-portrait. You will also get to see Henry VIII’s armor and the Antioch Chalice, which was once considered to be ‘the Holy Grail’. We’ll see more ancient works of Greek statuary and Roman frescoes before moving to the exotic, with a stop in Papua New Guinea. The Met houses a number of beautifully carved Bisj poles, collected by a Rockefeller – at the cost of his life.
Our tour ends with a bang, an ascent to the rooftop garden (May–Oct only, weather permitting), to enjoy one of our favorite views of New York City. You’ll gaze across the green of Central Park, framed by the city skyline. At the conclusion of the tour, you’re welcome to linger on the rooftop and enjoy a snack or drink from the garden café, happy in the knowledge that you’ve seen the best of the Met.
- Ancient Egyptian Tomb Models
- Temple of Dendur
- Egyptian Mummies
- Tiffany Windows
- Armor of King Henry VIII
- Antioch Chalice a.k.a. ‘The Holy Grail’
- Greek and Roman Statuary
- Ancient Roman Frescoes
- Bisj Poles from Papua New Guinea
- Auguste Rodin - Select Sculptures
- Claude Monet - Water Lilies
- Vincent van Gogh - Selected Works
- Rooftop Garden (May-October only, weather permitting)
Additional works you can see on the three-hour tour:
- Rembrandt van Rijn - Portraits
- Johannes Vermeer - Selected Paintings
- Jacques-Louis David's Death of Socrates
- Portrait of Madame X by John Singer Sargent
- Washington Crossing the Delaware by Emmanuele Leutze
- Pre-arranged Met Museum tickets, donation included
- Expert local tour guide
- Small groups of only 15 people or fewer
- Rooftop garden (*May through October only, weather permitting)
- Access to The Met Cloisters and The Met Breuer
Know Before You Go:
Please note that all museums are closed on Thanksgiving Day, December 25, and January 1.
This guided tour takes place on Tuesdays at 10:45 AM and Thursdays at 3 PM. You can select your preferred day and timing while booking the ticket.
The nearest subway station to the MET is the 86th St station on the Green Line.
Moderate cancellation policy
You may cancel up to 72 hours in advance for a full refund.
You will receive an email with your Best of the MET Guided Tour tickets in an email. No need to print. Skip the admissions line, and head in by showing your mobile voucher.
The Metropolitan Museum of Art, Main Lobby, at The Statue of the Pharoah, New York
- Children below the age of 12 may enter for free.
- Access to rooftop garden is only available through the months of May to October.
- Accessible entrances for the MET Museum are located at Fifth Avenue and 81st Street and through the parking garage at Fifth Avenue and 80th Street.
Other experiences similar to Best of the MET Guided Tour