Madrid’s Royal Palace and El Retiro Park Guided Tour
Get premium access to Madrid's exquisite Royal Palace and Gardens, including the throne room on this exclusive guided tour. Also explore the brilliant artwork by Goya and Velázquez and take a leisurely stroll of the lovely El Retiro Park.
- Explore the home of the Spanish monarchs, the Royal Palace and see the opulence of the Private Royal Apartments, Banquet Hall, and the famous Throne Room.
- Admire the ornate 19th-century design and flower arrangements as you explore the Royal Gardens.
- Take a leisurely stroll in Madrid's famous El Retiro Park, known for being the lungs of the city and explore the amazing monuments and structures hidden away here.
- Entry tickets to the Royal Palace.
- Professional bilingual tour guide.
- Walking tour of El Retiro Park.
- Food or beverages.
- Hotel transfers.
You can cancel these tickets up to 24 hours before the experience begins and get a full refund.
Explore Madrid's Royal Palace, Home to the Spanish Monarchs
The Royal Palace stands on what was formerly the Alcazar of Madrid, a medieval fortress that was converted into an opulent palace by John II, Charles V, and Philip II, who made the palace the official residence the Spanish Monarchy in 1561. You will be led into the main rooms, where you can see the intricate frescoes painted by acclaimed artists Giambattista Tiepolo and Antonio Rafael Mengs, which are the most impressive features here. As you move on to Charles III's private chambers, you can see the fixed furnishing on the entire main floor designed by Francesco Sabantini, a Sicilian architect favored by the king. Here, you can see the lavish Spanish mantelpieces, friezes and archways, solid mahogany window frames and doors, and, of course, the stucco ceilings and frescoes. Don't miss out on the Throne Room and Gasparini Room, which has the most exquisite French furnishings and bronze-and-glass chandeliers.
The Ornate Royal Gardens, or Campo del Moro
The historical Royal Gardens, or Campo del Moro Park, was converted into the 19th-century English garden it is today on the orders of Queen Maria Cristina. Set against the backdrop of the Royal Palace, these gardens have exquisite walkways and floral arrangements that are worth seeing. The vast green tapestry has a romantic garden and is home to two Neoclassical fountains - the Palace of the Shells fountain and the Fountain of the Tritons.
El Retiro Park, the Centre of Madrid's Greenery
Located at the heart of the city, this green oasis covers over 125 hectares and has about 15,000 trees here. El Retiro Park is home to several interesting monuments and gardens, including the Jardines del Arquitecto Herrero Palacios, Jardín de Vivaces, Jardines de Cecilio Rodríguez, and the Rosaleda Rose Garden, to name a few. One of the gardens here, the Parterre Francés, is home to a Mexican conifer that is supposedly Madrid's oldest tree and is nearly 400 years old! Some of the monuments you must check out includes the majestic Monument to Alfonso XII, which overlooks the lake, the statue of the Fallen Angel in the Rose Garden, and the Galápagos Fountain, built in honor of the princess at the time, Isabella II. If you happen to visit on weekends, you might be able to catch a live puppet show at the Teatro de Títeres, Europe's only theatre that stages puppet shows.
know before you go
Please be aware that we may experience some delays as some locations can be unavoidably busy and some lines could form at mandatory security checks and at entrances for the stairs and the elevator. This tour is typically scheduled to last for 4 hours, though wait times at security checks can sometimes increase the tour duration. We recommend allowing extra time before your next activity to ensure you make the most of your Madrid's Royal Palace and El Retiro Park experience.
Timings & Availability
This 4-hour guided tour of Madrid's Royal Palace and El Retiro Park starts at 9:00 AM and is available on all days of the week. Please reach 10 minutes before the scheduled start time at the conveniently located meeting point (more details to follow) to meet your guide.
Reduced Price Tickets
Child tickets (children below 12 years of age) are available at a reduced price of 32.00€. Please select the right profile type for your group during checkout. Also, ensure that you are carrying a valid ID of the members in your group if you select any reduced price tickets during checkout.
The guide speaks both English and Spanish.
The tour begins outside Opera Metro Station, in Plaza de Isabel II (Isabel II Square). Trains on the red and green lines will directly lead you to Opera Metro Station.
There is access for persons with mobility impairment. Wheelchairs are available.
You will receive an email with your Madrid's Royal Palace and El Retiro Park Guided Tour tickets shortly. You need not take a printout. Please download and display the tickets on your mobile device at the meeting point on the day of the tour.
Puerta de la Independencia of Parque del Retiro
- Meet your guide at Puerta de la Independencia del Retiro in the Plaza de la Independencia for the first part of the tour at 10:15am.
- Address: 28001 Madrid, Spain
- To locate the meeting point on Google Maps, simply search for - Puerta de la Independencia del Retiro.
Get Directions to the Meeting Point
- The nearest bus stop is Puerta De Alcalá.
- The stop is right in front of the redemption point.
- Buses #1, #9, #15, and more will get you there.
Plaza de Isabel II
- For the second half of your tour at 12:45pm, meet your guide Plaza de Isabel II, just at the exit of the Ópera metro station for the tour of the Royal Palace.
- Address: 28013 Madrid, Spain.
- To locate the meeting point on Google Maps, simply search for - Plaza de Isabel II.
Get Directions to the Meeting Point
- On Red Line 2, Cuatro Caminos and Las Rosas metro stations have trains traveling to Opera station every 4 minutes.
- On Green Line 5, Alameda de Osuna and Casa de Campo metro stations have trains traveling to Opera station every 6 minutes.
- The Ramal (Branch) or Línea R (Line R) shuttle train connects Opera with Principe Pio. This train is available every 6 minutes.
This ticket is valid for the date and time selected during checkout.