The Original Rome Capuchin Crypts and Catacombs Tour
Peel off the many layers of Rome as you go underground to discover the ancient city. This unique tour showcases how Rome developed through the ages and how many historic sites can be found below the foundations of the Eternal City.
- Visit three iconic landmarks all one the same day for an inside peek at Rome's history.
- You'll be accompanied by an expert historian guide, who will give insider tips and information.
- Travel from one attraction to the other on a comfortable, AC coach vehicle.
- Visit the eerie Christian Catacombs, the Capuchin ‘Bone Chapel’, and the Basilica of San Clemente.
- At the Catacombs, discover frescoes, iconography, and burial places decorated with skeletal remains.
- At the Basilica of San Clemente, admire forgotten 4th-century frescoes and a mysterious Oriental shrine.
- Gawk at the Capuchin Bone Crypt decorated with skeletal remains of over 4,000 friars.
The Sacred Christian Catacombs
On a private AC bus, you'll visit the extensive Christian Catacombs, dug out of the ground some 2000 years ago. Follow your historian guide through the network of sacred tunnels associated with the first Christians in ancient Rome. Descend into the labyrinthian corridors carved into the soft volcanic rock as you discover intriguing iconography, fascinating frescoes, and breathtaking burial grounds.
The church and underground levels of Basilica San Clemente
Exiting the catacombs, you'll take the bus back to the Basilica of San Clemente in the shadow of the Colosseum. The basilica houses glorious arabesque frescoes and inlaid marble floors. The church is built on top of a 4th-century basilica that is a great example of vernacular Italian.
The Capuchin Crypts
Head next to the Capuchin Museum: an attraction that houses Caravaggio’s painting of St. Francis and many artifacts from their history of creating altruistic projects around the world. Lined along the rear end of the museum are the unique Capuchin Crypts: the resting places of 4000 Capuchin Friars, whose bones were used in the European tradition of Momento Mori (decorative features to imbibe a sense of detachment from life!)
- Expert English-speaking guide
- Small tour group (20 guests or less)
- Entry into the Capuchin Crypt and Museum
- Entry into the Christian Catacombs
- Entry into the church and underground levels of Basilica San Clemente
- Transfers on AC coach bus
Know Before You Go
- San Nicola, which is the last site we visit, is subject to closure during special celebrations/festivities, including the Easter ceremonies. If this occurs during your visit, we will run an alternative itinerary including other sites. The Endpoint, in this case, may vary, however, it will always be centrally located.
Daily from 2:30 PM onwards
- This tour is available in English only.
- Stops on this itinerary include religious sites, and attire must be appropriate for the visit.
- Both men and women are asked to wear clothing that covers at least the shoulders and knees.
- Failure to do so will result in denied entry.
- Photography is not allowed in the sites visited on this tour, due to their religious nature.
Super Flexible Cancellation Policy
You may cancel up to 24 hours in advance for a full refund.
- Your voucher will be emailed to you shortly.
- Please display the voucher on your mobile phone with a valid photo ID to your guide.
- If you have purchased reduced price tickets, please carry your valid photo ID proof for verification. Students must show their valid Student IDs.
- Kindly ensure that you arrive 20 minutes before the start time of your tour to avoid any delays.
Please check your final voucher for the meeting point details and specific instructions.