The Original Rome Capuchin Crypts and Catacombs Tour
Peel off the many layers of Rome as you go underground to discover the ancient city. This unique tour showcases how Rome developed through the ages and how many historic sites can be found below the foundations of the Eternal City.
- Visit three iconic landmarks all one the same day for an inside peek at Rome's history.
- You'll be accompanied by an expert historian guide, who will give insider tips and information.
- Travel from one attraction to the other on a comfortable, AC coach vehicle.
- Visit the eerie Christian Catacombs, the Capuchin ‘Bone Chapel’, and the Basilica San Martino Ai Monti.
- At the Catacombs, discover frescoes, iconography, and burial places decorated with skeletal remains.
- At the Basilica San Martino Ai Monti, admire Gagliardi's frescoes and ancient Corinthian columns and aisles.
- Gawk at the Capuchin Bone Crypt decorated with skeletal remains of over 4,000 friars.
- Expert English-speaking guide
- Small tour group (20 guests or less)
- Entry into the Capuchin Crypt and Museum
- Entry into the Christian Catacombs
- Entrance ticket to the church and undergrounds of Basilica San Martino Ai Monti
- Transfers on AC coach bus
super flexible cancellation policy
Get a full refund on canceling this ticket up to 24 hours before the schedule.
The Sacred Christian Catacombs
On a private AC bus, you'll visit the extensive Christian Catacombs, dug out of the ground some 2000 years ago. Follow your historian guide through the network of sacred tunnels associated with the first Christians in ancient Rome. Descend into the labyrinthian corridors carved into the soft volcanic rock as you discover intriguing iconography, fascinating frescoes, and breathtaking burial grounds.
The Basilica San Martino Ai Monti
Already a place of worship in the 3rd century, this monument was officially turned into a church in the 4th century (to be later rebuilt in the 6th and 9th centuries). It wasn't until the 1650s when Filippo Gagliardi stepped in and completely transformed it. You'll find Gagliardi's frescoes lining the basilica, with remnants from the more distant past- including Corinthian columns that divided the nave and aisles!
The Capuchin Crypts
Head next to the Capuchin Museum: an attraction that houses Caravaggio’s painting of St. Francis and many artifacts from their history of creating altruistic projects around the world. Lined along the rear end of the museum are the unique Capuchin Crypts: the resting places of 4000 Capuchin Friars, whose bones were used in the European tradition of Momento Mori (decorative features to imbibe a sense of detachment from life!)
know before you go
- San Nicola, which is the last site we visit, is subject to closure during special celebrations/festivities, including the Easter ceremonies. If this occurs during your visit, we will run an alternative itinerary including other sites. The Endpoint, in this case, may vary, however, it will always be centrally located.
- Note: From August 6, 2021, onwards, all sites that we visit in Italy will require guests and guides alike to provide proof of vaccination or a negative COVID test (completed within 48 hours) prior to entry. They will also require a legal form of ID matching the vaccination or test results. You can read more about it on the Italian Government website. If you have any questions regarding your tour, please reach out to us prior to your schedule, and we can help answer any questions you may have.
Daily from 2:30 PM onwards
- 2:30 PM: Tour start time
- 2:50 PM: Arrive at Catacombs
- 3:45 PM: Leave Catacombs
- 4:10 PM: Bus drops off a group to go to San Martino Ai Monti.
- 4:20 PM: Arrive at San Martino Ai Monti.
- 4:50 PM: Leave San Martino Ai Monti.
- 5 PM: Back on Bus
- 5:30 PM: Arrive at Capuchin Crypts
- 6 PM: Finish tour"
- This tour is available in English only.
- Stops on this itinerary include religious sites, and attire must be appropriate for the visit.
- Both men and women are asked to wear clothing that covers at least the shoulders and knees.
- Failure to do so will result in denied entry.
- Photography is not allowed in the sites visited on this tour, due to their religious nature.
- Your voucher will be emailed to you shortly.
- Please display the voucher on your mobile phone with a valid photo ID to your guide.
- If you have purchased reduced price tickets, please carry your valid photo ID proof for verification. Students must show their valid Student IDs.
- Kindly ensure that you arrive 20 minutes before the start time of your tour to avoid any delays.
Please check your final voucher for the meeting point details and specific instructions.