Guided Tour of Domus Aurea with Virtual Reality Experience
Explore Emperor Nero's former pleasure palace with an expert guide by your side. Relive the glory of the Golden House through an immersive reality experience.
- Learn the secrets buried deep in the ancient site from an expert guide.
- Gain insight into one of history's most extravagant and controversial emperors.
- Get a glimpse of the site's days of glory through special lighting effects and illuminated reconstructive panels.
- See the frescoes and mosaics that served as inspiration for Italian greats like Michelangelo and Raphael.
- Look through the large opening to the south to admire the beautiful gardens of Colle Oppio pavilion.
- Entry to Domus Aurea
- Expert guide (English / Italian)
- Virtual Reality experience
These tickets can't be cancelled or rescheduled.
Get an idea of Emperor Nero's taste in extravagance with this guided tour of his Domus Aurea, or the Golden House, which was designed purely for pleasure. Once consisting of 300 rooms, the massive structure is estimated to have a total area 25 times that of the Colosseum. Allow your imagination to turn the excavation site into a glorious structure of gold, jewels, and ivory. Special lighting effects, illuminated reconstructive panels, and video mapping of the entrance gallery will help you along your quest. A complete Oculus immersive reality experience will reconstruct the Sala della Volta dorta just as it should have been in Nero's time.
Take a moment to marvel the rare intricate frescoes and vibrant mosaics that have withstood the test of time. When the site was unearthed, great Italian artists like Michelangelo and Raphael were lowered into it, where they admired and drew upon the existing frescoes for inspiration. Along with a look into Roman antiquity, the tour will also grant views of the surrounding lake, vineyards, and fields that have been relatively untouched by time since Nero's day.
know before you go
know before you go
- Please note that the site could be closed to the public on the recommendation of the Colosseum Archaeological Park, even on the day of the visit.
- The site is accessible only with a guided tour with reservations required. Admission to the site is limited.
- The use of the Oculus Rift device for prolonged periods is not recommended for children under the age of 13. It is also not recommended for people affected by epilepsy or serious eye diseases.
- The tour is wheelchair accessible.
- Wearing comfortable shoes and anoraks is recommended.
Fri to Sun: Time slots are available every 15 mins from 9:15am to 5pm.
- Your voucher will be emailed to you shortly.
- Display the voucher on your mobile phone with a valid photo ID at the meeting point.
- Please arrive at the meeting point 15 minutes before the scheduled time of your visit to avoid any delays.
- Meet your guide at Domus Aurea.
- Address: Via della Domus Aurea, 00184 Roma RM, Italy.
- The closest bus stop is Colosseo. It is a quick 5-minute walk to the meeting point.
- Board buses 51,75,85, and 87 to get you there.
- The closest metro station is Colosseo. It is a quick 5-minute walk to the meeting point.
- Board metros MEB and MEB1 to get you there.
This ticket is valid for the date and time selected during checkout.