Catacombs of Domitilla, Appian Way and Capuchin Crypts Tour
Visit the best catacombs in Rome, the Ancient Appian and the Aurelian Walls on this 3-hour tour walking which takes you through multiple time periods of Roman history. Learn about the city and its rich history from your expert guide who will be accompanying you throughout the tour.
- Enjoy a thrilling visit to the hidden gems of Rome.
- Enjoy a 3-hour walking tour and learn about the sites from a professional art history guide in a small group of 15 people.
- Stroll down the Ancient Appian Way which dates back to 312 BC.
- Visit the Catacombs of Domitilla and discover a painting of Jesus Christ which may forever change your opinion on the prophet’s physical appearance.
- Make a stop at the Capuchin's Church and see the skeletal crypts housed within.
- Benefit from hassle-free transport to and fro various points of attractions, as an air-conditioned coach will be arranged in the summer.
Visit the Capuchin's Church and the Catacombs of Domitilla, Take a Stroll on the Appian Way & Marvel at the Aurelian Walls
Your tour starts at the Piazza Barberini, from where your guide will lead you to the Santa Maria della Concezione dei Cappuccini, better known as the Capuchin's church, or simply the "Bones church". This famous church and crypt contains the skeletal remains of 3,700 bodies believed to be Capuchin friars buried by their order in between the years 1500 and 1870. Dimly lit by natural light, the crypt walls are elaborately decorated with the skeletal remains, making this crypt a macabre work of art that you must witness to believe.
The Domitilla Catacombs host a forbidden burial ground. As you pass through the narrow corridors and see the final resting place of thousands of early Christians, your guide will unveil some unheard secrets from these times. You can also see epitaphs, fourth-century frescoes of saints and discover a painting of Jesus that goes against his modern stereotypical representation.
You will also get to see the famous Aurelian Wall built by Emperor Aurelian to keep Rome same from the barbarian invasion of the 3rd century. The Appian Way is another famous attraction which has been mentioned in several epics from the past.
All transfers in between the tour will be done via a shared coach; prices are included in the ticket. Just sit back and take in the history of Rome on this mesmerizing tour which explores various time periods of the Eternal City.
- Tickets to Catacombs of Domitilla
- Tickets to the Capuchin's church
- Services of a professional driver and luxury vehicle for the tour
- Services of an expert art historian guide
- Food and Drinks
- Pickup and Drop-off
Know Before You Go
The tour happens on Sunday, Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday at 9:30 AM. The tour goes on for 3 hours. Please note: there are some black days each month due to the venues not being available for a tour.
This tour is available in English only.
The meeting point is located at in the center of Piazza Barberini, by the large Triton (Tritone) fountain. Your guide will be waiting for you there with a sign that reads, "The Roman Guy". We recommend that you reach the meeting point at least 15 minutes before the start time of your tour.
The easiest way to reach this spot is by metro, and the nearest stop is "Barberini", on line A of the Roman subway.
- The sites on this itinerary include holy places and as such require a decorum for attire. Men and women must cover their shoulders and knees. You may bring extra covering and put them on before the entrance to the holy areas.
- There will be plenty of walking on the tour so do make sure you wear comfortable walking footwear.
- Please do not carry any big bags on the tour.
This tour is not advised for an individual with any movement difficulties as there is plenty of walking on the tour. Wheelchairs and strollers will not be allowed on the tour.
Photography and cameras are not allowed in some of the sites visited on the tour. Please respect the photography policy of all the venues you visit as part of the tour.
Moderate Cancellation Policy
You may cancel up to 72 hours in advance for a full refund.
Worked well as pridicted
I had my doubts whether they had the chepaest tickets or not, but they actualy do! bEst price across the internet for all experiences.
Having been to Rome three times already, this was a special and new experience for me and my family. Loved every bit
You will receive an email with your Catacombs of Domitilla, Appian Way, and Capuchin Crypts Tour vouchers shortly. Please display your vouchers on your mobile device along with a valid photo ID at the meeting point of your tour.
Piazza Barberini, In Front of The Fontana del Tritone, Roma