St Mark's Basilica Priority Access Guided Tour
Skip the line and head into the most visited site in Venice, St Mark's Basilica renowned for its Byzantine art and rich biblical importance. Also, get a free optional coupon for a trip to and fro the Island of Murano with this ticket!
- Jump the average 45-minute long queue outside St Mark's Basilica saving your time and energy.
- Walk the length of this Basilica with a dedicated tour guide narrating interesting legends and detailing its the rich history.
- View masterpieces of Byzantine art during your tour.
- Gain seamless access to the Treasury and Pala d’Oro
- Visit the Island of Murano renowned for its long tradition of glass-making and enjoy the complimentary glassblowing tour while you're here.
About St Mark's Basilica
A structure of Byzantine domes decked in gold ground mosaics and intricate designs, the St Mark's Basilica is a sight behold. It was built in the 9th century to bury the corpse of St Mark which was smuggled by Venetian merchants from Egypt. The original structure was burned down in 932 after which it was rebuilt to the resplendent structure is it today. Its new construction was a cosmopolitan version layered in white marbles from Middle Eastern countries, a Greek cross layout, rippled stonework arches and elements from Byzantine architecture. Due to the abundance of gold used in its architecture, it has earned the nickname Chiesa d'Oro (Church of gold) quite rightly.
Amongst this grandeur, the oldest mosaic on the facade dates back to 1270 and is showcased in the part of the mosaic story depicting St Mark's stolen body arriving at the Basilica. Another star attraction here is the gold altarpiece namely Pala d’Oro golden altar encrusted with over 2000 precious stones like emeralds, amethysts, sapphires, rubies, pearls and many others.
St Mark’s Basilica is one of the most visited sites in Venice and our guided tour of this majestic cathedral will be nothing short of exhilarating. Indulge in the seamless synthesis of Venetian art with unique Byzantine and Romanesque elements in the form of gleaming golden mosaics, marble inlays and precious pearls and stones.
With this ticket, you get seamless access to 2 otherwise restricted parts of the Basilica - The Pala d’Oro golden altar and The Treasury. While visually soaking in the opulence, seat yourself comfortably and hear our guide narrate interesting legends one after the other about the masterpieces surrounding you.
After the Basilica visit, you are given a coupon to visit the Island of Murano famous for its glassblowing factories. Discover Italy's famous Murano glass tradition by watching the local masters and craftsmen mould magic with their skilled hands.
Please note, the trip to and fro Murano Islands is a free of charge optional inclusion on a private boat (generally scheduled from 2 PM to 4 PM). This optional visit may take longer than the scheduled time and is not recommended for those who have other reservations on the same day.
- Skip the Line entrance to the Basilica
- Guided tour with commentary
- Optional coupon for a trip to Murano Island and back
- Guided tour in the Island of Murano
Know Before You Go
Tour departs at 12 noon from Monday to Saturday (Not available on Sunday)
Guided Commentary Languages
English - Monday - Saturday
German - Monday and Friday
French - Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday
Spanish - Wednesday and Saturday
Please note, your visit could be bilingual
Arriving by Public Vaporetto
If you are taking line #1 and get off at “San Marco Vallaresso”. If you are taking line #2 and get off at “San Marco Giardinetti”. After you alight, walk to Saint Mark’s Square. Once here, look for the Bell Tower and cross the adjacent Basilica. You will find our assistant waiting for you with a signboard reading TOUR under the Clock Tower.
Arriving by Private Watertaxi
Ask the driver to take you to the “Todaro” landing stage. Once you alight, walk to Saint Mark’s Square. Once here, look for the Bell Tower and cross the adjacent Basilica. You will find our assistant waiting for you with a signboard reading TOUR under the Clock Tower.
Moderate cancellation policy
You may cancel up to 3 days in advance for a full refund
During the high season a lot of tourists arrive in Venice to admire its beauty. HEven teh entrance was over crowded.
This tour allowed us to skip the longish line getting into St. Marks as it opened. Saved so much time
This website is very easy to use and with all details specifically mentioned it becomes all the more easy to know navigate around once you pruchase tickets. totally hassle free
How to Use Your Tickets
You will receive your mobile voucher via email. There is no need to print the ticket. Once you reach St Mark's Square look for the Clock Tower near YEX exchange office ( white building with blue clock facade). You will find our assistant here with a signboard reading "TOUR". Please join him/her and proceed for the tour.
St. Mark’s Square, Piazza San Marco, Venezia
- Audio-guide devices are included in case of groups over 10 people
- The Basilica being a house of worship, appropriate clothing is recommended (shorts and tank tops will not be allowed)
- For security reasons sacks, bags or knapsacks are not allowed inside the Basilica
- This tour will not be operational in case of exceptionally high tide or in case of religious functions (in both these cases the visit can be postponed or a refund will be provided)
- This is not a private tour and is to be shared with other guests not belonging to the same party
- This tour is not fully accessible for wheelchair users or people with walking disabilities
- Comfortable walking shoes suggested
- If there is a high turnout or for reasons of force majeure (high tide or security problems) the waiting time to access St. Mark’s Basilica may be slightly longer than expected.In such cases, please do line up and respect the instructions provided by the guide
Other experiences similar to St Mark's Basilica Priority Access Guided Tour