St. Peter's Basilica Dome Tickets – Guided Tour, Dome Climb & Papal Tombs
Climb to the very top of Michelangelo’s St. Peter’s Basilica dome, one of the most magnificent domes in the city of Rome, and bask in the unparalleled view of the rolling green Castelli Romani hills, the Tyrrhenian Sea, and the opulent Vatican! Discover the Papal Tombs and artistic wonders housed in the Basilica.
- Visit the attractions of the Vatican early in the morning for a quiet and intimate experience, before the crowds are granted entry.
- Get breathtaking views of Rome and splendid sights of the hills all around from your unique vantage point at the crest of the St. Peter’s Basilica, the highest point in Rome.
- You will be accompanied by an expert local guide who will describe the various interesting aspects of the Papal Tombs and Michelangelo’s dome.
- Explore the St. Peter’s Basilica’s charming interiors and the Papal Sarcophagi after your visit to the top of the dome.
- This is one of the only tours that will take you to the top of the dome and to visit the Papal tombs.
- Admission to the St. Peter’s Basilica
- Dome climb and visit to the Papal Sarcophagi
- Expert local guide (English, Spanish, French, or Italian-speaking)
- Pick-up and drop-off services
- Food and drinks
- Visit to the Necropolis / St. Peter’s Tomb / Scavi
super-flexible cancellation policy
You may cancel up to 24 hours before the day of the tour for a full refund.
Ascend to the Top of the St. Peter’s Basilica
Avoid the crowds and get an intimate glimpse of the treasures of the Vatican on this early-morning guided tour. The tour begins with an exciting climb that involves both a staircase and an elevator to the highest point of Rome’s iconic St. Peter’s Basilica. The view from here is simply breathtaking. The city of Rome, a striking and glorious confluence of the ancient and the modern, stretches past the wetlands and forests of the Riserva Naturale, and all the way to the Tyrrhenian Sea in the south-west. You will see the Vatican and some of Rome’s most famous landmarks bordered by the Castelli Romani hills. Your guide will point out all the attractions and tell you more about these fascinating places in Rome.
Explore St. Peter’s Basilica and the Holy Papal Tombs
Walk back down to terra firma and enter the Basilica after a short break near the entrance. An artistic and architectural marvel designed by geniuses of the Renaissance like Donato Barmante, Lorenzo Bernini, and Michelangelo, St. Peter’s Basilica has become one of the world’s most ostentatious symbols of Christianity. Your guide will tell you all about the beliefs that surround the real location of the tombs of St. Peter and the first Bishop of Rome. Admire some of the artistic masterpieces of Bernini and Michelangelo before heading to see the Papal Sarcophagi of the Basilica.
know before you go
This ticket has the following options you can choose from:
- English Guided Tour
- Spanish Guided Tour
- French Guided Tour
- Italian Guided Tour
- This tour is not wheelchair-friendly.
- On days close to religious holidays at the Vatican, parts of the tour such as the Papal Tombs may not be open. In this case, the tour of the Basilica itself will be extended.
- Please note that this tour includes a climb of a substantial number of steps and requires a decent level of physical fitness to undertake.
Availability & Timings
The tour operates from Monday to Saturday at 8 AM and lasts for 2 hours.
English and Spanish
Please be dressed appropriately. Sleeveless blouses, miniskirts, shorts, and hats are not permitted. Knees and shoulders MUST be covered for both men and women. Comfortable shoes are recommended.
How to Redeem Your Tickets
You will receive an email confirmation along with your mobile voucher shortly. You can show your mobile and printed voucher along with some valid photo ID before the tour commences.
Your tour will begin at: Via di Porta Angelica, 00193 Rome. Your guide will be holding a sign that reads "When in Rome".
Take buses 23, 982, or N11 to Risorgimento/Porta Angelica. The Basilica is a short 4-minute walk from here.
Take tram 19 and get off at the Risorgimento - San Pietro. The St. Peter’s Basilica is a short 5-minute walk from this station.
This tour is valid for the date selected at the time of booking.