Roman Basilicas and Underground Catacombs on the Appian way
Explore the ancient side of Rome on this visit that guides you through various Basilicas, ancient streets and, finally, the Roman Catacombs, the former hiding places and now resting places of Early Christians from that era.
- Explore Rome’s famous basilicas, churches and catacombs with this whirlwind tour with an expert guide by your side.
- Soak in the beauty of the Basilica of St. John Lateran, the oldest church in the West.
- Make your way up the Holy Staircase that many believe Jesus walked on.
- Discover the underground chambers and mazes of the Catacombs to get insights into the history of the great city.
- Entrance Tickets to Catacombs
- Professional tour guide
- Round-trip transfers
- Drop Off to hotel
You can cancel these tickets up to 48 hours before the experience begins and get a full refund.
Explore Rome’s Famous Basilicas, Churches and Catacombs on this Immersive Tour
Travel through Rome and visit its beautiful basilicas and the underground catacombs on this thrilling tour. An expert guide will first lead you to the Holy Staircase, a long line of 28 marble steps that are said to be the ones that Christ walked on while he was on his way to meet Pontius Pilate before his crucifixion. Next, visit the Basilica of St. John Lateran - the beautiful structure that's topped by exquisite sculptures. Inside, you can witness the colorful interiors of the oldest church in the West.
The St. Mary Major Church is also part of the itinerary before going over to the Appian Way, an ancient road from the Roman Empire. At the end of the tour, you will be guided through the underground Catacombs. Make your way through the underground maze, that was the burial spot in the early days and catch glimpses of rough paintings and sketches made by the early believers of Christ. After your tour, you will be dropped off in front of the church of Santa Maria degli Angeli e dei Martiri nearby Metro Stop "Repubblica".
know before you go
know before you go
The tour runs every Monday, Tuesday, Friday, and Saturday, aside from religious holidays, with pickups beginning at 2 PM from centrally located hotels and the tour ending at or near your hotel approximately three hours later.
English | Spanish | French | German
Please note that no sleeveless shirts, shorts or mini-skirts are permitted inside any of the churches.
- Your voucher will be emailed to you shortly
- Please display your mobile voucher along with a valid photo ID to your guide
- Kindly ensure that you arrive 10-15 minutes before the start time of your tour to avoid any delays
- Meet your tour guide at Via Carlo Alberto in front of Hotel Mecenate Palace, Via Carlo Alberto, 3, 00185 Roma RM, Italy
- To locate the meeting point on Google Maps, simply search for - Hotel Mecenate Palace
Get Directions to the Meeting Point
- The closest bus stop to the meeting point is 'Carlo Alberto,' which is located directly opposite the Hotel Mecenate Palace
- Catch bus #71, 360, 590 or 649 to get here