Moorish Castle: Skip the Line
Explore the fortified stone walls and towers of the Moorish Castle nestled on a hilltop. Learn of its origin and soak in glorious views from along the paths encircling the castle.
- Visit the Castle of the Moors and uncover treasures from a bygone era
- Save time by skipping the lines and get straight to exploring this ancient fortification
- Marvel at the Moorish ruins, with artifacts from the Bronze Age, Iron Age, and the Neolithic period
- Rewind centuries back in time and learn about the history and conquests of the Castle
- Admire the unique landscape in the foreground featuring Sintra, the hills, the Atlantic Ocean, and more
- Skip the line entry to Moorish Castle
- Hotel transfers
super flexible cancellation policy
Get a full refund on canceling this ticket up to 24 hours before schedule.
In the days of yore when large swathes of Portugal were occupied by the Moors, a fortress was built to serve the purpose of a watchtower and an observation post. Over time, its allegiance changed from the Moors to the Vikings to the Moors before finally perishing at the hands of Christian rule. As Sintra's strategic importance dwindled, the castle was eventually abandoned. However, mid-19th-century saw a restoration project influenced by the Romantic tastes of the era and undertaken by Ferdinand II.
The views from the walls of the castle are truly spectacular. To the south, you can see beyond the river Tejo to Arrabida, and to the west, Cabo da Roca, and the north, Peniche. From up here, you can also admire the Pena Palace and the hills of Sintra, covered in green and dotted with beautiful homesteads and romantic chalets. Archeological excavations continue to this day, and so far it has led to the discovery of a Christian graveyard and many artifacts that are now on display in the castle. Today, the remarkable Morish Castle is a National Monument, listed as a UNESCO World Heritage site and open to visitors from all walks of life.
know before you go
COVID-19 Prevention Rules
Please follow these guidelines to help ensure the safety of all visitors:
- Face masks are mandatory (indoors & outdoors)
- Visitors must follow distancing guidelines as indicated on signposts
- No audio guides available
- Only 2/3 of the total capacity allowed at any time within opening hours
- All areas will be cleaned and disinfected more often
10:00 AM – 6:00 PM. Last admission at 5:00 PM
- Parking space for people with disabilities
- Manual wheelchair chassis are available on reservation
- Shop and cafeteria
- Comfortable shoes are a must! You will find lots of stairs and steep steps inside, as you head to the top. You need to be a little bit fit to conquer this castle!
- Stay Hydrated: Take water with you because you can get thirsty after the many steps. During the summers, it can get very sunny
- Your ticket will be emailed to you shortly after the purchase
- Please display the same along with a valid photo ID at the time of redemption
- Kindly ensure that you arrive 10-15 minutes before the scheduled time to avoid any delays
Ticket Redemption Point
- Display your ticket at the attraction itself - Castle of the Moors.
- Address: 2710-405 Sintra, Portugal.
If driving to Sintra, take the IC19 (from Lisbon), IC30 (from Mafra), or EN9 (turning off the A5 motorway to Cascais). When you arrive in the town’s historic center, you’ll see a vertical sign showing the way to the Moorish Castle (3.5 km)
By train (CP), take the Sintra Line
Departure stations: Estação do Oriente, Estação do Rossio, Estação de Entrecampos
These tickets are valid 365 days from the date of purchase.