Medieval Villages and La Garrotxa Volcanic Zone Hiking Tour
Explore three medieval villages: Besalú, Castellfollit de la Roca, and Sant Joan les Fonts, and hike around La Garrotxa Volcanic Zone Natural Park on this fun day trip from Barcelona!
- Travel to three medieval villages on this small-group tour with a maximum of 8 people.
- Go hiking through La Garrotxa Volcanic Zone Natural Park.
- Visit Castellfollit de la Roca, a town that stands on a basalt cliff overlooking two rivers.
- Explore Sant Joan les Fonts, see its Romanesque church and medieval bridge.
- At Besalú, break for lunch (own expense) and enjoy a tour of the village’s highlights.
- Choose to have your tour conducted in English or Spanish.
- Guided hike
- Medieval towns guided visit
- Expert English or Spanish-speaking guide
- Bottled water
- Hiking poles
- Personal insurance
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
flexible cancellation policy
Get a full refund on canceling this ticket up to 48 hours before the schedule.
From Barcelona, head out on a 1.5-hour trip in a comfortable minivan to La Garrotxa, best known for its medieval town and its volcanic landscapes. Begin your tour with a soft hike to Castellfollit de la Roca, one of the smallest yet most picturesque towns in Catalonia. It dates back to the Middle Ages and stands perched atop a basalt cliff ledge between two rivers.
Continue onwards to Sant Joan les Fonts. Visit the Romanesque church, which has been declared a monument of national interest. See the 12th-century medieval bridge that has been constructed with volcanic stone. Hike along the paths that follow three lava flows said to have shaped the landscapes of this region. Feel yourself getting into a zen-like mood as you learn about the rural lifestyle of La Garrotxa.
Head to Besalú, home to a maze of narrow, cobbled alleys and beautifully kept buildings. This is one of the best-preserved medieval villages in Catalonia, and it is here that you will have some free time to break for lunch. Note: You can ask to book a local restaurant prior to your visit. Before you end your tour, follow your guide through Besalú and discover the most unique spots of this beautiful medieval town; this is an authentic trip back in time!
know before you go
This ticket has the following options you can choose from:
- English-Guided Tour
- Spanish-Guided Tour
Tue, Thu, and Sat - 8:30 AM to 5:30 PM (approximately).
What to Bring
- Hiking/sport shoes
- Comfortable clothes
- Waterproof jacket
- Sunglasses and sunscreen
- Your voucher will be emailed to you instantly.
- Please display your mobile voucher along with a valid photo ID at the meeting point.
- Kindly ensure that you arrive 10-15 minutes before the start time of your tour to avoid any delays.
- Meet your tour guide at Passeig de Gràcia 26, Barcelona.
Get Directions to the Meeting Point
The nearest metro station is Passeig de Gràcia. Catch the L2, L3, or L4 to get here.
This ticket is valid for the date and time selected during checkout.