Dachau Concentration Camp guided Tour from Munich
Tour the Dachau Concentration Camp, the only Concentration Camp to have existed for the full 12 years of Hitler’s dictatorship. In the minds of the Nazis, especially Heinrich Himmler, it was by far the most important camp within their system and became the model for all others that followed.
- Discover the longest existing concentration camp of Hitler’s times at Dachau in Munich.
- Explore the massive Dachau concentration camps over a period of 4 hours, one of the most historically significant areas of the 20th century.
- Take a comprehensive tour of the camp, including the Schutzstaffel (SS) training quarters with your Dachau Memorial Qualified guide.
- Delve into the depths of the history of the area, and the influence of Nazi rule in Germany.
- With public transportation to and from the site arranged, enjoy a hassle-free and relaxed experience.
Located approximately 16 kilometers to the northwest of Munich, the Dachau concentration camp was opened by the chief architect of the Holocaust, Heinrich Himmler. Liberated more than 74 years back, the concentration camp continues to be maintained well for tourists from across the world.
During this 4-hour sightseeing tour (4 hours on-site, 6 hours including transportation) with our fully Dachau Memorial Qualified guide you will explore:
- The S.S. Training Facility
- Jourhaus - the entrance building and gateway into the camp, with its now infamous words “Arbeit Macht Frei” (Work will set you free)
- Appellplatz - the Roll Call Square
- Memorial Site Museum in the former Maintenance Building
- Registration of new prisoners and their categorization
- Torture and Punishment, both Physical and Psychological
- The Bunker - the prison within the camp
- Bunker Courtyard for both torture and execution
- Barracks - prisoner life and daily routine
- Camp perimeter fence and Guard Towers
- Barrack X - the two Crematoriums, mass graves, and the Gas Chamber
- The International Memorial, (Nandor Glid Sculpture) and Religious Memorials
- Dachau Memorial Qualified Guide
- Transport between Munich and Dachau in public transport
- Entry into Dachau concentration camp
- Food and drinks
Know Before You Go
- Children under the age of 14 are not allowed on this tour.
- We recommend you put on comfortable walking shoes as this tour covers a fair amount of ground.
- Please note that although the Memorial Site itself does not permit the eating of any food within the Memorial grounds, it does allow drinking of water or soft drinks.
- The site also does not permit any smoking (including electronic cigarettes) any animals, flags, banners, or nationalist symbols within the Memorial grounds.
- Photography is permitted but no audio, video or written recordings of any guide are permitted.
The tour runs from Monday through Sunday. The tour will begin at 10:40 AM and conclude at 4:40 PM. The duration of the tour is approximately 6 hours, including the travel to and from the site.
Super Flexible Cancellation Policy
You may cancel this experience up to 24 hours in advance for a full refund.
How To Redeem Your Ticket
You will receive your Dachau Concentration Camp guided Tour from Munich mobile voucher in your email shortly. Please display this on your mobile device along with a valid photo ID at the meeting point.
The meeting point is the Marienplatz, the main central plaza in Munich, at 10:40 AM, outside Wormland (Marienplatz 28) and the Süddeutsche Zeitung Kiosk. Please arrive 15 minutes before the scheduled departure time so that the tour can begin promptly at 10:40 AM. The guides will be holding signs advertising the Dachau tour and holding a white and blue umbrella.
Please note that during the Christmas Markets, from 27th November to 24th December, the meeting point is in front of the department store Ludwig Beck, Marienplatz 11.
Get off at Marienplatz (Theatinerstrasse) using tram nos. 19, 21 or N19.
Get off at Munich Marienplatz station using subway lines U3 or U6.
By Commuter Train
Get off at Munich Marienplatz station using trains S1, S2, S3, S4, S5, S6, S7, or S8.