Murano Glassblowing and Burano Lacemaking Venetian Island Tour by Private Boat
A visit to Venice is incomplete without a visit to the islands of Murano and Burano. Take a boat tour to the Venetian Lagoon and take a peek into the ancient crafts of glass-making and lace-making. Explore the charming islands and their gothic architecture in this interesting half-day tour of the lagoon!
- Enjoy a boat tour through the beautiful Venetian Lagoon and to its islands – Murano & Burano
- Witness the stunning glass-blowing process in Murano’s traditional glass factory
- Watch the ancient art of lace-making and the women at work in the lace shops of Burano
- Capture photographs and memories at the picturesque island of Burano, counted amongst the most colourful places in the world
- Round-trip transportation by private boat taxi
- Small group size of 20 or less
- Discount at the glassblowing and lace-making shop where demonstrations are given (10%+ depending in the item)
- Demonstrations at glassmaking and lace-making shops in English
super flexible cancellation policy
You may cancel up to 24 hours in advance for a full refund.
Your half-day tour of the Venetian Lagoon and its two most beautiful islands – Murano and Burano, begins in the afternoon. Off in a small group tour in a private taxi, you will visit the islands which have a rich history and exquisite artisanship. Enroute to the islands you will be able to see Venice’s most spectacular sights along the canals.
Settlement on these Venetian Islands began in the 1st century and since then each of the islands has developed their own speciality. Your first stop is at the Murano Island, famous for its glass-making art. In ancient times it was the only place where the artisans knew how to make mirrors. Their art was so valued that they were forbidden from leaving the island, for fear of their lives!
You will watch an expert glass-maker at his workstation in a traditional glass-blowing factory. Your guide will translate the entire glass making process and answer all your questions about glass-making. You can buy a small glass souvenir from the workshop to remember these memories. If you have time, you can explore the rest of Murano Island which has stunning Gothic architecture. Some of the places of interest in Murano are the Palazzo da Mula, Santa Maria e Donato’s Cathedral and the Murano lighthouse. From Murano you will proceed to the island of Burano. Nearing the island you will notice the colourful homes, just as the fishermen have been doing for centuries now! The legend goes that they started painting the homes in vibrant colors so the fishermen could see their homes from the sea. While the picturesque homes itself are a visit worth to the island, its lace-making art is what you are there for.
Burano’s lace-making is an ancient tradition and its women have been stitching delicate lace-work for centuries now. In fact, Michelangelo picked up an altar piece when he visited Burano for the then newly constructed Duomo in Milan. You will visit a shop and watch the women in action. You can also take back your own lace item as a souvenir on a discount. After the lace shop visit, you can explore the island and savour the goodies at one of the local bakeries in the Galuppi Square.
You will head back to Venice and back to the humdrum of the city, treasuring the memories of an ancient era gone by!
know before you go
The tour will be conducted in English.
- This tour does not accommodate guests with wheelchairs or other mobility impairments
- The tour will start on time and will not wait for late arrivals due to any reason. Guests are expected to be present at the meeting point 15 mins prior to departure
- The tour will end in front of the Hotel Gabrielli Sandwirth in San Marco
- You will receive an email confirmation with your mobile voucher instantly.
- Please display the voucher on your mobile phone with a valid photo ID to your tour guide.
- If you have purchased reduced price tickets, please carry your valid photo ID proof for verification. Students must show their valid Student IDs.
- Meet your tour guide in front of the Monument to Victor Emmanuel II , Calle Seconda de la Fava, 4171, 30122 Venezia VE, Italy.
- Your guide will be waiting for you at the foot of the statue, facing the lagoon.
- To locate the meeting point on Google Maps, simply search for - 'Monument to Victor Emmanuel II'.
Get Directions to the Meeting Point
The San Marco-Pietà and S. Zaccaria Ferry Terminals are the closest Vaporetto Stations to your meeting point, both situated a 2 minute walk away.
Note: Late arrivals and people who miss their tour will be considered a no-show and will not be eligible for a refund.
The tour reservations have strict timings. If you arrive late for the meeting time, it will not be possible to join the group or reschedule, unless you pay for the activity again (subject to availability).