Ice Cave Classic
Walk in the icy depths of the mammoth Langjökull Glacier! 40m below the surface of the glacier, the ice cave offers a unique opportunity to view the glacier inside out. Watch how it changes the landscape and head to the lava fields which also did their part in shaping Iceland’s scenery. Explore the best of Iceland’s waterfalls, glaciers and ice caves in this classic tour.
- Visit the Langjökull Glacier, the second-largest glacier in Iceland
- Explore its icy netherworld through the longest human made ice tunnel and ice cave
- Visit the lava waterfalls of Hraunfossar and Barnafossar
- Enjoy the breathtaking scenery of Iceland’s most iconic landscapes
The story of Iceland is the story of fire and ice, and you can see how these two elements shaped Iceland over millennia. You will go on a tour to explore the icy depths of the Langjökull Glacier and the lava fields that helped form the fjords and cliffs of Iceland. The Langjökull Glacier is the second-largest glacier in Iceland and is spread across 935 sqkm. You will begin your journey from Reykjavik city to the heart of this immense glacier to explore its underbelly.
Langjökull Glacier is moving fast and shaping the geography around it. When you reach the glacier you will be transferred to a special modified vehicle that can navigate the unruly terrain. You will then enter the heart of the glacier in a tunnel that is almost 550m long and almost 40m below the surface of the glacier. This tunnel is the largest manmade ice tunnel in the world and an ode to human innovation.
With temperatures hovering around zero degree Celsius, the chilling environ is breathtakingly beautiful. Lit up by LEDs, the interiors of the cave take on an icy blue hue unlike any other experienced above the land. The experience of standing underneath a live glacier that behaves like an organism, melting and forming with the seasons is out of this world!
Your guide will take you through the glacier and help you understand the formation of glaciers and their importance in our lives. After getting out of the ice cave you will head out to explore rest of the region. You will first make a quick pitstop at the Hotel Husafell that is one of most remote and beautiful hotels in the world.
Then you will head to Hraunfossar to see a series of picturesque waterfalls that fall off a lava ridge created eons ago. You will also see the Barnafossar waterfall and get to walk through the lava fields that now cold, once created the landscape of the place. Like an artist at play, nature has crafted the incredible landscapes of Iceland through the elements of fire and ice. Watch this in action in a once-in-a lifetime experience on this Icelandic tour!
- A 1-hour guided tour through the Ice Cave with the requisite safety equipment
- Services of a tour guide
- Tour across the Langjökull Glacier in a special modified glacier vehicle
- In-bus audio guide, Wifi and USB charger
- Free pick-up from your place of accommodation
Know Before You Go
The guided tour lasts for about 11 hours. The tour runs every day from Monday to Sunday, all through the year (depending on the weather)
- Expert Guide – English
- In-bus Audio Guide - Japanese, Chinese, Korean, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Finnish, Dutch and English
- You will have to get your own earphones to access the in-bus audio guide, if you forget you can always purchase a set on the bus
- Wear warm and waterproof clothing and sturdy footwear, the temperatures inside the ice cave can be around zero degree Celsius
- Allow some leeway in the return time; it can vary depending on the weather. Also, drop-off may not be possible directly in front of the accommodation. The nearest major thoroughfare will be the drop-off point.
Super Flexible Cancellation Policy
You may cancel your tour booking 24 hours prior to departure for a full refund.
How to use your tickets
You will receive an email voucher when you complete your booking and payment. You can simply show the voucher on your mobile at the pickup.
You will be picked up from your hotel/guest house/accommodation in Reykjavik.
Tour starts and ends at the vicinity of your hotel, Reykjavik