Doge's Palace Secret Itineraries Guided Tour
Explore the heart of erstwhile Republic of Venice at the Doge’s Palace. Admire the wealth and art that reminisces back to the golden age of Venice. Get to explore the secrets of the palace filled with stories of intrigue, torture and imprisonment. This tour offers a peek into the unseen history of Venice itself!
- Enjoy skip the line entry to the Doge’s Palace and special access to its secret wing
- Admire the frescos and murals of masters like Veronese, Tintoretto and Hieronymous Bosch
- View Casanova’s prison cell and walk down the Bridge of Sighs trodden upon by hundreds of prisoners centuries ago
- Explore the secrets of the palace and its grim past with tales of torture and imprisonment
The Doges of Venice ruled over the Republic of Venice for over four centuries from the magnificent Doge’s Palace. Built in 1340, the palace complex designed in traditional Gothic architecture witnessed the highs and lows of Venetian history. This tour explores the secrets of the Doge’s Palace and its stories of wealth and injustice.
Celebrated artists of the Renaissance have left their legacy at the Doge’s Palace including greats like Titian, Gentile da Fabriano, Pisanello, Giovanni Bellini, Alvise Vivarini and Pordenone. The ones that are certain to capture your imagination are the ‘Virtues of the Republic’ by Veronese in the Council Room and ‘The Triumph of Venice’ by Tintoretto on the Senate Hall ceiling. Yet, the beautiful murals, paintings, and decadent interiors tell only one side of the story!
Your guide will take you to the attic to see for yourself Casanova’s cell. The world’s most famous lover, Casanova, plotted his escape from the dark prison of the palace. Your guide will reveal to you the secrets of his feat of hoodwinking the palace security and escaping the prison.
But not all prisoners were as lucky! You can imagine hearing the sighs of the prisoners who would walk the length of the Bridge of sighs to the 16th century New Prisons. The brilliant vantage point, which overlooks the beautiful panorama of Venice, would naturally have drawn sighs of regret all those centuries ago!
Your guide will take you through the secret wing beginning at the Chambers of Secret Chancellery where ancient documents were stored. You will also follow a prisoner’s journey from the Chamber of Inquisitors, Chamber of the Three Head Magistrates and finally the Torture Chambers. If the prisoner was lucky the torture would stop within three days and then he would be taken to his cell.
Your tour ends at the Doge’s Palace and as you step out on the sunny streets of Venice, you will look upon the Doge’s Palace with a new perspective.
Sights visited on the tour
- Chamber of the Secret Chancellery
- Torture Chamber
- Casanova’s Cell
- Chamber of the Inquisitors
- Chamber of the Three Head Magistrates
Non-Guided - (Visit on your own time)
- Chamber of the Great Council
- The Chamber of the Scrutinio
- The Compass Room
- The Chamber of the Council of Ten
- Senate Chamber
- The Council Chamber
- Bridge of Sighs
- Skip the line access entrance ticket to the Doge’s Palace
- English-speaking tour-guide
- Tour in small groups of 25 or less
Know Before You Go
The tour lasts for about 1.25 hours. The tour is conducted on the following days:
From 1st April to 31st October –
- 8:30 AM - Monday, Thursday, Saturday
- 9 AM – All days of the week
The tour will be conducted in English.
- This tour does not accommodate guests with wheelchairs or other mobility impairments
- Children below the age of 6 are not allowed on this tour
- Photography is not allowed inside the Doge’s Palace
- The tour will start on time and will not wait for late arrivals due to any reason
Moderate Cancellation Policy
You may cancel up to 24 hours in advance for a full refund.
The attic was the most fascinating part of the Palace. It is hard to imagine what those prisoners must have gone through.
The moment we entered, I fell in love with the place. It is one of the best places I have ever seen.
If you are in or going to Venice then the Doge’s Palace is something that you cannot afford to miss.
How to use your tickets
You will receive an email confirmation with your mobile voucher instantly. You can simply show the voucher on your mobile device along with a valid photo ID at the time of pickup.
At the foot of Ponte della Paglia, the bridge with the view of the Ponte dei Sospiri (Bridge of Sighs), just outside in front of the Doge's Palace, facing the lagoon.
Ponte della Paglia, Venice