Doge’s Palace: Prisons & Secret Itineraries Tour
Explore the heart of erstwhile Republic of Venice at the Doge’s Palace. Admire the wealth and art that reminisces back to the golden age of Venice. Get to explore the secrets of the palace filled with stories of intrigue, torture and imprisonment. This tour offers a peek into the unseen history of Venice itself!
- Enjoy skip the line entry to the Doge’s Palace and special access to its secret wing
- Admire the frescos and murals of masters like Veronese, Tintoretto and Hieronymous Bosch
- View Casanova’s prison cell and walk down the Bridge of Sighs trodden upon by hundreds of prisoners centuries ago
- Explore the secrets of the palace and its grim past with tales of torture and imprisonment
- Skip the line access entrance ticket to the Doge’s Palace
- English-speaking tour-guide
- Tour in small groups of 25 or less
super flexible cancellation policy
Get a full refund on canceling this ticket up to 24 hours before the schedule.
The Doges of Venice ruled over the Republic of Venice for over four centuries from the magnificent Doge’s Palace. Built in 1340, the palace complex designed in traditional Gothic architecture witnessed the highs and lows of Venetian history. This tour explores the secrets of the Doge’s Palace and its stories of wealth and injustice.
Celebrated artists of the Renaissance have left their legacy at the Doge’s Palace including greats like Titian, Gentile da Fabriano, Pisanello, Giovanni Bellini, Alvise Vivarini and Pordenone. The ones that are certain to capture your imagination are the ‘Virtues of the Republic’ by Veronese in the Council Room and ‘The Triumph of Venice’ by Tintoretto on the Senate Hall ceiling. Yet, the beautiful murals, paintings, and decadent interiors tell only one side of the story!
Your guide will take you to the attic to see for yourself Casanova’s cell. The world’s most famous lover, Casanova, plotted his escape from the dark prison of the palace. Your guide will reveal to you the secrets of his feat of hoodwinking the palace security and escaping the prison.
But not all prisoners were as lucky! You can imagine hearing the sighs of the prisoners who would walk the length of the Bridge of sighs to the 16th century New Prisons. The brilliant vantage point, which overlooks the beautiful panorama of Venice, would naturally have drawn sighs of regret all those centuries ago!
Your guide will take you through the secret wing beginning at the Chambers of Secret Chancellery where ancient documents were stored. You will also follow a prisoner’s journey from the Chamber of Inquisitors, Chamber of the Three Head Magistrates and finally the Torture Chambers. If the prisoner was lucky the torture would stop within three days and then he would be taken to his cell.
Your tour ends at the Doge’s Palace and as you step out on the sunny streets of Venice, you will look upon the Doge’s Palace with a new perspective.
Sights visited on the tour
- Chamber of the Secret Chancellery
- Torture Chamber
- Casanova’s Cell
- Chamber of the Inquisitors
- Chamber of the Three Head Magistrates
Non-Guided - (Visit on your own time)
- Chamber of the Great Council
- The Chamber of the Scrutinio
- The Compass Room
- The Chamber of the Council of Ten
- Senate Chamber
- The Council Chamber
- Bridge of Sighs
know before you go
The tour lasts for about 1.25 hours. The tour is conducted at the following times:
- 8:30 AM - Sundays
- 9:00 AM - All days of the week
This tour will be conducted in English only.
Children aged 6 to 14 years enjoy reduced ticket prices.
- This tour spans across different levels connected by steeps stairs and small confined space, hence cannot accommodate guests with wheelchairs, mobility impairments, and pregnant woman.
- Children below the age of 6 are also not allowed on this tour.
- Photography is not allowed inside the Doge’s Palace
- The tour will start on time and will not wait for late arrivals due to any reason
How to Redeem Your Tickets
- You will receive an email confirmation with your mobile voucher instantly.
- Please display this voucher on your mobile phone with a valid photo ID to your host.
- If you have purchased reduced price tickets, please carry your valid photo ID proof for verification.
- Meet your guide at the foot of Ponte della Paglia , 30124 Venice, Metropolitan City of Venice, Italy
- Your guide will be at the foot of the bridge, facing the lagoon. He/She will be wearing blue polo shirts or jackets at the meeting point for easy recognition and holding a sign with the tour name.
To locate the meeting point on Google Maps, simply search for - Ponte della Paglia
Getting To Ponte della Paglia
- The nearest Vaporetto Station is S. Zaccaria. From here, your meeting point is a 2 minute walk away.
- The nearest Gondola dock is Gondole Stazio Danieli. If you're coming via a gondola, you can asked to be dropped here.
- Late arrivals and people who miss their tour will be considered a no-show and will not be eligible for a refund
- These tour reservations have strict timings. If you are late, it will not be possible to join the group, unless you pay for the activity again (subject to availability).