Montserrat Walking Tour with Tapas & Wine
Make the most of your visit to Barcelona with this incredible tour that combines the mysticism of the Montserrat monastery with traditional Catalan wine found at a boutique winery and the distinct flavors of the region that you will get to sample during a tapas lunch. We can't think of a better way to spend the day, can you?
- Immerse yourself in the beauty and history of the mountains, the beautiful monastery, and other natural wonders in the company of a friendly, English speaking guide.
- Enjoy a delicious Catalan tapas meal in a charming restaurant that will leave you more than content
- Taste delectable wine made at the winery itself, paired with your meal after learning about wine making from scratch
- Spanning over half a day, this tour is perfect to learn about the wonderful region of Catalonia and the things they value most: nature, delicious food and incredible wine!
Once you meet your English speaking guide and get introduced to the rest of your group upon arriving at the meeting point, you will depart for Montserrat, the culmination of natural and man-made beauty. The history and spirituality of the region is very deeply tied to this place and many believe that Catalonia's identity is rooted in Montserrat, possibly due to the fact that the Virgin of Montserrat residing in the Basilica is the patron saint of the region. Your guide will walk you through the atrium, as well as the Basilica which houses the famous 12th-century Romanesque carving of the Verge Moreneta, better known as the Black Madonna. You will also get a chance to marvel at the architecture of the external facade, the cloisters, and Santa Maria square before being given a half hour to explore the farmers market or grab a bite to eat.
Your guide will help you both navigate and explore as a part of this tour. Walk through the vineyards, the wine production areas, so you can truly understand and appreciate the art that is winemaking before sitting down to enjoy a scrumptious cold tapas lunch with dessert, paired with three homegrown, local wines. If you're vegetarian or allergic to gluten, don't worry! Your guide will take a note of dietary restrictions at the start of the tour.
Having had your fill of good food, wine and having taken in the beauty of the Catalonian region, you will make your way back to Barcelona.
- Shared transportation in a comfortable air-conditioned bus
- Professional English speaking local guide
- Guided visit to Montserrat monastery
- Entrance fee to a boutique winery
- Guided visit through the winery and the vines
- Wine tasting (3 premium wines)
- Tapas lunch with dessert
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
Know Before You Go
The tour departs at 8:45 AM daily, but you must reach the meeting point at least 15 minutes prior to departure, without fail. The tour lasts approximately seven hours.
- The correct dress code is requested to enter the Basilica at Montserrat. It is not permitted to enter with tank tops, strapless shirts, short shorts or sandals.
- Please be aware that some walking is included during this tour, please come prepared and we recommend wearing comfortable clothes and shoes.
- Montserrat, being a mountain range, gets inclement weather depending on the season so you will need clothes protecting you from the rain and/or cold during certain times of the year.
- Please note that the itinerary is subject to modification.
- Notify in advance if you wish to hear the Boy's Choir during this experience. Please note that the Boy's Choir does not perform on Saturdays, school holidays, and several other dates throughout the year.
- Since we work with different low-production, family-owned boutique wineries, and due to logistic reasons, it is possible that you may visit another wine cellar other than Oller del Mas.
Rules to be observed in the Sanctuary
The Basilica and Tabernacle of Our Lady:
- You may take photos inside the Basilica, provided you do so without flash and no services are being held.
- At the Throne of Our Lady, it is best not to take photos, as it slows down the queue and disturbs others.
- During acts of worship, we ask you not to enter the Basilica unless you wish to take part. Please wait until the services are finished.
- The Tabernacle of Our Lady is closed during services to make it easier for the faithful to take part and attain an ambiance of silence and prayer.
The Crypt, the Holy Chapel and the Tabernacle:
- These are places of worship. Please do not enter unless it is for devoting a few minutes of prayer and meditation.
- All museum visitors must act properly and safely at all times and they must not disturb others, hinder the normal operation of the museum or damage the museum facilities. Children must be accompanied by an adult responsible for their behaviour.
- Visitors may not enter the museum with bags, packages, suitcases or backpacks larger than 40 x 30 cm.
- Photographs may be taken without flash in the museum galleries. Taking photographs is prohibited in the temporary exhibitions, unless otherwise indicated. Tripods are not allowed.
Super Flexible Cancellation Policy
You may cancel up to 48 hours in advance for a full refund.
You will receive an email confirmation with your mobile voucher instantly. Please display the same on your mobile device along with a valid photo ID to the representative holding a pink umbrella at the meeting point, located outside the Hard Rock Cafe at Plaça Catalunya, 21. We recommend that you arrive 15 minutes prior to the start time of your tour.
- Maximum of 16 people per guide, though this number may be extended to 18. The group size will not be larger than that though transportation may be shared between groups.
- Please note that should weather conditions not be favorable, the operator reserves the right to change the order of the sites visited.