Sagrada Familia & Montserrat Skip the Line Guided tour
Visit two of the most popular attractions near Barcelona, the revered Montserrat Monastery and the Sagrada Familia on this guided tour from Barcelona.
- Explore world-renowned Montserrat and Sagrada Familia this guided tour with comfortable transport from Barcelona.
- With an English-speaking local guide accompanying you on the tour, you can learn more about the impressive history of the area as you go along.
- Visit the Montserrat monastery early in the morning and avoid the crowds that throng at the famous Black Madonna.
- After your tour of the monastery, you can spend your free time either going for an optional panoramic cable car, a walk through the forest, a tasting of local liqueurs, or a visit to the museum of contemporary art.
- Gain skip-the-line access to the Sagrada Familia, saving time in queues that you can spend inside the Sagrada instead.
- With small groups of 25 people or less, you will have an intimate and private experience on this tour.
Embark on a journey to Montserrat early in the morning in an air-conditioned bus from Barcelona. Put the bustle of the city behind you as you climb the hills outside Barcelona and make your way to the ‘serrated mountain’. After a one-hour’s ride, you’ll find yourself in the rugged and majestic landscape of this Catalonian region, a treat for nature lovers of all ages. What’s more, since the tour leaves early from Barcelona, you will reach the monastery a little before most other visitors, thus avoiding the long lines that form daily in front of the Benedictine Monastery and the Black Madonna.
Discover the Serene Beauty of the Montserrat Monastery
You will have a brief orientation with your guide upon your arrival, after which the guide will lead your small group into the Gothic Basilica nestled in between the rock spires and sheer cliffs. Here you can see the famous Black Madonna, believed to be carved out of wood in Jerusalem in the late 12th Century. The Benedictine monks, purportedly, built the monastery around the statue because it was too heavy to be moved, thus turning this remote outpost into a pilgrimage spot.
Once you’re done with the tour, you will have some free time in Montserrat, in which you can either take a cable car ride through the stark and beautiful mountains or spend some time at the interactive historical exhibition which tells you about the impressive history of this region. Alternatively, you can also go to the museum of contemporary art, where masterpieces from Monet, Picasso, and Dali are on display. Finally, you can also enjoy the local culinary specialties, from herbal liquors to cheeses, cured meats, and honey, at the stalls set up by the local artisans to let visitors sample and purchase their wares. These delicacies will give you an authentic taste of the regional Catalan cuisine.
Visit the Breathtaking Sagrada Familia
After the Montserrat part of the tour, you’ll board your bus to Sagrada Familia, where you will have some time to grab lunch before the next leg of the tour begins. With skip-the-line access, you can head past the long entrance lines and straight into the heart of this ever-popular edifice. Gaudí, the architect, considered the Sagrada project his personal holy mission and he made great personal sacrifices in a bid to see its completion, Your guide will explain more about this World Heritage Site, while also giving you a background on Gaudi and his times and works, spicing it all up with stories, anecdotes, and local tales. With this information, you can begin to appreciate the beauty of the pillars and gravity-defying spires designed by God’s own architect.
At the end of the tour, you will be conducted back to Barcelona in the coach, thus wrapping up a fantastic day of discovery and sightseeing.
- Transport to and from Barcelona in an air-conditioned bus
- Expert English-speaking tour guide
- Early morning visit to Montserrat Monastery, Basilica, and Black Madonna
- Skip-the-line tickets to the Sagrada Familia
- Small groups of 25 people or less
- Food and Drinks
- Funicular, track railway or cable car.
Know Before You Go
- This tour involves some walking so please wear comfortable shoes.
- Please dress a bit warmer for Montserrat, since it is colder than the city.
Timings and Availability
This tour takes place on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays. The tour departs from Barcelona at 8:00 AM and it lasts for approximately 7 hours and 30 minutes, ending back in Barcelona.
Unfortunately, this tour is not accessible by wheelchair.
Rules to be observed in the Sanctuary
The Basilica and Tabernacle of Our Lady:
- You may take photos inside the Basilica, provided you do so without flash and no services are being held.
- At the Throne of Our Lady, it is best not to take photos, as it slows down the queue and disturbs others.
- During acts of worship, we ask you not to enter the Basilica unless you wish to take part. Please wait until the services are finished.
- The Tabernacle of Our Lady is closed during services to make it easier for the faithful to take part and attain an ambiance of silence and prayer.
The Crypt, the Holy Chapel and the Tabernacle:
- These are places of worship. Please do not enter unless it is for devoting a few minutes of prayer and meditation.
- All museum visitors must act properly and safely at all times and they must not disturb others, hinder the normal operation of the museum or damage the museum facilities. Children must be accompanied by an adult responsible for their behaviour.
- Visitors may not enter the museum with bags, packages, suitcases or backpacks larger than 40 x 30 cm.
- Photographs may be taken without flash in the museum galleries. Taking photographs is prohibited in the temporary exhibitions, unless otherwise indicated. Tripods are not allowed.
Flexible Cancellation Policy
You may cancel this experience up to 48 hours in advance for a full refund.
You will receive an email with your Sagrada Familia & Montserrat Skip the Line Guided tour mobile voucher soon after purchase. Please display the same along with valid photo ID at the meeting point to gain entry.
Plaça d’Espanya, Av. del Paraŀlel, 08004 Barcelona, Spain
You can catch buses no. 13, 52, 65, or 91 to the Pl. Espanya bus stop.
The nearest metro station is Hostafrancs on the L1 line.
These tickets are valid only for the date booked during checkout.