Fast Track: St. Peter’s Basilica and Vatican Necropolis - Guided Tour
Enjoy a special visit to the Vatican Necropolis which is located under the Basilica and treasures St. Peter’s grave. You will also get to tour the magnificent St.Peter's Basilica with priority access and waste no time while you explore this Rennaissance masterpiece.
- Begin your exploration by visiting the Vatican Necropolis - which is located under the Basilica and treasures St. Peter’s grave.
- Go on a guided tour of St. Peter's Basilica with a small tour group for a more intimate experience and discover what makes it the greatest church in all of Christendom.
- You will receive priority access to St. Peter's Basilica and the Vatican Necropolis with this tour and you get to enter the church through a dedicated entrance.
Begin Your Exploration by Visiting the Vatican Necropolis
The tour begins at a designated meeting point situated in St. Peter's Square, adjacent to the basilica. Here you will see your guide wearing a blue vest with the Vox Mundi logo printed on it. Be there 15 minutes before the beginning of your tour so you can find your guide with ease. You will then be lead inside via a dedicated gate at the security. The Vatican Necropolis is located 10 meters beneath St. Peter's Basilica, below the level of the Vatican Grottoes and in the central nave of the Basilica itself. It is a Roman cemetery, placed next to the Nero’s Circus, where coexisting graves date back to the period between I and IV century (both pagan and Christian). Guests can walk the streets and admire the revered sites from the early Christian civilization and can make the pilgrimage of a lifetime. Here are buried the remains of the Apostle Peter, the first "pope" of Christianity.
At the end of the Necropolis tour, your guide will take you to the Basilica.
Benefit From Priority Access and Enjoy a Guided tour of St.Peter's Basilica
St.Peter's Basilica is easily one of the most popular attractions in the world, receiving over 5 million visitors annually. Hence, wait lines at the venue can be anywhere between 1 to 3 hours long. Purchasing this fast-track ticket before your visit not only helps you save time but also allows you to choose an entry slot according to your convenience. Your guide's immersive commentary will give you insights into this revered Basilica. You will see classic Renaissance masterpieces such as Michelangelo’s Pieta, Bernini’s Chair of St. Peter and also have the chance to pay homage to the tomb of St. John Paul II.
Visiting the Vatican Necropolis is a privilege, a privilege that the Fabbrica di San Pietro authorizes from time to time according to an appropriate program prepared by the Excavations Office. It's not every day where you can visit the fascinating underground sanctums of St.Peter's. With this tour, you will embark on an expedition of a lifetime.
- Fast track access to St.Peter's Basilica.
- Access to the Vatican Necropolis.
- Guided tour of the Basilica and Necropolis.
- English speaking professional tour guide.
Know Before You Go
Participants below the age of 15 are not allowed into the Necropolis and are not suitable for this tour.
During the visit of the underground burial, visitors may be affected by the altered environmental conditions of temperature and humidity. Those who have special physical problems, subject to increase under these conditions, including claustrophobia, are advised not to access the visit.
Timings and Availability
This tour is available on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 11:30 PM. This tour is 2.5 hours long.
This tour is available in English only.
Please be dressed appropriately. Sleeveless blouses, miniskirts, shorts, and hats are not permitted. Knees and shoulders MUST be covered for both men and women. Comfortable shoes are recommended.
Super Flexible Cancellation Policy
You may cancel up to 24 hours in advance for a full refund.
How to Redeem Your Tickets
- You will receive your guided tour voucher in a few minutes.
- On the day of the experience, head to the meeting point and display the voucher on your mobile phone along with a photo ID to begin your tour.
- The meeting point is located under the right side colonnade (series of columns around the Basilica Square), facing the Basilica, precisely in front of the Police Hurdle.
- Look for the guide wearing a blue vest with the Vox Mundi logo printed on it.
By Light Rail: Get off at the Risorgimento - San Pietro stop. The meeting point is a 7 minute walk from the station.
By Bus: Get off at the Risorgimento station. The meeting point is a 5-minute walk from the stop.