Underground Tour of San Clemente, Rome
Make your way to one of Rome's hidden gems, San Clemente Basilica's underground archaeological site, and learn all about its 2000-year-old history with an expert English-speaking tour guide.
- With an English-speaking tour guide, explore the underground archaeological site of San Clemente Basilica.
- Make your way to the lower floors to uncover 2000 years of history of this site which is one of Rome's hidden treasures located just a stone's throw from the Colosseum.
- Be fascinated by the beautiful gold mosaics in St. Clement's Basilica.
- Descend to the lowest levels of the excavations to find an old Mithraic temple and altar.
- Entry to San Clemente Archeological Site
- English-speaking tour guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
You can cancel these tickets up to 24 hours before the experience begins and get a full refund.
The 12th-century Basilica and the ancient site of San Clemente, two of Rome's hidden gems, are just a short distance from the Colosseum. Gasp in awe as you explore this location's three underground floors to learn about its more than 2,000-year history. The underground floors of the Basilica were undiscovered until 1860. If it wasn't for a flood in that year that prompted an Irish Dominican Roman Catholic priest and archaeologist to discover this space, it would have been undiscovered even today.
You can go 100 feet underground even if the excavations aren't finished yet. On the lower level is a basilica from the fourth century. When the 12th-century basilica above it was built, it had long been forgotten. Further down, there is an antique Mithraic temple with an altar.
know before you go
know before you go
- This tour involves walking on uneven terrain and is not suitable for guests who are unable to walk or climb/descend stairs on their own.
- Thu, Fri, Sat, and Sun: 3pm
- Your voucher will be emailed to you instantly.
- Display the voucher on your mobile phone with a valid photo ID at the meeting point.
- Please arrive at the meeting point 15 minutes before the scheduled time of your visit to avoid any delays.
- Meet your guide at Via di S. Giovanni in Laterano, 126.
- Address: Via di S. Giovanni in Laterano, 126, 00184 Roma RM, Italy.
- Landmark: At the corner of Via di S. Giovanni in Laterano, 126, next to the S. Clemente Basilica. (Please be aware that the meeting place is outside and not inside of a building)
Get Directions to the Meeting Point
- The closest bus stop is S. Giovanni In Laterano/S. Clemente. It is a quick 1-minute walk to the meeting point.
- Board buses #85 & #117 to get you there.
- The closest metro stop is Colosseo. It is a quick 9-minute walk to the meeting point.
- Board metros MEB & MEB1 to get you there.