Private Day Trip to Bulgaria from Bucharest With a Visit to Veliko Tarnovo
Discover Bulgaria's medieval history on this full-day tour of some of its best historical attractions!
- Embark on a private, full-day tour of northern Bulgarian highlights from Bucharest.
- Cross the border and the Danube River in a comfortable vehicle.
- Tour the enchanting medieval city of Veliko Tarnovo, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Explore the hilltop fortress of Tsarevets, once the primary stronghold of the Second Bulgarian Empire.
- Fall in love with the murals that adorn the UNESCO-listed churches in Arbanassi.
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Transportation in a modern vehicle
- Expert English-speaking guide
- Entrance fees for Tsarevets Palace, Arbanassi House
- Bottle of water
- Lunch (approx. 13 EUR)
- Entrance fees to monuments/sights other than those mentioned in the itinerary
- Photography fees
These tickets can't be cancelled or rescheduled.
Begin your private day tour from Bucharest in the morning. A tour guide will pick you up from your hotel and take you on a journey south towards Bulgaria. On the way, cross the Danube River - the second largest river in Europe. Located just about 100km from the Romanian border is the charming city of Veliko Tarnovo. This UNESCO World Heritage Site holds a tremendous cultural and historic value. You'll see it for yourself when you step through the gates of the medieval town. Palaces, a fortress, homes with unique architectural styles, museums, monasteries, and more surround you - all of these buildings date back centuries.
Walk on the cobbled streets, and listen to your guide recount the history of the town, once the capital of the Second Bulgarian Empire. Make your way to one of Bulgaria's most beloved monuments, the Tsarevets Fortress. Encircled by thick walls, it has the remains of more than 400 houses, 18 churches, the royal palace, an execution rock, and more. Explore the market, which has two streets bordered by shops, craftsmen's workshops, and inns. Don't miss out on some souvenir shopping from this center, which recreates the atmosphere of the early 20th century. On the way back to Bucharest, stop near the 15th-century village of Arbanassi. The oldest church found here is the Nativity church. The mural paintings in the chapel are from 1632 and they depict scenes from the most important moments of St. John the Baptist’s life, who is the patron of the chapel.
know before you go
know before you go
- Wear comfortable shoes as there is a moderate amount of walking involved.
- Temperatures can drop down to low levels here, so make sure to wear warm clothes.
- Photography is allowed, however you are not permitted to use flash or tripods.
- Veliko Tarnovo
- Daily at 8:00 AM
- Holidays: 1st May, 20th Dec-5th Jan
- Your voucher will be emailed to you instantly.
- Please display your mobile voucher along with a valid photo ID to your guide.
- This ticket includes hotel pickups and drop-offs.
- While booking, please provide the name of your hotel.
- This is applicable to all hotels in Bucharest.
- If your hotel is not in the pickup zone, you will be provided with the nearest pickup location.
- On the day of your tour, please arrive at your hotel lobby 10 minutes prior to the scheduled pickup time.
- If your hotel does not have a lobby, please wait at the entrance of your hotel.
This ticket is valid for the date and time during checkout.