Guided Tour of the Cold War Stretch in Berlin
Discover Berlin as the frontier of the Cold War on this historical guided walking tour. Retrace the steps of several people at the Berlin Wall, the Palace of Tears, and the ‘Death Strip’.
- Explore the Berlin Wall, the Palace of Tears, and the hidden areas of the ‘Death Strip’.
- Retrace the steps taken by the military and learn about the tension between the United States and its NATO allies, and the Soviet Union and its allies.
- Hear about the VIA, KGB, and Stasi surveillance techniques.
- Discover the history of Berlin, from its founding to this divided city of the Cold War.
- Find out about the daily life of Berlin’s citizens, during the Cold War.
- Expert English-speaking guide
- Audio guide
- Hotel transfers
- Meal inclusions
- Public transport ticket (can be purchased at meeting point)
You can cancel these tickets up to 24 hours before the experience begins and get a full refund.
Discover Berlin as the frontier of the Cold War on this historical guided walking tour. After World War II, Berlin changed from the capital city of Nazi Germany into a pivotal city in a struggle to control war-torn Europe. As two superpowers faced off, the city was to become the epicenter of the Cold War. Ever wonder what it was like to live ‘behind the wall’, in the Eastern Bloc’s heavily policed state?
Learn about the Stasi’s most devious methods to keep the entire East German population under 40 years of surveillance. Discover KGB’s support in their ‘comrades’, as they attempted to outwit MI6 and the CIA. Walk through the Palace of Tears, also known as Tränenpalast, which was once used as a strategic border control crossing point. Travel between the ‘ghost stations’, and hear stories of daring attempts. Hear how ‘the Wall’ came crashing down on the night of 9th November 1989. Visit the last remaining stretch of the ‘death strip’ and Berlin Wall. Spot the site of multiple escape tunnels, which successfully conducted some East Berliners to the West. Pay homage to the souls of the lost ones at the Chapel of Reconciliation. Soak in this city’s extraordinary history.
know before you go
know before you go
- It is recommended to wear comfortable shoes on this tour.
- This tour is wheelchair accessible.
- Outside food and drinks are permitted on this tour.
- Photography is allowed on this tour.
- Tue, Thu & Sat: 10am onwards
- Your voucher will be emailed to you instantly.
- Display the voucher on your mobile phone with a valid photo ID at the meeting point.
- Please arrive at the meeting point 15 minutes before the scheduled time of your visit to avoid any delays.
- Meet your guide at Insider Tour Berlin.
- Address: Reichstagufer 17, 10117 Berlin, Germany.
- Landmark: Outside Friedrichstraße station, on the square between the 'Tränenpalast' (Palace of Tears) and the station.
- Your guide will be wearing a "Blue Lanyard and Yellow Name Tag".
- The closest bus stop is Berlin Friedrichstraße station. It is a quick 1-minute walk to the meeting point.
- Board buses 147, M1, N6 to get you there.