Early Access Guided Tour to Montserrat Monastery from Barcelona
Embark on an early morning pilgrimage to the beautiful Montserrat mountain via air conditioned coach and visit the gem that is hidden within it in peace and tranquility, bypassing the crowds, which is the Royal Basilica of Montserrat. Marvel at the history and traditions of gorgeous Catalonia.
- Immerse yourself in the spiritual atmosphere of the Montserrat mountain and enjoy some breathtaking views of the adjacent areas in the early morning light
- Admire the beautiful Royal Basilica of Montserrat, which holds the carving of the Black Madonna and the Virgin of Montserrat, the patron saint of Catalonia enshrined in the structure.
- If the time of year is right, enjoy the performance by the children’s choir L’Escolania, which only adds to the exquisite experience of the Basilica.
You will start your trip in your comfortable coach at the meeting point of the tour, right outside the centrally located Hard Rock Cafe, just as the sun is about to rise. Travel a ways outside the city before ascending the mountain steadily, enjoying the majestic views as you go along, with your guide talking to you about Catalonian history and specialities.
Visit the Basilica of Montserrat, which houses the Virgin of Montserrat, who was the patron saint of Catalonia, undisturbed by the usual crowds with your guide at your side, regaling you with tales of the old monastery and how it was founded. The little monastery first gained fame and recognition when it started receiving pilgrims and visitors who spread the word of the miracles and wonders performed by the Virgin. Though the Monastery has modernized, it still caters to the needs of the pilgrims that stop here. You can also admire from a distance the famous 12th century Romanesque carving of the Verge Moreneta, better known as the Black Madonna. The treasures within the monastery are almost as breathtaking as the views from it, especially in the dazzling morning sun.
You will then be given some free time to learn about the creation of Montserrat and admire its rich history, as well as getting to taste the typical liquors of the mountain, hand made at the monastery itself. Should the time of year be opportune, you may get to enjoy the beautiful performance by the Escolania of Montserrat, the children’s choir at the sanctuary.
- Air conditioned motor coach
- Bilingual official guide
- Taste of 4 typical liquors, handmade by the monks of the monastery
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
Know Before You Go
The tour starts at 6:45 AM from outside the Hard Rock Cafe, located at Placa Catalunya, 21.
From November 1 - March 31, the tour is available on Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday. From April 1 - October 31, the tour is available everyday.
• Correct dress code is requested to enter the Basilica at Montserrat. It is not permitted to enter with tank tops, strapless shirts, short shorts or sandals.
• Please be aware that some walking is included during this tour, please come prepared and we recommend wearing comfortable clothes and shoes.
• Montserrat, being a mountain range, gets inclement weather depending on the season so you will need clothes protecting you from the rain and/or cold during certain times of the year.
Super Flexible Cancellation Policy
You may cancel up to 24 hours in advance for a full refund.
You will receive an email confirmation with your mobile voucher instantly. Please display the same on your mobile device along with a valid photo ID at the meeting point, located outside the Hard Rock Cafe at Plaça Catalunya, 21. We recommend that you arrive 15 minutes prior to the start time of your tour.
Outside Hard Rock Café at Plaça Catalunya, 21, Barcelona
Other experiences similar to Early Access Guided Tour to Montserrat Monastery from Barcelona