Montserrat Monastery & Museum Tickets + Transfers from Barcelona
Explore Montserrat at your own pace with this experience that lets you in to the many wonders of the mountain city! Enjoy the train journey from the city to the base of the mountain before boarding the rack railway that will take you to the heart of Montserrat! This all inclusive, self guided visit gives you the flexibility to visit the complex any time during operational hours on the day of your booking!
- Immerse yourself in the spiritual atmosphere of the Montserrat mountain and enjoy some breathtaking views of the adjacent areas
- Admire the beautiful Royal Basilica of Montserrat, which holds the carving of the Black Madonna and the Virgin of Montserrat, the patron saint of Catalonia enshrined in the structure.
- If the time of year is right, enjoy the performance by the children’s choir L’Escolania, which only adds to the exquisite experience of the Basilica.
- Enjoy access to the Audiovisual Space and learn about the history of the Sanctuary.
- Stop for a lunch at the Buffet Restaurant located in Montserrat.
One of the best and fastest ways to commute from bustling Barcelona to serene Montserrat is by taking the train to the foot of the mountain before boarding a cog wheel train that will make the 15 minute and over 4000 ft ascent to the top of the mountain and straight into the monastery.
Enjoy access to the Montserrat museum, home to the great collection of art managed by the Abbey of Montserrat, and containing various works by Catalan artists, other sculptures and architectural pieces and spanning a vast chronological period of time.
Visit the Basilica of Montserrat, which houses the Virgin of Montserrat, who was the patron saint of Catalonia. The little monastery first gained fame and recognition when it started receiving pilgrims and visitors who spread the word of the miracles and wonders performed by the Virgin. Though the Monastery has modernized, it still caters to the needs of the pilgrims that stop here. You can also admire from a distance the famous 12th century Romanesque carving of the Verge Moreneta, better known as the Black Madonna. The treasures within the monastery are almost as breathtaking as the views from it.
Stop for a quick lunch at the buffet restaurant before visiting the audio- visual exhibition about the creation of Montserrat and its rich history. Should the time of year be opportune, you may get to enjoy the beautiful performance by the Escolania of Montserrat, the children’s choir at the sanctuary.
- Round trip train tickets from Barcelona to Montserrat.
- Ticket to Rack Railway
- Ticket to the Montserrat Museum
- Ticket to Audiovisual Room
- Buffet/Coffee Shop Lunch
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
Know Before You Go
Please note that your ticket includes entry to the Museum of Montserrat and the 'Inside Montserrat' Audiovisual Space. Entry to both these attractions is timed so you will be choosing the time slot for entry to the Museum of Montserrat in the next step of your booking and the time slot for your entry to the 'Inside Montserrat' Audiovisual Space on the checkout page.
We kindly request that you bear in mind the travel time between Barcelona and Montserrat when choosing this time slot so your visit is not rushed.
Transport and Ticket Collection
- You will have to show your mobile voucher at the Ferrocarrils de la Generalitat de Catalunya (FCG) booths in Plaça Espanya and collect your transport card.
- You will have to get your ticket validated at the Railway Ticket Office in Plaça Espanya, which is open from 8:00 AM to 2:00 PM. You can only validate your ticket transport during these hours.
- You will have to take any R5 train in the direction of Manresa Baixador and get off at Monistrol de Montserrat Station. R5 trains run to Manresa on an hourly basis starting at 8 AM.
- Monistrol de Montserrat is the station from which you can take the rack railway to Montserrat monastery. Two to three trains run every hour from 8:30 AM to 7:00 PM.
- Once you arrive, please visit the Montserrat Information office in order to validate your ticket for your buffet lunch and collect your entry tickets to the Museum of Montserrat and the 'Inside Montserrat' Audiovisual Space.
Information Office: Open from 9:00 AM to 5:45 PM.
The Audiovisual Space: Open from 9:00 AM to 5:45 PM.
The Museum of Montserrat: Open from 10:00 AM to 5:45 PM.
Buffet Restaurant: Open from 12:00 PM to 4:00 PM.
The Basilica: Open from 7:30 AM to 8:00 PM. Convent mass is at 11 am (during religious services we ask you not to enter unless you wish to participate).
The Tabernacle of Our Lady: Open from 8:00 AM to 10:30 AM and 12 - 6:30 PM.
Rules to be observed in the Sanctuary
The Basilica and Tabernacle of Our Lady:
You may take photos inside the Basilica, provided you do so without flash and no services are being held.
At the Throne of Our Lady, it is best not to take photos, as it slows down the queue and disturbs others.
During acts of worship, we ask you not to enter the Basilica unless you wish to take part. Please wait until the services are finished.
The Tabernacle of Our Lady is closed during services to make it easier for the faithful to take part and attain an ambiance of silence and prayer.
The Crypt, the Holy Chapel and the Tabernacle:
- These are places of worship. Please do not enter unless it is for devoting a few minutes of prayer and meditation.
All museum visitors must act properly and safely at all times and they must not disturb others, hinder the normal operation of the museum or damage the museum facilities. Children must be accompanied by an adult responsible for their behaviour.
Visitors may not enter the museum with bags, packages, suitcases or backpacks larger than 40 x 30 cm.
Photographs may be taken without flash in the museum galleries. Taking photographs is prohibited in the temporary exhibitions, unless otherwise indicated. Tripods are not allowed.
Strict Cancellation Policy
These tickets cannot be cancelled, amended or rescheduled.
You will receive a confirmation email with your mobile ticket shortly. Download the attached document and show it on your mobile phone on the day of your visit or print out the attached document with the QR code and bring it with you on the day of your visit; this will be your ticket, and you must show it at the different points of validation.
At the FGC booths in Plaça d'Espanya Station you will receive your transport card once you show your ticket. You will receive your entry tickets to the Museum of Montserrat and the 'Inside Montserrat' Audiovisual Space from the Montserrat Information office.
Barcelona-Plaça Espanya Station, Barcelona
Other experiences similar to Montserrat Monastery & Museum Tickets + Transfers from Barcelona