Early-Morning Express : Montserrat Guided Tour
Visit the famous and revered Montserrat monastery on this guided tour from Barcelona. Beat the crowds and get there early for some peaceful moments away from the bustle of the city.
- Explore the world-renowned Montserrat monastery on this guided tour with comfortable transport from Barcelona.
- Reach Montserrat before most other visitors, letting you avoid the long lines for the Black Madonna.
- With an English-speaking local guide accompanying you on the tour, you can learn more about the impressive history of the area as you go along.
- After your tour of the monastery, you can spend your free time either going for an optional panoramic cable car, a walk through the forest, a tasting of local liqueurs, or a visit to the museum of contemporary art.
Embark on a journey into the heart of Montserrat early in the morning in an air-conditioned bus from Barcelona. Put the bustle of the city behind you as you climb the hills outside Barcelona and make your way to the ‘serrated mountain’, Montserrat. After a one-hour’s ride, you’ll find yourself in the rugged and majestic landscape of this Catalonian region, a treat for nature lovers of all ages. What’s more, since the tour leaves early from Barcelona, you will reach the monastery a little before most other visitors, thus avoiding the long lines that form daily in front of the Benedictine Monastery and the Black Madonna.
Discover the Serene Beauty of the Monastery
You will have a brief orientation with your guide upon your arrival, after which the guide will lead your small group into the Gothic Basilica nestled in between the rock spires and sheer cliffs. Here you can see the famous Black Madonna, believed to be carved out of wood in Jerusalem in the late 12th Century. The Benedictine monks, purportedly, built the monastery around the statue because it was too heavy to be moved, thus turning this remote outpost into a pilgrimage spot.
Once you’re done with the tour, you will have some free time in Montserrat, in which you can either take a cable car ride through the stark mountains or spend some time at the interactive historical exhibition which tells you about the impressive history of this region. Alternatively, you can also go to the museum of contemporary art, where masterpieces from Monet, Picasso, and Dali are on display.
Finally, you can also enjoy the local culinary specialties, from herbal liquors to cheeses, cured meats, and honey, at the stalls set up by the local artisans to let visitors sample and purchase their wares. These delicacies will give you an authentic taste of the regional Catalan cuisine, nicely rounding off your trip before you return to Barcelona.
- Transport to and from Barcelona in an air-conditioned coach
- Expert English-speaking tour guide
- Small groups of 25 or less
- Visit to Montserrat monastery, Basilica, and Black Madonna
Know Before You Go
- This tour involves some walking so please wear comfortable shoes.
- Please dress a bit warmer for Montserrat, since it is colder than the city.
Timings and Availability
This tour takes place on all days of the week except Sundays and Wednesdays. The tour departs from Barcelona at 8:00 AM and it lasts for approximately 5 hours, ending back in Barcelona.
Unfortunately this tour is not accessible by wheelchair.
Rules to be observed in the Sanctuary
The Basilica and Tabernacle of Our Lady:
- You may take photos inside the Basilica, provided you do so without flash and no services are being held.
- At the Throne of Our Lady, it is best not to take photos, as it slows down the queue and disturbs others.
- During acts of worship, we ask you not to enter the Basilica unless you wish to take part. Please wait until the services are finished.
- The Tabernacle of Our Lady is closed during services to make it easier for the faithful to take part and attain an ambiance of silence and prayer.
The Crypt, the Holy Chapel and the Tabernacle:
- These are places of worship. Please do not enter unless it is for devoting a few minutes of prayer and meditation.
- All museum visitors must act properly and safely at all times and they must not disturb others, hinder the normal operation of the museum or damage the museum facilities. Children must be accompanied by an adult responsible for their behaviour.
- Visitors may not enter the museum with bags, packages, suitcases or backpacks larger than 40 x 30 cm.
- Photographs may be taken without flash in the museum galleries. Taking photographs is prohibited in the temporary exhibitions, unless otherwise indicated. Tripods are not allowed.
Flexible Cancellation Policy
You may cancel this experience up to 48 hours in advance for a full refund.
You will receive an email with your Early-Morning Express : Montserrat Guided Tour mobile voucher soon after purchase. Please display the same along with valid photo ID at the meeting point to gain entry.
Plaça d’Espanya, Av. del Paraŀlel, 08004 Barcelona, Spain
You can catch buses no. 13, 52, 65, or 91 to the Pl. Espanya bus stop.
The nearest metro station is Hostafrancs on the L1 line.
These tickets are valid only for the date booked during checkout.