Dachau Concentration Camp & Hebertshausen tour from Munich
Visit Dachau Concentration Camp on this guided tour from Munich and witness the solemn testimonial of the former Nazi site. Learn and understand the events that took place in the concentration camp, with commentary from a specially trained guide as you are taken on a comprehensive tour of the monument. You will also make a stop the former shooting range of the SS, at the Hebertshausen.
- Visit one of the prime monuments of Nazi rule in Germany, at the Dachau Concentration Camp located 12 kilometers northwest from Munich.
- Explore the massive camp, and get to see the barracks, bunkers, crematoriums, torture chambers, and gas chambers firsthand.
- With a professional English-speaking guide accompanying you, listen to knowledgeable commentary about the camp, and understand how Dachau went on to become a model for every other concentration camp set up by the Nazis.
- Watch a documentary film about the inmates and learn about the inhumane treatment and living conditions they underwent, including the medical experiments, torture, and mass executions.
- You will also visit the former SS shooting range at Herbertshausen, the site where the Nazis murdered over 4,000 Soviet prisoners of war.
- Enjoy a convenient and hassle-free transport to Dachau from Munich, saving you the effort of finding a way to reach the destination by yourself.
Witness the Brutality of the Nazi Reign in Germany
In the spring of 1933, the Nazis began to set their “Final Solution” into motion, and they set up the Dachau Concentration Camp, one of the first of its kind. It has gone on to become one of the most widely recognized and resentfully remembered spots of Germany. The Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial was constructed after the fall of the Third Reich, to bear witness to the barbaric acts of the Nazis. A visit to this solemn site will grant you a better understanding of the consequences of unchecked political clout and violent ideologies. Your tour will begin in Munich, and you will be taken to the memorial site by bus. Once you have reached there, you will be led through the concentration camp by your guide. The sprawling Jourhaus is the first thing that you will see, with the infamous words “Arbeit Macht Frei” which translates to “Work will set you free” etched on top.
Explore the Dachau Concentration Camp
As you progress through this tour, you will learn several historical facts and gain insight into the history of WW2 Germany and Hitler’s reign. The guides are specially trained and will convey these disconcerting topics with a great deal of sensitivity and respect to the victims. You will go through the various sites of the memorial, such as the infamous roll call square, the barracks where the victims were forced to work, and the bunkers where they had to live in horrifying conditions. The gas chambers, where mass executions were carried out, are sure to leave a chill down your spine, as your guides explain the procedure that was followed and talk about the thousands that were murdered here. A documentary film will also be screened, to sketch a clearer picture of the inmates’ lives and sorrows. The Dachau tour is thought-provoking and is an experience that you will not easily forget.
Before returning to Munich, you will make one final stop at the former SS Shooting Range of Hebertshausen. Here, the Nazi SS officers indiscriminately murdered over 4000 Russian POWs, and memorials have been erected to honor the victims. Throughout the tour, you will have plenty of time for quiet reflection at the many memorials scattered throughout the camp and shooting range. There is no doubt that you will be deeply moved at the end of the 6.5-hour experience at this historic location.
- Professional English speaking guide
- Access to Dachau concentration camp and Herbertshausen shooting range
- Transport between Munich and Dachau via air-conditioned coach
- 20-minute documentary about Dachau
- Food and drinks
Know Before You Go
- Children under the age of 14 are not allowed on this tour.
- Food cannot be purchased or eaten on the Memorial grounds.
- It is recommended that you bring water.
- Please be at the meeting point at least 20 minutes before departure
Timings and Availability
- This tour takes place on Monday, Thursday, and Sunday and it departs at 9:00 AM
- The duration of the tour is approximately 6.5 hours.
The tour will include a fair amount of walking, so please wear appropriate footwear and weather-appropriate clothing. Visitors are also asked to respect the dignity of the site by wearing appropriate attire.
Unfortunately, this tour is not accessible by wheelchair, as not all paths in the former prison camp have been paved, for reasons related to monument preservation.
Super Flexible Cancellation Policy
You may cancel this experience up to 48 hours in advance for a full refund.
How To Redeem Your Ticket
You will receive your Dachau Concentration Camp & Hebertshausen Tour mobile voucher in your email shortly. Please display this on your mobile device along with a valid photo ID at the meeting point.
Hauptbahnhof, in front of the Karstadt department store, 80335 München, Germany
- Get off at stop Monaco using buses 1003, 2003.
- Alternatively, get off at Munich Hauptbahnhof Nord using buses SEV, 58, 100, 6207, 9551, N17, N19, or X98.
By Subway/ Commuter Train
- Get off at Munich Central Station station using lines BOB, BRB, EC ,EN, IC, ICE, M, NJ, RB, RE, RJ, RJX, S1, S2, S3, S4, S5, S6, S7, S8, TGV, or TGV INOUI. .
The Dachau Concentration Camp & Hebertshausen Tour ticket is valid only for the date of the booking.