Daintree Dreaming Tour: Aboriginal Art & Culture/Traditional Aboriginal Fishing
Immerse yourself in folktales passed down from the descendants of the Kuku Yalanji tribe. Visit Mossman Gorge to explore one of the world's oldest known cultures with an Aboriginal guide. Opt for the traditional fishing experience to learn the gathering techniques still practiced today, or enjoy a 1.5-hour art class led by a talented Aboriginal artist.
- Avail of flexible hotel pick-ups and informative commentary as ride along the picturesque and tranquil region of the Great Barrier Reef Drive.
- Visit the Mossman Gorge Centre to experience a traditional Aboriginal smoking ritual that welcomes you to the area.
- Stroll throught the Mossman Gorge rainforest and learn about the unique bond Kuku Yalanji people share with the land.
- Tailor your experience by choosing between two packages that take you closer to the Aboriginal heritage - the Art & Culture and the Traditional Fishing experience.
- Go for the Aboriginal Art & Culture tour to enjoy a 1.5 hour art class and local lunch. Discover how stories are told through paintings and go home with your own canvas.
- Choose the Traditional Fishing option to learn about the fishing and gathering techniques that are still effective today, from a Kubirri Warra clan member.
- English-speaking Aboriginal guide
- Hotel transfers from Cairns, Northern Beaches and Port Douglas
- Guided walk through Mossman Gorge rainforest
- 1.5-hour painting class at Janbal Gallery (Aboriginal Art & Culture)
- Lunch (Aboriginal Art & Culture)
- Lesson in fishing and gathering techniques (Traditional Aboriginal Fishing)
- Tasting of damper (Traditional Aboriginal Fishing)
- Lunch (Traditional Aboriginal Fishing)
You can cancel these tickets up to 48 hours before the experience begins and get a full refund.
Start your experience with a scenic journey along the Great Barrier Reef Drive. Pass the time merrily on your way to the Mossman town between great views and engaging commentary from your guide.
Customize Your Foray Into Aboriginal Heritage
Take your pick from the following two options for your Daintree Dreaming tour -
Aboriginal Art & Culture
Visit the Janbal Gallery for a 1.5 hour painting class conducted by the Aboriginal artist Brian 'Binna' Swindley. Learn about the local painting techniques as Binna regales you with Dreamtime tales of language, environment, and animals. Learn how Aboriginal stories are told through art, and enjoy the chance to go home with your own painted canvas.
The experience also comes with a lunch, every morsel infused with the delicious local flavors at Mossman Gorge.
Aboriginal Traditional Fishing
Head towards the traditional fishing and gathering grounds of Cooya Beach, along with a Kubirri Warra clan member. Watch closely as they demonstrate and teach ancient techniques that still sustain the families of the Kuku Yalanji tribe. Afterwards, indulge in the taste of homemade damper on the idyllic beach.
Discover the Delights of Nature and Culture at Mossman Gorge
After your chosen experience, head towards the Mossman Gorge Centre and participate in the traditional welcome-to-country smoking ceremony. Partake of lunch (only for the Aboriginal Art & Culture experience) before embarking on a interpretive walk through the lush Mossman Gorge (Manjal Dimbi) rainforest. Admire the beauty of the ancient environment as your Aboriginal guide enlightens you about the special bond the Kuku Yalanji people share with the land.
know before you go
know before you go
- The Traditional Aboriginal Fishing experience calls for a medium to high level of fitness as guests will be walking across Cooya Beach, through mudflats and wading through coastal waters up to knee height.
- It is recommended to bring comfortable clothes & walking shoes (no long pants if participating in Traditional Fishing), insect repellent, water bottle, hat/sunscreen, umbrella/raincoat (in wet weather).
Mon, Fri, and Sat: 9:30am onwards.
- Your voucher will be emailed to you instantly.
- Please display the voucher on your mobile phone with a valid photo ID during the pick-up.
- This ticket includes hotel pickups and drop-offs.
- In the next step of booking, please specify the name and address of your hotel.
- On the day of your tour, please report at your hotel lobby 10-15 min prior to your scheduled departure.
- If your hotel does not have a lobby, please wait at the entrance of the hotel.