Chiang Rai Temples Tour: White Temple, Blue Temple & Black House
Discover the artistry of the city of Chiang Rai on a guided tour to the White Temple, Blue Temple, and the Black House, along with a visit to the Mae Khachan hot springs.
- Take a guided tour of Chiang Rai and visit the major attractions- The White Temple, the Blue Temple, and the Black House.
- Succeeding the pick-up from the pick-up spot in an AC vehicle, start your tour with a rejuvenating dip in the hot water springs of Mae Khachan.
- Visit the modern art masterpiece that the White Temple is and marvel at the complex creativity of this place.
- Pay your respects to the imposing statue of Lord Buddha in the gorgeously designed, peaceful Blue Temple.
- At the surreal Black House, take a look at objects and artworks symbolizing life, death, desires, and anguish.
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- English-speaking tour guide
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- Entrance fees at White Temple and Black House
- Drinking water
- Donation at Blue Temple
You can cancel these tickets up to 24 hours before the experience begins and get a full refund.
Explore the colors of the town of Chiang Rai with a guided trip to the White Temple, the Blue Temple, and the Black House. Following your pick-up in an air-conditioned vehicle from your hotel, dip your feet in the energizing waters of the Mae Khachan hot spring. Watch in amazement as the locals use the vents to boil eggs!
Visit the Mesmerizing White Temple
The White Temple, locally known as the Wat Rong Khun, is the modern art version of a temple designed by visual artist Chalermchai Kositpipat. The striking white exteriors stand bright, with glass pieces mixed in the plaster that glistens in the sunlight, symbolizing the purity and wisdom of Lord Buddha. Hundreds of hands reaching out, signifying greed and hell, are installed on both sides of the bridge leading to the main temple building. This bridge, built over a small lake, symbolizes traveling across the cycle of life and death. Still under construction, this temple is supposed to have nine buildings by the end. This temple will leave you astonished with stunning traditional idols and artwork of modern superheroes and villains to preach the tenets of good standing victorious over evil.
Experience the Tranquility of the Blue Temple
The Blue Temple is also known as the Wat Rong Suea Ten or “The Temple of the Dancing Tiger” after the story that tigers freely roamed in the temple that stood in the same spot nearly a century ago. Designed by a pupil of the same artist who created the whimsical White Temple, the Blue Temple showcases notes of contemporary art fused with traditional Buddhist and Thai styles of architecture. While the brilliance of the sapphire and gold walls with detailed floral motifs stand out, this temple embodies peace once you find yourself standing in the worship of the serene idol of Lord Buddha.
The Black House
Get ready to explore the darker themes of life with a visit to the Baan Dam or the Black House, created by artist Thawan Duchanee. Tour around the dark houses standing in a beautiful garden and glance at the artwork and sculptures, some even dating back to the Ayutthaya age. The unusual house goes ahead to exhibit life, death, desires, and sorrow through the vast collection of artifacts and artworks stored here. With peculiar displays such as snake skin, antlers, buffalo horns, and buffalo skulls, decipher the motifs of death and decay.
know before you go
COVID-19 Safety Information
- It is recommended that guests carry sanitation items and masks.
- It is requested to practice social distancing and proper respiratory and hand hygiene.
- It is mandatory to wear clothing that covers your knees and shoulders as you will be visiting sacred sites.
- It is recommended to carry a towel and to wear comfortable shoes.
- Free pick-up/drop-off is available only for guests staying in Chiang Mai central city, the surrounding areas of the Old City Wall in Chiang Mai Province, and areas within 2 km of the city area (Muang District).
- Daily: 7am
- 7am - 8am: Pick up from hotel/meeting point
- 9:30am: Stop at the Mae Khachan hot spring
- Noon: White Temple visit
- 1pm: Lunch (own expense)
- 2:30pm: Blue Temple visit
- 4pm: Black House visit
- 8pm - 9pm: Return
- Your voucher will be emailed to you instantly.
- Display the voucher on your mobile phone with a valid photo ID at the meeting point.
- You can either opt for pick up or choose to reach the meeting point directly.
- This ticket includes hotel pickups and drop-offs. In the next step of booking, please specify the name and address of your hotel.
- On the day of your tour, please arrive at your hotel lobby 10-15 minutes prior to the scheduled pickup time.
Meeting Point (If not opted for Hotel Pick-up)
- Meet your guide at Tha Phae Gate.
- Address: Thapae Rd, Chang Khlan Sub-district, Mueang Chiang Mai District, Chiang Mai 50200, Thailand.
- Landmark: McDonald's.
- Your guide will be holding a TripGuru sign waiting for you.
This ticket is valid for the date and time selected during checkout.