Full-Day Combo: Crypts & Catacombs and Legends & Ghosts of Rome Tour
Ancient ruins, macabre crypts, and catacombs buried deep beneath the dark heart of the empire - hidden beneath Rome’s modern streets bustling with people, shops and museums, lies dark and sinister secrets - executions, murders and perhaps a few hauntings. Join us on an eerie adventure where we leave no burial stone unturned.
- Visit the chilling Capuchin ‘Bone Chapel’ and descend below the 12th-century Basilica San Clemente.
- Explore the ancient tunnels of the Catacombs of Rome with an expert, English-speaking guide to accompany you throughout.
- Enjoy some free time on own to explore or enjoy an authentic Italian dinner.
- With an intimate group of only 22 people or fewer, let your imagination run wild as you are treated to the tales of gore and ghouls, grounded in genuine history.
- Expert, English-speaking guide
- Small groups of 22 people or less
- Tickets for the Catacombs of Rome, Basilica San Clemente and The Capuchin ‘Bone Chapel’
- All transfers in an air-conditioned coach (only for Crypts & Catacombs Tour)
- Guided storytelling tour of Rome’s historic center
Je annuleert deze tickets tot 24 uur voor de belevenis begint en krijgt een volledige terugbetaling.
Venture into the Eerie Roman Catacombs & Discover the Mystery Under Basilica San Clemente
We begin this ancient ghost tour in the 2nd century Roman Catacombs. An exhaustive spider web of tunnels which snake beneath the city, these macabre passageways were once the hiding places of early Christians who practiced their taboo religion in their shadowy safety. The tour continues to the rarely-visited 12th-century Basilica San Clemente. Hear the tale of the priest almost driven mad by the sound of running water no one else seemed to hear. Several years and countless hours sledge-hammering the solid structure later, he and his brothers discovered layers of Roman history buried beneath. Now you have the chance to tour through a 5th-century church, a 4th-century cult temple and descend ultimately to the original 1st-century street level where you’ll discover the ancient aqueduct that had plagued the once-peaceful priest.
Explore the Macabre Capuchin 'Bone Chapel' Followed by an Authentic Italian Evening Meal
Finally, we creep over to the Capuchin Crypt, or ‘Bone Chapel.” Lined with the skeletal remains of over 4,000 monks, see the empty eye sockets of history staring back at you from the craggy walls and ceilings. We’ll then allow you some free time to enjoy an authentic Italian dinner or to continue to explore the area on your own. Watch as the vibrant colors of the city glow in the golden hours of sunset. But as darkness descends, Rome shines in a new and wondrous way - each window sparkling like the stars high above them. From the Middle Ages to the Inquisition, the Renaissance to ancient mythology, with our expert English-speaking storyteller, you will cross the Tiber and into cobblestone piazzas, listening to tales of murders, intrigue, executions, and treachery. Then stand in awe before the home of the most notorious murderer Rome has ever known before visiting the legendary bridge where the ghost of the female Pope is thought to take residence.
Catacombs of Domitilla | The Basilica of San Clemente (inside visit) | The Capuchin Crypt and Museum (inside visit) | Campo dei Fiori | Tiber River | Castel Sant'Angelo (from the outside)
know before you go
know before you go
- Due to increased security measures at many attractions, some lines may form on tours with 'Skip the Line' access.
- Tours inside Capuchin Crypts will be with audio guides, instead of a guided tour as per the new rules imposed by the Capuchin Crypts.
This tour operates every day at 2:30 PM. This tour is 8.15 hours long.
This tour is available in English only.
The meeting point is located at in the center of Piazza Barberini, by the large Triton (Tritone) fountain.
Stops on this itinerary include religious sites, and attire must be appropriate for the visit. Both men and women are asked to wear clothing that covers at least the shoulders and knees. Failure to do so will result in denied entry.
Photography is not allowed in the sites visited on this tour, due to their religious nature.
You will receive an email confirmation with your mobile voucher shortly. Please display your vouchers on your mobile device along with a valid photo ID at the meeting point of your tour.