Dive into the fascinating history of Japanese railways at the Kyoto Railway Museum and admire a vast collection of vehicles, ranging from steam locomotives to Shinkansen bullet trains!
- Make your way to the Kyoto Railway Museum for a fun, interactive learning experience
- Watch train models run along replica tracks and admire the railway system in action
- Find out what it’s like to be a professional train conductor with a training simulator
- This museum displays 53 retired trains, from steam locomotives to more recent electric trains
- You may even observe the inner workings of a retired freight locomotive
- Tip: The museum’s restaurant is on the second floor and offers striking views of trains passing by
- This ticket is valid for 30 days from the date of purchase, offering maximum flexibility
- Admission into Kyoto Railway Museum
- SL steam experience fee
- Hotel transfers
- Food & drinks
These tickets can’t be cancelled. However, you can use them any time within the next 30 days.
These tickets are valid for 30 days from the date of purchase.
Sign on for a day of fun and excitement at the Kyoto Railway Museum, a place ideal for all age groups. It is considered one of Japan’s three greatest railway museums, alongside JR East’s Railway Museum in Saitama and JR Central’s SCMAGLEV & Railway Park in Nagoya!
This museum is comprised of 3 floors and exhibits 53 retired trains, including steam locomotives and Shinkansen bullet trains. You can even walk underneath and catch the inner workings of a retired freight locomotive! It further displays railway uniforms, belongings from past eras, and interesting tools. The interactive exhibitions will help spark up an interest in locomotives and mechanical engineering in children!
Pro tip: After a long day of sightseeing, head to the second floor for the museum’s restaurant. It is directly below an observation deck and offers stunning views of the passing trains along JR Kyoto Line!
know before you go
know before you go
- Food and drinks are not permitted inside the museum. However, the museum’s restaurant is located on the 2nd floor if you want to grab a bite
- Visitors may re-enter the museum after exit on the same day. Simply show your ticket again at the entrance to the museum staff
- There are audio guides available to rent (in English, Chinese, Korean, and Japanese). The rental fee is JPY500 per unit
- For “The SL Steam” experience please purchase at the steam locomotive boarding area.
- Coin lockers are available for rent located at the entrance and Main Building 1F of the museum. Locker rental fee varies by locker size (JPY200, JPY300, JPY500)
This museum is wheelchair and stroller accessible
- Mon, Tue & Thur-Sun: 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM (last admission at 4:30 PM)
- The museum remains closed on Wed
- Opening hours are subject to change during summer & spring
- Click here for the detailed museum calendar
- Your voucher will be emailed to you shortly
- Please display the voucher on your mobile phone with a valid photo ID at the museum
- If you have purchased reduced-price tickets, please carry a valid photo ID proof for verification. Students must show their valid student IDs
- Please arrive 10-15 minutes before the start time of your tour to avoid any delays
Ticket Redemption Point
- You can redeem the tickets directly at the attraction: Kyoto Railway Museum (Kankijicho, Shimogyo Ward, Kyoto, 600-8835, Japan)
Get Directions to the Redemption Point
- Closest bus stops are Umekoji Koen/JR Umekoji-Kyotonishi-eki-mae, both 3-minute walks to the museum
- Closest train station is Umekoji-Kyotonishi station, a 2-minute walk to the museum
This ticket is valid for 30 days from the date of purchase