Expert Guided Heli-Hike to Franz Josef Glacier
Gear up adventure seekers, for this exciting Heli-hike to the Franz Josef Glacier!
- Take wing to the steepest and the fastest moving glacier in New Zealand on a chopper.
- Be enthralled by the majestic panorama of the Southern Alps as you fly over its picturesque terrain.
- Don your crampons and set out to explore stunning ice caves, incredible ice formations of the glacial terrain and much more on a 2-hour professionally guided hike.
- You’re in for a day full of adventure (and safety) with expert mountaineering guides and all specialist equipment ready to make your glacial journey one to remember!
- Helicopter ride to the Franz Josef Glacier
- 2-hour long guided glacier hike
- English-speaking expert mountaineering guide
- Specialist equipment for hiking (glacier boots, socks, ice crampons, waterproof jacket and pants)
You can cancel these tickets up to 24 hours before the experience begins and get a full refund.
Glacier hikers, are you ready for a stirring journey into the wilderness? We’ve got you covered so let’s get started!
Your adventure begins at the Franz Josef Village base, where you will receive a proper safety briefing. Hop onto your helicopter ride aboard which you will admire the beautiful glacial landforms as you fly over the scenic landscapes, pristine waterfalls and past the glistening snow peaks. Next up you will alight on a section of the 12 km long Franz Josef Glacier in the Westland National Park and gear up for the real thrill with all the specialized equipment already set out for you and your icy expedition! Go on a 2-hour long hike with an expert English-speaking guide who unravels the history of this stunning glacier as you discover extraordinary ice caves, seracs and spectacular pinnacles. Brace yourself for a ton of fun 3000 meters above the ground! This experience promises stunning pictures for your Instagram grid and lifetime bragging rights. Your safety and enjoyment are all taken care of.
know before you go
know before you go
- Your flight is subject to favorable weather conditions; if canceled due to poor weather, you may reschedule your booking or request a full refund.
- This tour is classed as an adventure activity and carries a degree of risk; please be aware that your safety cannot be absolutely guaranteed since all risks cannot be eliminated. A balanced and conservative approach to safety management is taken.
- Agreeing to participate is your personal decision, accepting there are environmental and external elements outside human control that may cause harm.
- Franz Josef Glacier Guides have been assessed to meet or exceed the Health and Safety at Work (Adventure Activities) regulations 2016.
- For safety reasons, there is an overall weight limit of 120kg. Please be aware that if the gear takes your weight over 120kg, you will not be able to participate.
- Children need to be at least 8 years old, weigh at least 35kg and be at least 137cm tall to participate due to safety ratings with our harnesses.
- iPads or selfie sticks are not allowed on board for safety.
- All decisions regarding guests' participation in the Franz Josef Heli Hike are at the Senior Guide's discretion.
- Due to morning ice conditions, children are not permitted on the 11 am Heli Hike from 1st May to 30th September.
- Suitable for participants with moderate fitness levels.
- Not suitable for pregnant women, people with heart problems or other serious health conditions.
- Kindly bring along warm upper-body clothing (preferably 3-4 layers), sunglasses and sunscreen and a waterproof jacket (provided if you don't have one).
- Please follow the dress code: leggings or light trousers, shorts are acceptable. Please DO NOT wear jeans.
- The hiking tours depart at various times throughout the year. The duration of the entire experience is approximately 4 hours.
- The Flight Departs from and returns to The Helicopter Line Base.
- Your voucher will be emailed to you shortly.
- Please display your mobile voucher along with a valid photo ID at the ticket redemption point.
- Kindly ensure that you arrive 60 minutes before the start time of your tour to avoid any delays.
- Departs and returns from the Franz Josef Glacier Guides.
- Address: Glacier Base, 63 Cron Street, Franz Josef / Waiau 7886, New Zealand.
Get Directions to the Departure Location
- The closest bus stop is Franz Josef Bus Stop. It is a quick 1-minute walk to the departure point.