Experience Bulgaria Tour
Take a break and visit Bulgaria, located only a few hours from Bucharest. Explore rock-hewn churches, see a 5,000-year-old city, and more!
lo más destacado
- See the famous Rock-hewn Churches of Ivanovo, noted for their beautiful medieval frescoes.
- Tour Veliko Tarnovo, the City of Tsars - steeped in five thousand years of history.
- Follow your guide through one of Europe’s grandest medieval monuments, the Tsaravets Fortress.
- Explore the village of Arbanassi, a historic architectural reserve of monuments.
- Expert English-speaking tour guide
- Pick-up from meeting point
- Transportation by an air-conditioned van/minibus
- Lunch expenses – there will be a stop for lunch and you can eat together or individually
- Entrance fees
super flexible cancellation policy
Get a full refund on canceling this ticket up to 24h before the schedule.
If you're looking for a quick getaway from Bucharest, there's nothing quite like this small-group, full-day tour to Northern Bulgaria. After an hour of driving from Bucharest, you will have crossed the border to Bulgaria over the Danube River. Your first stop is at the Rock-hewn Churches of Ivanovo. These caves have been inhabited by monks from the 1220s to the 17th century. Their cells, churches, and chapels were hewn out of solid rock, and the area was labeled a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1979. Your guide will also point out the impressive 13th-14th century frescoes here - a sight to behold!
Next up is the City of Tsars, Veliko Tarnovo. Located on the banks of the Yantra River, it is one of Bulgaria's most beautiful cities. See its impressive fortress with the ruins of the former Tsarevets Palace and the patriarchal church. During the Middle Ages, this was among the main European centers of culture. Fascinatingly, the medieval atmosphere is well-preserved in the city thanks to the old architecture and the narrow streets where you can admire local artisans and their work.
For lunch, choose from the many excellent restaurants in Veliko Tarnovo and enjoy tasty Bulgarian food paired with one of their fine wines (not included in the ticket price). Continue onwards to the Village of Arbanassi, which is located very close to the city. Arbanassi is a quiet and picturesque village, known for the rich history and many historical monuments, such as 17th- and 18th-century churches and examples of Bulgarian National Revival architecture. At the end of the tour, you will be dropped off back in Bucharest.
know before you go
- Wear comfortable shoes as there is a moderate amount of walking involved.
- Temperatures can drop down to low levels here, so make sure to wear warm clothes.
- Photography is allowed, however you are not permitted to use flash or tripods.
- This tour is not available for children aged under 7 years, or for people with walking (stairs-climbing) disabilities.
- Ivanovo churches are closed between 1st Dec and the 31st Mar. During this period, you will visit the Roman ruins from Nicopolis Ad Istrum or the Basarbovski Rock Monastery.
- By taking this tour, please remember that you are leaving Romania and entering Bulgaria. Please ensure that your Visa requirements are in order and that you carry your passport (or ID card for citizens of EU states).
- Ivanovo Churches
- Veliko Tarnovo
- Daily at 8:00 AM
- Holidays: 25-26th Dec, 1-2nd Jan, Orthodox Easter Holiday
Children aged 7-11yrs enjoy reduced ticket pricing (carry a valid photo ID).
- Your voucher will be emailed to you instantly.
- Please display your mobile voucher along with a valid photo ID to your guide.
- If you have purchased reduced-price tickets, please carry your valid photo ID proof for verification.
- Kindly ensure that you arrive 15 minutes before the start time of your tour to avoid any delays.
- Meet your guide in front of the Romanian Athenaeum just in front of the little garden (1-3 Franklin St., Sector 1, Bucharest), next to Athenee Palace Hilton Hotel.
Get Directions to the Meeting Point
- Catch bus #126 or 368 to Luterana bus stop.
This ticket is valid for the date and time selected during checkout.