Medieval Bulgaria Tour: Day Trips from Bucharest
- Visit some of Bulgaria's must-visit cities and towns on this day trip from Bucharest.
- Explore the Ivanovo Rock Churches, Veliko Turnovo, Arbanassi Village, Ruse, and more.
- With round-trip transfers and the expertise of a tour guide, you're good to go.
- Gasp at the UNESCO World Heritage Site of the Ivanovo Rock Churches.
- Visit the old town of Veliko Turnovo, the capital of the second Bulgarian Empire.
- Stand on top of a hill and peer at the 12th-century landmark, the Tsarevets fortress.
- Scout the Samovodene Artisans Street, peppered with well-preserved workshops.
- Step back in time as you wander the streets of Arbanassi, an architectural reserve with 16-century houses and churches.
- Discover the European-style Bulgarian city of Ruse, where the city's first lift was installed in 1896.
- Notice the Main Square, Palace of Justice, the Pantheon, and the Neo-Gothic Church of Saint Paul, etc.
- This ticket is available as a private or shared tour.
- Expert tour guide
- Round-trip hotel transfers with free WiFi onboard
- Bottled water
- Skip-the-line access to attractions
- Personal expenses
super flexible cancellation policy
Get a full refund on canceling this ticket up to 24 hours before the schedule.
Your tour begins bright and early from your hotel in Bucharest. Meet your tour guide and board a comfortable vehicle that will take you towards the Romanian and Bulgarian border. Cross the Danube River and the Friendship Bridge to reach Bulgaria. On your way to Veliko Tarnovo, you'll stop at the Rock-Hewn Churches- the Bulgarian Medieval churches, chapels, and monastic cells hewn into the craggy gorge of Roussenski Lom River.
Continue on to Veliko Tarnovo, a city rich in museums and historical sites by day, and crawling with a vivacious nightlife by night. Walk along the Artisans Streets, passing by well-preserved workshops. Hike up the Tsarevets Hill to explore the Fortress, the Patriarchal Church, the Royal Palace, and Emperor Balduin’s Tower. Step back in time as you wander the streets of Arbanassi, a city lined with houses and churches dating back to the 16th century. Stop for lunch at one of the many hip restaurants for a local treat, introducing you to the lip-smacking Bulgarian cuisine.
Walk through Ruse next, the first European-style city in Bulgaria. Lined with curb pavements, Viennese lanterns, and catering establishments, this city has much cultural charm. Bulgaria’s first lift was installed here in 1896! Pass by the Main Square, Palace of Justice, Catholic Boarding School, French College, the Pantheon, and the Neo-Gothic Church of Saint Paul, and more, before journeying back to Bucharest.
know before you go
This ticket has the following variants that you can choose from:
- Shared Tour
- Private Tour
Guided Tour Languages
- The shared tour is available in English only.
- The private tour is available in English, Spanish, French, Italian & German.
COVID Safety Information
- All areas that customers frequently touch are sanitized.
- Contactless payments and online bookings are required.
- Guests may/may not be subject to temperature checks beforehand.
- All guests are recommended to bring along face masks for safety.
- It is recommended to maintain social distancing with other guests (2 meters apart).
- Regularly sanitize your hands. Sanitizers are available upon request.
- This tour is not wheelchair accessible.
- Infant seats are available upon request.
- Rock Hewn Churches next to the village of Ivanovo
- Veliko Tarnovo
- Artisans Street
- Tsarevets Hill
Daily from 7:30 AM onwards.
24, 25 & 31 Dec, 1 Jan & Easter day.
- Your voucher will be emailed to you instantly.
- Please display the voucher on your mobile phone with a valid photo ID while boarding.
- Please arrive 10-15 minutes before the start time of your tour to avoid delays.
- This ticket includes hotel pickups and drop-offs.
- This is applicable to all centrally-located hotels and other accommodations.
- On the day of your tour, please report at your hotel lobby 10-15 min prior to your scheduled departure.
- If your hotel does not have a lobby, please wait at the entrance of the hotel.
- Your Headout host will be waiting for you here.
This ticket is valid for the date and time selected during checkout.