Buckingham Palace State Rooms Tour with Changing of the Guard
Get a chance to witness the legendary Changing of the Guards ceremony at Buckingham Palace before being escorted into the extraordinary royal household and elegant residence of the Queen of England only open to the public for two months out of the entire year! Learn more about the palace as you delve into its charming rooms filled with paintings and antique furniture with the help of an audioguide.
- See the iconic ‘Changing of the Guard’ ceremony at the Buckingham Palace before being escorted into the Palace itself.
- Enjoy walking through the State Rooms as you witness numerous masterpieces by legendary painters like Rembrandt, Canaletto, and, Rubens.
- Admire the antique French and English furniture scattered throughout the palace.
- Learn more about Buckingham Palace from your audio guide, which is available in English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Japanese, Chinese, Russian and Brazilian Portuguese.
Nothing embodies Britain’s spirit of pomp and royalty like the Changing of the Guard. It begins at 11 AM on the forecourt of Buckingham Palace if the weather is suitable and lasts for about 45 minutes. The process primarily involves guards, clad in bearskin caps and scarlet tunics, musically supported by the Regiment Band, exchanging the responsibility of protecting the Queen in her residence. Watching the elaborate ceremony is thoroughly fascinating, and with your guide at your side explaining the significance and origins of this tradition, you can be sure that it will be a highlight of your visit to the Palace.
After the ceremony, you can enjoy special timed entry to the Palace, and with your personal audio guide, explore the lavish rooms at your will. See the 19 State Rooms that are used by the members of the royal family themselves. Be dazzled by the 47 metre-long Picture Gallery and look at some of the most spectacular paintings in the Royal Collection
Though guides are not allowed to speak inside the palace, your guide will regale you with tales of the members of the Royal Family who have lived in the Palace at one point or the other so you have context for the historical audio commentary you will receive in a language of your choice allowing you to learn more about the venue. Gain valuable insights and information about the Buckingham Palace as you stroll the halls and discover the secrets of the palace.
You will also get to visit the Buckingham Palace Gardens once your exit the palace and meet up with your guide once more. Home to around 350 species of wild flowers out of which some are rare, the garden also plays home to over 30 species of birds. Your tour will end with a walk along the south stretch with splendid views of the palace and the iconic lake.
- Expert, English-speaking tour guide
- Small groups of 25 people or fewer
- Entrance ticket for Buckingham Palace
- Headsets when appropriate, so that you can always hear your guide
Know Before You Go
This tour is available daily at 10 and 10:30 AM. Visits to the palace last for an average of 2½ hours.
Your guide will accompany you during the Changing of the Guard ceremony and help you gain access to the Palace beyond which you will have your audio guide to provide commentary. You will meet up with your guide once again when you exit the palace.
Restrictions and Notices
- For safety reasons, pushchairs are not permitted in the State Rooms. They must be checked in and reclaimed at the exit. Baby-carriers are available for loan.
- A one-way system operates along the entire visitor route so be sure to check out the attractions thoroughly as you won’t be allowed to revisit them.
- Photography and filming are allowed for private use only and only in the Palace Gardens.
- This tour is not meant for individuals with impaired movement.
Moderate Cancellation Policy
You may cancel up to 24 hours in advance for a full refund.
I wanted to visit the Buckingham Palace since I was a kid and have to say, it was a memorable experience.
The tour to the rooms is simply beautiful, everything is so classy and of course royal.
This is a very rare opportunity, since they only open it for two months throughout the year
You will receive an email confirmation along with a mobile voucher instantly. Please display your voucher on your mobile device along with some valid photo ID at the meeting point located at the Duke of York Column. A tour coordinator will be wearing blue polo shirt or jacket at the meeting point for easy recognition and holding a sign with the tour name.
Your tickets are only valid for the date and time selected at the time of booking.
Duke of York Column, Waterloo Place, 9 Carlton House Terrace, London