Crypts & Catacombs at Night: With Exclusive After Hour Access
Experience the catacombs in a way only a select few do! Get exclusive access to the Roman Catacombs after the closing time and enjoy a semi-private tour of this iconic attraction with a tour guide. Learn more about the Catacombs and the Capuchin Crypts and Museum on this combo tour that lets you explore two of Rome’s top attractions.
- Go inside Rome’s Catacombs at night for a one-of-a-kind unforgettable experience in Rome
- 2.5 hours exclusive walking tour with a small group size, maximum 15 people
- See over 4,000 monk skeletons stare back at you in the Capuchin ‘Bone Chapel’ which dates back to early 16th century.
- Services of a professional local tour guide who is fluent in English
- Descend beneath a 12th century Basilica through a 5th century cult temple and ultimately to an original 1st century Roman street and aqueduct. Talk about time-travelling!
- Visit the site where early Christians worshipped during the time of Nero and walk through history in the 2nd century Catacombs of Rome
Why You Shouldn’t Miss This
Hidden beneath the church of Santa Maria della Concezione dei Cappuccini lies a small space comprising of several tiny chapes. The chapels contains the skeletal remains over 4,000 Capuchin friars buried by their order. The order insists the display is nothing but a reminder of the our own mortality. The oldest skeletal remains at the Capuchin Crypts dates back to early 16th century with skeletons being as old as the late 19th century. Religion, art or obscenity? Take your own decision after you learn more about the myths and traditions of the Capuchin Order when you visit the Capuchin Museum. Tickets are included as part of the tour.
Santa Priscilla Catacombss
Get exclusive access to the Santa Priscilla Catacombs at night. Popularly called “Queen of Catacombs” the Santa Priscilla Catacombs are host to papal tombs and other notable relics. Seven early popes and some martyrs were buried in the cemetery here. It is also said that the relics of Saint Philomena were found here.
Despite the rich heritage behind the Santa Priscilla Catacombs, what makes this experience truly special and unique, is the night-time tour. Traversing through the historic roman catacombs at night is a thrilling and exciting experience in itself. Add to that an experienced guide to narrate stories and facts through the duration of the tour, and you have the recipe for something magical.
Hidden beneath the city of Rome lie the famous, and infamous, Roman catacombs. Today a very popular tourist attraction, the catacombs often get noisy and over-crowded. But, that’s only during the day. This tour takes you to the labyrinth of the past at night! Navigate through the passages that were created by Rome’s first Christians with a professional guide and enjoy the best night walking tour in Rome.
But before you get to the catacombs, you will visit the Capuchin Crypt. Step back in time to the 16th century as you go under the hidden tunnels at the church of Santa Maria della Concezione dei Cappuccini. Over here, decorated in a series of tiny chapels, lie the skeletal remains of 4,000 monks. There is no clear indication on how or why the process began, the end result is definitely creepy and unique.With light fixtures made from spines, a coat of ‘arms’ and full skeletons wearing their monk’s robes; you’re guaranteed a one-of-a-kind sight. You will also get tickets to the Capuchin Museum where your guide will show you strange mementos of monks and a painting which is supposedly by famous artist ‘Caravaggio.’
After your tour of the Capuchin Crypt and Museum you will board a private vehicle for a journey across town to see the highlights of this tour. The Santa Priscilla Catacombs.
To visit the Roman Catacombs at night is a captivating experience. Add to that the fact that you’re visiting the Santa Priscilla Catacombs and you’re guaranteed to be in for a treat. Known as the “Queen of the Catacombs” in antiquity, the catacombs are home to the oldest known drawing of the Virgin Mary. They also provide the resting place for seven early popes and a handful of martyrs who died at a time when their religious was severely persecuted.
Ask your guide any question you might have on this experience which you will not forget.
Sites Visited - Capuchin ‘Bone’ Crpyt - Capuchin Museum - Santa Priscilla Catacombs
- Exclusive access to Rome Catacombs at night
- Admission to Capuchin Crypt & Museum
- Round-trip transport between sites
- Expert local tour guide fluent in English
Know Before You Go
The tour happens daily and goes on for two-and-a-half hours. Please note: there are some blackout days each month due to the venues not being available for a tour.
4:45 PM Tour
- 01 April 2018 - 15 October 2018 Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Fridays, Sundays
5:30 PM Tour
- 01 April 2018 - 31 October 2018 Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Fridays, Sundays
6:00 PM Tour
- 01 April 2018 - 31 October 2018 Daily
6:15 PM Tour
- 01 April 2018 - 31 October 2018 Mondays, Thursdays
Known Blackout Dates:
- 4:45 PM: 01 April 2018, 08 April 2018, 29 June 2018
- 5:30 PM: 01 April 2018, 08 April 2018, 29 June 2018
- 6:00 PM: 31 March 2018, 01 April 2018, 02 April 2018, 08 April 2018, 29 June 2018, 15 August 2018
- 6:15 PM: 29 June 2018
Meet your guide in Piazza Barberini, just by the fountain in the middle of the square. Please arrive at the meeting point 15 minutes before your tour start time to meet your guide.
Meeting Point Directions
If you are traveling by public transport there is a metro station that stops here called "Barberini," which is two stops west of Termini train station. The fountain in the center of the piazza is called the Triton Fountain, by Bernini, and the street that descends from it is Via del Tritone.
- The sites on this itinerary include holy places and as such require a decorum for attire. Men and women must cover their shoulders and knees. You may bring extra covering and put them on before the entrance to the holy areas. - There will be plenty of walking on the tour so do make sure you wear comfortable walking footwear. - You may only carry a small backpack/handbag inside the Colosseum.
This tour is not advised for individual with any movement difficulties. The tour also goes through underground passages and is not appropriate for individuals suffers from claustrophobia.
Photography and Cameras
Photography and cameras are not allowed in the sites visited on this tour due to their religious nature.
These tickets can be cancelled 3 days in advance for a full refund.
Enjoyable tour with a knowledgable guide - Gabriel
A knowledgeable guide who can point out interesting things that you may have missed.
We booked this Exclusive access to Rome Catacombs at night tour after reading some great reviews online. It does not dissappiint you.
How To Use Your Ticket
You will receive an email with your ‘Crypts & Catacombs at Night: With Exclusive After Hours Access’ voucher attached. You can show the voucher on your mobile phone. Proceed to the meeting point with a valid photo ID.
Your ticket is valid only on the day for which you’ve scheduled the experience.
In Piazza Barberini, just by the fountain in the middle of the Square, Roma