The Galeries Lafayette
Enter the Lafayette Galeries and discover an iconic store and a national monument which is visited by more than 100,000 visitors each day.
Lafayette Galeries Highlights
- Enjoy a guided tour of the Lafayette Galeries, popularly called the theatre of fashion.
- Discover different artistic styles and compositions within the Lafayette.
- Take in panoramic views from the terrace of the galleries.
- Explore over 70,000 square meters of artistic and cultural expression at the Lafayette.
Opened on January 15, 1894, the modest shop of novelties was quickly a great success. On the facade of the building, several styles follow one another, demonstrating the successive enlargements of the store: Haussmann, Art Nouveau, Art Deco, and the drugstore spirit of the 1960s. At the center of this unique heritage property is the neo-byzantine dome, the heart of this theater of fashion.
This guided tour will take you through the aisles of the store, across the emblematic spaces of the place and take the staff private elevators to the panoramic terrace. You will understand how the founders of the department store invented an architecture adapted to the needs of commerce. Borrowed from the architectural vocabulary of the sacred as well as that of the spectacle, the dome, the balconies and the monumental staircase turn the heads of visitors. Your guide will tell you the history of the majestic dome built in record time and the hidden message behind the 10 coats of arms which surmount the pillars of the great hall.
Know Before You Go
The tour is available on Mondays and Saturdays at 11:00 am.
Children below 5 years of age are not permitted on the tour.
The easiest way to get here is by taking the metro to Chaussee d’Antin La Fayette (M 7 and M 9)
The tour starts at the ground floor of the main store, between the stands of Dior and Fendi (entrance side Boulevard Haussmann). Please arrive 10 minutes prior to the departure.
All cancellations/rescheduling requests made 72 hours prior to the start time of your experience will be processed for free without any additional charges.
• You will receive an email with your tour tickets in a few minutes.
• Please take a print out of your e-voucher.
• Display the printed tickets at the meeting point to gain access.
• Your experience is valid for the day you’ve booked the experience.
- Children below the age of 5 years are not permitted on the tour